UK may vote to leave the European Union

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Mr. Deez, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Nothing personal but I am on the protestors side

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I don't take it personally. We're always told to stay away from political protests whether they're for a good cause or bad one. The reason is that European protests often get violent. If they're going to go the trouble of putting down their wine or lattes to protest, they're really pissed off and ready to fight. They aren't there to play around.

Personally, I don't condone these people starting fires, but I sympathize with their cause. France raised its diesel tax by €.076 per liter and then raised it again by €.065. That's like raising the gas tax by $.33 per gallon and then following it up by another $.28 per gallon. And of course, France is doing it for environmental reasons. These people are pissed for good reason.

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Quite a few US soldiers in Europe were killed by leftists in the 1970s and 80s

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, they know damned good and well the environment isn't going to change one tiny little bit because of this tax hike. They really ought to simply "Mussolini" all the bureaucrats involved.

5. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

France needs a black market in bio-diesel. There is a real market opportunity there.

6. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

And if I lived anywhere near Germany, Belgium, Italy, or even Switzerland, I'd leave the country to fill up. Fuel definitely isn't cheap in those countries, but I doubt it's as pricey after these tax hikes.

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

BREXIT sentiment continues to spread - the VOX party making some noise in the Andulsian (Spain) elections

8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Frankly, if the Right had any brains, they'd use these riots and the reasons for them to counter the climate change talk. As the issue is currently framed, people basically haggle over whether you "believe in climate change" or if you're a "denier" and therefore, a science-hating idiot. Instead of letting that kind of superficial stupidity drive the debate, they should direct attention to the climate change agenda (which is virtually never discussed) and its costs. Point to what European countries are dealing with - outrageously expensive energy and obscene fuel taxes. If the people choose that, then so be it, but don't let the issue get settled on stupid pissing matches about who likes science and who doesn't.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  9. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

The Right, meaning Republicans, doesn't have any brains. I find Libertarians have more brains, but there are some kooky ones so the reasonable ones get white washed.

10. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Most Libertarians are reasonable if you can keep them from talking about foreign policy. They can also get nutty on drug laws - not because they support legalization but because they are just a bit too enthusiastic about it at times. Lol.

11. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

I am starting to agree with them on foreign policy generally. Less budget, less intervention, less entanglements with sketchy people.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Something called the "European Court of Justice" is attempting to give May an out. It just issued an advisory opinion saying May would be allowed to legally reverse the triggering of Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty - a decision that would effectively reverse the Brexit process. Can read it here if interested. This one is better organized than many ZH articles

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Battle Royale with Cheese

[​IMG]

14. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

The report is true. The State can do whatever it wants as long as it references some law in their logic. The people have no power to stop them. Shows you powerful votes actually are.

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Timely metaphor

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

A no confidence vote in May has been triggered by her MPs.
    48 letters received

Live, if interested
    Some interesting comments (including some comedy)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Conservative lawmakers in Britain have enough votes for a no-confidence vote on Prime Minister Theresa May's role as party leader

Only if you saw the movie .....

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  18. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

That is actually a video to revote on Brexit. It is Remainers trying to get another crack at it. Serkis is a circus. They need to oust May soon and do the thing the people already voted to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I just thought it was funny

In any event, the UK Leadership Contest has been triggered with the minimum threshold of 15% of the Conservative Parliamentary Party.
    However, the markets think she has it covered

20. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Oh, it was funny. Good that he made fun of the Prime Minister and not Islam or he would be in jail by now.

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

May wins 200 - 117

22. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Next step a riot of soccer hooligans?

23. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

The people voted for Brexit. Period.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They did, but some of them thought that leaving wouldn't have any meaningful downsides. If they can remain in the EU's free trade area, then great. However, if they can't reach a deal, that's not going to happen. And that will definitely impact the UK. Furthermore, Trump claimed that the US would make a free trade deal with the UK within 90 days of taking office. That would have softened the blow significantly, but obviously that didn't happen.

I still think they should leave. Regaining one's sovereignty usually requires war and bloodshed. A less than ideal trade arrangement (for awhile at least) is pretty tame by comparison. However, it is a meaningful economic cost that they will have to adjust to.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Has May even tried to negotiate for what the people expected? I thought, no. She left a bunch of political ties to the EU in her proposal.

26. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

The UK kept the pound. Compromises were clearly made there. You dont need to be in the EU to have trade agreements and immigration programs. This is all a dog and pony show.

27. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Basically the EU is fighting tooth and nail to keep the UK. If they leave the template is set for others to. They can't allow UK to leave and remain in the free trade area. If so the EU allows countries to trade without having any political power. That would be an excellent set up for the Continent but it would end the power of bureaucrats in Brussels. Typical of bureaucrats, priority number one is keeping and growing their own power.

• Winner Winner x 1
  28. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

You are correct. However, the dynamic is different here. If the EU readily gives the UK a favorable trade agreement, then nobody will want to stay in the EU. It's not a particularly popular institution right now and is an easy target. The EU's leaders act like dicks, which doesn't help. In addition, people are starting to figure out that the EU often operates as a mechanism for huge German companies to kick the hell out of the rest of the continent. They really can't afford to give anyone an easy out.

29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Yep. And that's what's sad. If they had just left the EU as a free trade area and left the busybody regulators and virtue signalers out of the equation, it could have been a great institution.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

MrD
    I appreciate your views on this and are helping me understand. From this side of the pond it seems simple to me. If the UK wants to be free again they should

Why does Nigel think it is a bad idea?

• Like Like x 1