UK may vote to leave the European Union

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Mr. Deez, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez 10,000+ Posts

What do you mean by "tampered with?" O haven't heard that.

2. OUBubba

OUBubba 1,000+ Posts

EU referendum won through fraud, whistleblower tells MPs

Tampered was probably a poor use of words. I'd call the vote questionable. It was really similar to the active measures utilized in the 2016 election here and that we're going to see next year. Actions that the current administration not only is not trying to stop but is encouraging.

Republicans Are Doing a Good Job Blocking Efforts to Fight Russian Meddling in 2020

Trump’s alleged attempts to force Ukraine to meddle in 2020 election being investigated

3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

It would be nice if it was detailed exactly how Russia is meddling.
    If that were known steps could be taken. Just to say Russia is trying to interfere with infrastructure doesn't give local election people anything to work with.

4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez 10,000+ Posts

Barry, this is the first I've heard of this. If there was anything to it, I presume the Remain crowd would be making an issue of it rather than full-blown sabotage. Treason is usually a last resort, not a first.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Well, they aren't getting to see what one looks like with a loyal opposition giving a genuine effort to make the best of a situation where they didn't get their way, they are getting to see what an undermined and sabotaged Brexit looks like.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad 2,500+ Posts

The wheels on the bus go round and round...

7. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez 10,000+ Posts

What it shows is that their loyalty is to the EU rather than to the UK. It's the difference between opposing a war (which is defensible) and actively helping the enemy win the war (which is not).

As I've indicated before, there is a legitimate argument to remain. I don't buy it, but it's a reasonable position. There's an argument that the UK should accept the EU-dictated Brexit terms that Theresa May pitched, though I think this is the weakest argument. However, there isn't a legitimate argument to undermine the UK's bargaining power by arbitrarily asking for an extension when they've made it clear that they're not going to work with you. That's just raw sabotage and disloyalty. 150 years ago, they'd hang for something like this.

• Hot Hot x 1