UK may vote to leave the European Union

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Mr. Deez, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It's in dispute. Over half the eye-witnesses who were asked claim he did not say that.

2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Frankly, that makes me suspicious and wonder what the hell's going on. I doubt that anyone had this staged, but do I think politicians are above telling witnesses to lie? Hell no.

3. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Polling taken after Jo Cox's murder shows support for remaining in EU to have dropped. Link.

4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

• Like Like x 1
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Polling is close

A new Survation just came out
    45% REMAIN, 44% BREXIT

this represents an increase for Brexit over their last one -- 45%, REMAIN, 42% BREXIT

There is more polling due out in next 1.5 days
    ComRes (Today)
    YouGov, TNS, Opinium (Wed)
    Ipsos-Mori (Thur)

Poll results alone can rock the markets. And since the vote in on a Thursday, an epic market Friday is possible

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Latest from the bettors - they say its over = no Brexit

[​IMG]

9. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Wow...my money is on the betters.

10. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Another good article by George Friedman.

11. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Am I the only one who loathes the term "Brexit"? It's even worse than "chillax"...

Seems to me being the UK in the EU is like being the USA in the UN ... there are some benefits, yes, but you also end up putting in a lot more than you're getting out.

12. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

John Oliver's take on the British-EU referendum (written out for Statalyzer).

13. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

It's interesting watching the futures markets gyrate as the votes begin to come in. S&P futures have fluctuate between 2119 and 2088 in just the last 1 1/2 hours. That's enormous volatility.

14. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

WOW

• Like Like x 1
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  18. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Preview for Trump. By way, if Hillary is leading by 4 points or less in the polls, it means Trump is winning. Here's why: British polls were not wrong - there was a large percentage of uncertains that broke for brexit.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  19. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

ITV predicts 85% that Leave vote wins. Nice. I think I might test ride a Norton motorcycle this weekend.

Hillary should be worried.

20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Dude, Trump is in the UK now. He can visit with Boris, saying that UK will be front of the line when he is president. The two new leaders.

21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I, too, think it bodes well for Trump.
    It is the same cultural zeitgeist
    Enough with open borders
    Enough globalism
    The middle class/working class has been curb-stomped and forgotten, while the globalist-elites LOL at them from their private jets.

It's a big loser for Obama too. Brits didnt like him telling them what to do either. Go figure. Soros too.

Also the polls in the UK showing Bremain were not just wrong but possibly intentionally false. Brexit was ahead as soon as the referendum was announced. Would anyone put it past these people to have cooked the polls with the various media in an attempt to sway the vote? They were desperate.

22. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

BBC and ITV just called it for Leave.

I think Nelson would be smiling right now.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Cleverly timed trip by Trump.

US media, of course, made fun of it.
    But he low-keyed it. If Bremain won, no big deal. But now he can get a few pics with Boris & Farage, troll Hillary and Obama hard on twitter.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  24. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

#LeaveWins

• Like Like x 1
  25. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

David Cameron to step down. Link. I'm not a David Cameron hater, but he was on the wrong side of this and did engage in the ludicrous fearmongering. At least he has the decency to move on.

The results are a bit surprising. I expected England to vote to Leave, but I didn't think Wales would be on board. Furthermore, though Scotland voted resoundingly to Remain, I assumed it would be a bigger blowout - in the 70 or 80 percent range. I think we can expect talk of a new referendum on Scottish independence in the next few years. For whatever reason, they just have a deep desire to join the EU and adopt the Euro. Stupid.

Also, if any of you have been considering visiting the UK, now would be a good time. The Pound Sterling dropped to its lowest level in over 30 years. Link. When I was last in London, £1 was worth $1.65. It's now at $1.35.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

There was a lot of money to be made out there last night ......

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Trump: "I think perhaps President Obama's recommendation on Brexit caused it to fail"

• Like Like x 1
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

30. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Jeremy Corbyn also under fire. A no-confidence motion has been issued by some Labour MPs. Link.

Corbyn's played this issue somewhat strangely and frankly, foolishly. He was pro-Remain, but he was tepid in his support. As an old school labor union thug, he's probably more economically nationalist than most modern liberals are, and he has been eurosceptic in the past. It wouldn't surprise me if he personally voted to Leave.

However, I've read that rank and file Labour voters were far more pro-Leave than most expected, and millions voted for it. That's why Labour-leaning Wales voted for it. By being pro-Remain, Corbyn lost the support of many rank and file Labour voters, but by half-assing his support, the gentry elite liberals within the Labour Party are blaming him for Remain losing.