UK may vote to leave the European Union

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Mr. Deez, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That could be it. She also may have been OK with being a princess but didn't know what the hell that means. She probably assumed it meant she could just wear fancy clothes, party, and hang around castles for the rest of her life. She probably didn't realize that though that's part of it, there are responsibilities as well - public appearances, having to behave a certain way, etc.

Being royal isn't all fun and games. I read an interview with Prince Georg Friedrich (the guy who would be the Kaiser if the Kaiserreich was restored). He said that if the monarchy was restored, he'd serve because he'd feel like it was his duty. However, he says he'd never hope for that to happen and is much happier than his ancestors were. They were powerful men, but he said the responsibility and attention that came with it put them under horrific levels of stress that he'd never want to endure. He says he's happy to basically be a professional rich guy living in a castle with a hot wife and who isn't expected to do much.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It's kind of an old concept
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

If you watch "The Crown" on Netflix you will get a good sense of the duty that is involved. There are rules you have to follow if you want to get to live in all that luxury with money thrown at you. Some are up to it, and some are not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It's very onerous, and there's constant scrutiny and attention. And that's what a relatively weak monarch like the UK's deals with. I can't imagine what it must have been like for monarchs who were expected to wield real power.

5. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Monarchs in many ways had more incentive to rule faithfully than democratically elected officials. Monarchs would leave the kingdom to their sons. Democratic leaders don't have such a close tie to care about.

They could care about the nation or their people. But loyalty to nation is several orders of magnitude less than loyalty to a son.

Leaving the kingdom in a healthy condition so your son would have a chance to rule without being killed in an overthrow would stress you out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

All of Europe needs to dump Huawei

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This is the new "woke"

8. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Britons seem to be smarter than American liberals.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

they are the old, tired "woke"

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

maybe the old broke woke?

11. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Like I said in the other thread, the media's agenda is different. They are covering for China, because they are trying to damage Trump. That isn't the case in the UK or in Germany.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

True, but I'm also talking about your average liberal who isn't a journalist. They're putting the blame where it belongs. There's no way you could get the kind of poll numbers that's on Joe Fan's meme here in the States.

13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

You're right, but is that because American liberals are truly different from British liberals, or is it because they listen to different media? Even media outlets that aren't big fans of Johnson and Merkel are far more measured than the American media is about Trump.

14. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

That I don't know. All I know is that I can actually have a decent debate with a British or Canadian liberal. It's difficult with an American lib.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Others that are smarter than American liberals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The birthday girl

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

... of all places

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The UK government has given the Premier League permission to return on June 1

20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

But they won't open visa offices so I can move.

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Maybe the Brits know how close you are to Farage and this is retribution

• Funny Funny x 2
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

A large chunk of Brits seem to be happy to hunker down and shut off all immigration.
    Go figure

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• poop poop x 2
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I don't think the EU will break up over this. However, it is remarkable how weak and pathetic the EU looks in this. On a continent-wide crisis, you'd think the EU would be taking the lead. They aren't, and frankly I'm surprised. I would have assumed they'd be exploiting this to seize more power. Instead, they're mostly sitting on their asses and letting the national governments deal with it

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

27. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

28. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

It IS as simple as Nigel says. As long as illegals are allowed to stay in any country thry will keep coming.
    Liked his Bermuda shorts

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Were you engaged in maritime warfare?

• Funny Funny x 3
  30. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

He farted in France’s general direction.

• Funny Funny x 4