Ukraine updates

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by OUBubba, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

2. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

The sad thing is that Russia is conscripting anti-war protestors who were in jail and sending them into the war. Bad bad stuff. I think Russia shut off the roads into Georgia earlier. Eastern European countries aren't letting Russians in either because they don't think they can trust them. I get the idea but it would be great to let all those who want no part of the war to move out of both countries, even though that would cause other issues with the mass migration.

3. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

Just like the US, Russia has invested in expensive, high-tech missiles. But Iran has developed inexpensive, less sophisticated drones which are far more cost effective and thus far, Ukraine doesn't have an air defense mechanism that can defeat them. An S-300 missile, whether it hits the drone or not, is very expensive compared to the cost of the drone; and that's excluding the damage inflicted by the drone. Russia is steadily destroying the electric grid with the Iranian drones at low cost and at the same time preserving their high tech arsenal of missiles.

4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They're pushing the narrative that the GOP is soft on Russia and weak on Ukraine for the midterm election. The letter kills that point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

So funny. How can you be so dumb to send a letter like this that you didn't mean to?

"One of the letter’s signatories, Rep. Sara Jacobs, D-Calif.,said Tuesday morning that she signed the letter in early summer and would not have done so now.

'Timing in diplomacy is everything,' Jacobs said. 'I signed this letter on June 30, but a lot has changed since then. I wouldn't sign it today. We have to continue supporting Ukraine economically and militarily to give them the leverage they need to end this war.'"

Thanks for clarifying, Sara!

Progressive Democrats retract letter to Biden urging diplomatic end to war in Ukraine

7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Isn’t this Ukrainian official making Putin’s case for the war?

9. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They did that with Germans in Eastern Europe after WWII. They knew that German minorites were loyal to and cooperated with the Reich immediately prior to and during the war. Once the war was over, they expelled almost all of them, and ostracized the few who remained.

I got a feel for that in Czech Republic when I was in a candy shop. The attendant didn't speak English, but since she kinda "looked German," I asked if she spoke German. She looked around for a few seconds, leaned in and quietly mumbled, "Ja." It was obviously something she didn't want celebrated and about which she had a degree of shame.

The Ukrainians understandably feel the same about Russians.

10. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

These Russian speakers have lived in Ukraine their whole lives. Before that the Ukrainian SSR. They are citizens of the country. But since 2014 the Ukrainian government has been attacking them. Maybe it is understandable on some level, but it led to them killing 1000s of Russian speakers.

Also, keep this in mind. Ukraine outlawed Russian speaking in 2015 or so. When this government official mentions fully extinguishing, he is talking about more killing or less than that pretty severe harrassment. Will that make Russian speaking Ukrainians more or less loyal to the government? If Ukraine retakes Donbas and Crimea what does that mean for all those Russian speakers? What they are talking about doing will be a very heinous crime.

It also gives Russia cover for saying they are protecting these people. If you are truly against the Russian invasion then you can't continue to give them a narrative to use for justification for war.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Ukraine and russian speaking, or ideological struggle. Those are straw man arguments. Obama’s CIA, and DOD overthrew Ukraine in 2014. Since then they built 46 Bio Weapon Labs! In Ukraine. Now they have a dirty bomb tactical nuke to detonate there before the midterm election. Wake Up!

12. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

The micro conflict is Russia vs Ukraine which has to do with cultural clashes between an anti-Russian western Ukraine population whose government was put in place by the US vs a pro-Russian eastern Ukraine population that has been brutalized for eight years. The eastward expansion of NATO figures into this because it is seen as a threat to Russia.

The macro conflict is the US empire vs the emerging multi-polar world led by Russia and China. Ukraine is simply the focal point, but this conflict is economic as well and is global. Maintaining dollar hegemony is key for the US. Establishing a new payment system independent of the dollar is the objective for Russia, China, and increasingly the rest of the world outside of primarily the US, Europe, Japan, and Australia.

It is clear Saudi Arabia is steadily moving away from the US. This implies the eventual end of the petro dollar which is a pillar of dollar strength. Once the Saudis, and other middle east oil countries begin accepting payment outside of the dollar, the currency will weaken. This is the REAL REASON the US is all in against Russia and all in as far as supporting Ukraine. It has absolutely zero to do with sovereignty, democracy, or any of the other BS coming from MSM and the Biden administration. Zero.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  13. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

• Hot Hot x 1
  14. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

I posted last spring that it appeared a Russia, China, Saudi, Iran coalition was forming, and India was a friendly to it

Appears to be growing, and stronger now. We have the wrong leadership in place. The world is somewhere between shaky, and outright dangerous.

The sanctions on Russia are a joke. No positive effect for us

• Like Like x 1
  15. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

BRICS nations led by Russia China have a reserve currency to replace the dollar with. It is backed by a basket of precious metals and uses Bitcoin for international settlements. It’s coming!

16. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

17. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Many of the Germans who lived in Eastern Europe and were expelled had also been there not only for their whole lives but for generations. I'm not defending wholesale expulsions. It obviously leads to a lot of unfairness and injustice against totally innocent people, but it's not new or unusual in the wake of a major war. People want the bad apples out and are in willing to screw over many good apples to do it.

18. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I get it, but don't gripe when the other side fights back. Force on force, fire with fire. The strongest side will win.

19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Speaking of the 'BRIC' economic grouping...

Brazil just elected a yahoo leftist who will likely be sympathetic to China and Russia.
    Brazilian voters (or at least the ones whose votes were counted/double-counted, etc.) sent Bolsinaro packing--he was sympathetic to us.

[​IMG]
    :arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up:
    That about summarizes Brazil, in one image...

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  20. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

And as for the "I" in the BRIC countries (India)...

- they really, really, really, really HATE China
    - they were historically sympathetic to (but not aligned with) Russia; the problem is that they're now stuck with a bunch of mediocre-or-worse Russian military equipment and they'd much rather have US military equipment. They have to walk the line until they phase out the Russian junk and transition to US military equipment.
    - They're already in an unofficial military alliance with Us, Japan, and Australia. (Quad)

[​IMG]

21. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

@Chop Thanks for the history lesson via photo. Could you keep it up?

• Funny Funny x 4
  22. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Ha!

Sure.

I’ve never seen a single picture that captures the essence of Brazil like that one. :beertoast:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They can fight back all they want. I'm sure some Germans resisted. They got shot.

24. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Wait until folks hear that Hunter Biden is on the payroll:

25. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

If you've never been to Brazil, I can tell you first hand they love to show off their backsides and I mean all the ladies. A large majority, at least on the beaches in Rio, have a rear double the size of the one in this pic in a thong, but not flabby. It's hard to explain. I've also never seen so many 60 year old dudes in speedo's playing beach volleyball.

• Funny Funny x 2
  26. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I heard that Russia withdrew from Kherson. Haven't heard why yet, but that could be a step towards peace. Also US officials are starting to advocate for Ukraine and Russia to start negotiating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Russia is retreating to where they have more local support.

28. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  29. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

What did Putin do because of Merkel's decisions? I don't get the connection.

30. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Foreign policy leverage