Unemployment 6.7

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by mojo17, Jan 10, 2014.

1. mojo17

mojo17 1,000+ Posts

Wow what great news at last this administrations policies are having a positive effect. Unemployment dropped to 6.7. A couple of negatives 1. Healthcare layoffs >10000 first healthcare layoffs in 10 years 2. 335000 people left the workforce. Lowest labor participation rate in 36 years. 74000 new jobs added in December how about that. We are on a fast track to zero unemployment as soon as everyone quits looking for work. Are these numbers good or bad I want to know who to blame Bush or Obama

2. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

3. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

The untold jobs story is that the federal government workforce has shrunk by over 110,000 employees since mid-2011. For the jobs number to get better while the federal government is reducing its workers, is a good sign. The number of people that have quit looking for work is troubling. I watched a news segment that said that there are enough unfilled jobs to cut unemployment down to an amount considered full employment. The catch is that these jobs are not located where the job seekers are. People are moving to where these jobs are located (see Texas) but it will take a while. Im guessing that unemployment benefits expiring will speed up that process. Another untold story is the housing rebound in hard hit areas. Currently, five of the top ten hottest housing markets are in California along with NYC, Boston, and Vegas.

4. Bevo Incognito

What's especially troubling is that so many companies are making so much money and yet NOT hiring. In the past, profits meant jobs. I'd hate to have been born any time after about 1995. Those kids are kind of screwed.

5. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

The cost of gas went down, the economy did better and unemployment went down.
    When the cost of gas increased over a dollar a gallon, the economy went down and unemployment went up.

Might have something to do with disposable income having an effect on the economy.

6. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

7. Bevo Incognito

8. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

9. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

Long term, I think we have one issue that will bring down our economy. National debt. Everything else such as employment, housing prices, stock market, etc., have a way of working themselves out. They always have. Too much debt will turn us into a banana republic.

10. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

11. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

12. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

13. MojoMan

MojoMan 1,000+ Posts

535,000 Americans left the workforce last month
    74,000 Americans got new jobs last month

The unemployment statistic that the government uses to summarize the labor picture showed massive improvement, falling from 7.0% to 6.7%.

And we can expect Obama and his team to come out soon if they haven't already to try and present the unemployment rate fall as a measure of what a great job he is doing.

You are being misled people. Open your eyes and think for yourselves.

14. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Mojo is right.

We are back to the Jimmy Carter days and it will only get worse unless we get another Ronald Reagan. "Government is not the solution, they are the problem."

15. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I'd like to understand how such a huge discrepancy happened between the ADP report and the fed report.
    ADP has typically overestimated but this? [​IMG]
    The Link
    The labor market ended 2013 on a roll, with businesses continuing a several-month streak of solid payroll gains by adding 238,000 jobs in December, payroll processor ADP said Wednesday.

Govt' announces 78k added?

There must be something missing here.

16. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

17. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!