Universal health care in Massachusetts

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Gone To Texas, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Gone To Texas

Gone To Texas 500+ Posts

I got a form in the mail from my health insurance company last week. It's basically a statement confirming that I have health coverage. I have to submit it with my state income taxes. If I don't, then...

2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

GTT
    wasn't it your lege that changed this? didn't romney want to allow each person to have a 10k HSA that was their personal form of insurance if someone choose not to buy ins?

3. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

What's that anacronym? Oh yeah, ROTFLMAO. For the one percent of Americans that are disciplined to use a HSA to the tune of 10 G's that plan will work. Forgive my cynical self, but people (a large percentage) expect to have their healthcare for free. I have insured and uninsured that won't pay a dime on their damn bill but the roll up in their new Chevy talking and texting on their RAZR on hold with DishNetwork getting the HD channels for their 42" plasma.

My point is that the average American won't save for retirement and sure doesn't want to pay or save for healthcare. Get real sick and the 10K ain't gonna cover much anyway.

Now, I run into many folks who scrimp and save for the doctor bill and meds but this is the exception not the norm. We are on the highway to lazy American, no personable responsibility state run healthcare.

4. afat

afat 250+ Posts

5. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

It's becoming clear that, in my lifetime, the government will administer my health care...

And that's a bad thing?

The VA is one of the better run health care systems, and it's run by the government.

Why the irrational fear against govt medicine? VA, Medicare, Medicaid.... It's not like it's not already here.

6. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

7. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

8. Wesser

Wesser 1,000+ Posts

9. kgp

kgp 1,000+ Posts

The VA is not even semi-decent. There are exceptions to every rule and good/bad counterexamples in every bad/good system, but the VA, when taken as a whole, sucks.

10. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

The VA is not even semi-decent. There are exceptions to every rule and good/bad counterexamples in every bad/good system, but the VA, when taken as a whole, sucks.

I disagree. When taken as a whole, the VA system does not suck.

There were articles relatively recently covering this topic.

Look, the VA has its problems. Because the White House and Congress won't give it the funding to honor past promises to veterans, it now has to limit new enrollments to vets who have service-related illness or who can meet a strict means test. It's also having trouble ramping up to meet the needs of the unexpectedly large number of young vets diagnosed with mental illness. But despite these challenges, the fact remains that the VA enjoys the highest rate of consumer satisfaction of any American health care system, public or private.

And outside experts agree that the VA deserves this high rating from its patients. A RAND Corporation study published in the The Annals of Internal Medicine concludes that the VA outperforms all other sectors of American health care in 294 measures of quality. In awarding the VA a top prize in 2006 for innovation in government, Harvard's John F. Kennedy School of Government gushed that "While the costs of healthcare continue to soar for most Americans, the VA is reducing costs, reducing errors, and becoming the model for what modern health care management and delivery should look like."

Above from : The Link