UNLV vs. Texas Game 3

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NBHorn7, Feb 21, 2016.

1. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

I sure hope we can officially say goodbye to low-scoring games

• Like Like x 1
  2. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Texas got off the a shaky start to the season. Some wildness and a lack of hitting kept UNLV in the game. Still it took a misplayed fly ball to tie the game and led to extra innings, which Texas lost after twelve.

Then Texas played the type of ball that makes games easy. They hit and the pitching was it's rock self, and the defense was good.

Cold bats in Kacy Clemens, Patrick Mathis, and today Travis Jones heat up and the offense puts runs on the board, even getting key hits, with two outs and runners in scoring position.

The starting pitching was good. Johnston had some control problems, but only gave up a run.

Culbreth had a quality start.

Mayes struggled some with command and mechanical problems. Not to go all inside baseball, but his front shoulder was flying open to quickly, he was releasing the baseball to soon. This leads to high and sometimes outside pitches. Still he didn't give up a run, this is kind of his MO anyway, get in trouble and then get out of it. He just bears down and clutches up, for the most part.

The freshman pitchers were outstanding. Skip doesn't rebuild his staff at Texas, he just reloads. No ace, no closer, no problem. I got plenty of arms to get the job done. He kind of knows what he is doing at his pitching coach job, I still hope he gets a promotion soon, but keeps control of the pitching. I have already stated why, he is the axle that has kept the wheels on this Texas baseball vehicle, for a number of years. He deserves it.

Now comes an upgrade in competition. The Stanford Cardinal comes to Austin for a four game series, starting Thursday night. They took 2 of 3 from Fullerton this weekend. They have struggled the last couple of seasons. Had a really bad season last year going 24-32 and 9-21 in PAC 12 play.

Like Texas, they always have quality pitchers, also like Texas they have struggled to score runs lately.

Hall of fame coach Mark Marquess will have them ready to play and it should be a close series, the team that can put something together offensively will win it, most likely.

So the first series of the season has been played and there was good and bad. Most of the good came in the last two games and the Horns should take some momentum into the Stanford series now.

Can't wait for it to begin. :hookem2::bevo:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  3. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

4. Joeyballgame

Joeyballgame < 25 Posts

I was impressed with the way the Longhorn baseball team responded both Saturday and Sunday to come away with victories after a disappointing opening season loss to UNLV on Friday. Walked too many batters and didn't get enough hits with runners in scoring position allowing the Rebels to comeback and win on Friday. 'Horns need to continue the way they played Saturday and Sunday against Stanford, beginning Thursday.

5. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

nice job on the game report/updates as always. we are spoiled.

:hookem:

6. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

7. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

It's baseball.....75% will be rather low-scoring.

8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Saturday's run production was assisted by some sloppy play by UNLV. Sunday's production was more solid.

• Like Like x 1