UPDATE: I'm 36 and I just found out who my dad is

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by ctrl+alt+del, Dec 28, 2006.

1. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

Certified was the the only way to go. USPS were the only ones who could restrict delivery to him only. UPS and FedEx could only restrict it to the residence. I could not risk one of his family members opening it. I still haven't heard back, by the way.

2. mojo mofo

mojo mofo 25+ Posts

The suspense is killing me.

3. bevorules

bevorules 100+ Posts

CAD,
    Go to the USPS website and use the green card tracking number to find out exactly where the envelope is. Then you'll know if he has signed for it yet.......

4. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

It's amazing when life is more dramatic than the best TV show. I'm also dying to know what's happening.

5. Damnit, I checked in to see if anything went down. You got a receipt of confirmation yet?

6. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

7. GatorHorn

GatorHorn 250+ Posts

Well, now I'm hooked, too. Here's hoping things go at least as well as you expect.

8. El Cid Vicious

El Cid Vicious 100+ Posts

I'll take a turn bumping this one to the top.

9. GHOST HORN

GHOST HORN 100+ Posts

what did the letter say?

you should have included the movie antwone fisher.

did you use some humor? like asking, "did you ever have a good idea for a movie script? here is one...."

10. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

I went online yesterday morning and found that the letter was delivered. I was at HEB yesterday afternoon and my cell phone rang. The Caller ID was a number from area code 419, which is Northwest Ohio. Even though it was in the middle HEB, I took a deep breath and answered the phone. It was my Aunt telling me they're in L.A. and will be coming through Houston on their way home to visit next weekend. That was so strange because I talk to her maybe once every 2 years and I can't remember her ever calling me. Strange timing on that. So, no word yet from my letter. It will be interesting to see the signature on the receipt.

11. BrûléeOrange

BrûléeOrange 500+ Posts

Well I was holding my breath when I saw you made a post, so I cannot imagine what you must be going through and how you must feel right now.

Sending positive thoughts your way.

12. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

So, I guess this means you get a 2nd chance to crap your pants in the near future...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. DCLonghorn8

DCLonghorn8 250+ Posts

Boot2X:

I am really late coming to this thread, but I wish you the best of luck. This is some seriously heady mind-bend stuff.

For what it’s worth, as I read down the thread but before I saw your action plan, my two cyber-cents would have been to write a letter.

It gives him some time to churn on the reality like your Mom gave you. Now he won’t be completely shocked if you ever call him or show up on his porch.

I am guessing the hardest part now will be if he does nothing.

Seriously, best of luck and I hope this is a blessing for you and yours.

14. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

15. I admit I did the same thing as others here. I saw your post and got focused on your post. I paused when you picked up the phone from the area code, here it is. Nope.

You are so very much not alone in this. You know this, right?

16. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

Well, last night, Mrs. Reboot and I are on the couch getting comfortable to watch our Monday television programming and the phone rings. I get up kinda pissed because we had just gotten comfy. I go to the kitchen and it's his name on the Caller ID. I said "Oh Damn, it's HIM!" So she's staring at me as I take a deep breath and answer the phone.

THE DUDE FREAKIN' ROCKS!!! He was nervous as hell and broke down immediately when he started talking to me. I kept telling him it was okay and that I understand what a shock this must be, etc, etc. Apparently my picture fell out immediately and he knew right away to have a seat before reading the letter. He said, "You sure know how to put a letter together, that's for sure. After reading it and looking at the pictures, even if I knew you weren't mine I'd still claim you." That has to be the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. He told me I also have a 17 year-old half-sister. Apparently, he sat his entire family down and told them all about it and they are completely supportive and excited to meet me, my wife, and our little boy. He cannot believe that he is a grandfather. I spoke to his wife for a half hour and she is very sweet. I spoke to my brother and sister for about a half hour and they are both really sharp, smart kids. He's in college and she plans to go to tOSU after high school. And yes, they are all huge Buckeye fans, but that was never going to be some huge epiphany. They all want to meet us as soon as possible and we are arranging a time to fly up there within the next 2 months to spend some time.

I couldn't have asked for a better outcome. I spoke to my mom later and she is incredibly relieved. Her worst fear was that he would want nothing to do with me. I have to now have a man-to-man talk with my step dad who just found out about this as well and he is EXTREMELY attached to me and my son, whose middle name is my step dad's. I just need to reassure him that he is in no way being replaced, but we're simply adding to our family. Man, this is simply great. I really do feel terrible for my step dad because he didn't ask for any of this, but, it is what it is and I am elated. The last thing my father said to me when I got off the phone with him was, "All I know is that next Christmas is going to be one God-damned good time."

So there you go - A happy ending to a sad story. I want to thank everyone on here for showing their support of me through this. I sincerely appreciate your kind words and thoughts.

17. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

Awesome.

18. Mrs.Macanudo

Mrs.Macanudo 25+ Posts

YES! Excellent! I can't wait to call Mac....we have been following this closely.

I am so happy for you. What a great guy! It is obvious you love and admire your step dad, I'm sure he'll be happy for you and everyone will adjust.

What a great start to my week (and I'm sure yours, too [​IMG] )

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

******* awesome

good for you man

20. DigglerontheHoof

DigglerontheHoof 1,000+ Posts

Great story...I'm glad it all worked out for you.
    [​IMG]

21. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

Yeah, my wife just called me about this. Outstanding news. I'm glad this seems to have worked out well.

Send him some real BBQ now. [​IMG]

22. iplaydrums

iplaydrums 100+ Posts

That is awesome, glad to hear the outcome!

[​IMG]

23. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

bring him down to a tailgate!

24. TJHorn92

TJHorn92 < 25 Posts

WOW. I don't know you but I have tears in my eyes and am very excited. What a great, great outcome. I hope you keep us informed.

[​IMG]

25. wolfman

wolfman 1,000+ Posts

WOW!! That is great news. Im glad that everything worked out OK for you.

26. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Can you tell that we're happy for you?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

27. 1990txgirl

1990txgirl 250+ Posts

Wow c+a+d, I'm also tearing up with joy for you. This is wonderful news!!! Thanks for sharing this incredibly private matter with us. [​IMG]

28. LadyHornAustin

LadyHornAustin 100+ Posts

I'm grinning from ear to ear [​IMG]

29. The Dog

The Dog 250+ Posts

30. #3Rules

#3Rules 250+ Posts