Urban Meyer put on paid leave

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Joe Fan, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

******* moron is doing nothing more than naked virtue signaling.

• Like Like x 2
  2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Surprisingly not. Looked like sorority girls. That was part of made it even more surreal.

3. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Helping a friend is good. Who on earth would think that’s problem? Getting lawyers to help for book deals regarding unproven spousal abuse, that’s another story.

4. LonghornMD

LonghornMD 100+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  5. LonghornCatholic

Don’t they have to fire Durkin if they accept responsibility?

6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

NO! Will they?YES!

I am not a Durkin apologist. No on has reported what Durkin was doing during this. Go to a Texas practice and watch Herman. Go to a Westlake practice and watch Todd. There will be 125-150 players and 15-20 coaches scattered around the field. Did Durkin know the kid was in trouble? No one has said. Durkin may have been 75 yards away with 30-40 players around him. It is the sports medicine and S&C staff's responsibility. It is clearly they that dropped the ball unless someone comes forward and says they were told to do nothing.

Realistically, Durkin's coaching days are over because this has already ruined him. Recruits are backing out. Who would take the job? Todd Graham, Bo Pelini, Dennis Erickson? It will take the Terps 10-15 years to recover if they ever do.

UMd's biggest problem is where does Kevin Plank stand.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Yea, this is a real shame for the kids there now. I follow MD football somewhat closely.....my college son is a good friend of and former fellow HS OL with Brendan Moore, MD starting C. He is supposed to be an NFL prospect & is a great kid. Sad for him to finish his career in that environment.

8. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Exactly. What is amazing is that Ms. Meyer clearly knew and apparently may claim she didn't even tell her husband! WOW! way to help a friend...

9. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

The best action when dealing with a person with a screw loose is to cut off contact.

In this day and age, when this woman is considered untruthful by her own mother and the local police give no credence to her multiple complaints, cut off contact. She is the problem.

I opine that I am not the only person on this board that is disappointed the Herman’s got involved with this nut case and thereby involved the University of Texas.

• Like Like x 2
  10. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

have you never been friends with a married couple, both of whom have issues and a piece of the guilt, AND have children to think about? You think the mother was reaching out to the Smiths' friends three years ago and telling them not to believe her daughter? Of course, we can revise history years later. In the moment, you help a friend in crisis. You figure out who was accurate about the story later.

having been a friend through a few of these, "cut off contact" is not what i'd recommend until they get can to the other side of the crisis.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

12. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

13. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

• Like Like x 1
  14. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Zach Smith Ordered Sex Toys to Ohio State Offices, Had Sex With Staffer, Took Nude Photos at White House

This is all sick. It was one thing to report on possible abuse. It is another thing to get into and spread every bad thing a divorced couple has on one another to the world.

I know the Ohio State media that spread the “Herman started this over a recruit” thing was biased baloney. Brett McMurphy getting photos of Zach Smith’s penis from his ex-wife and sending them out to people shows a deranged bias. It has gone from yellow journalism from all sides to sickness.

15. LonghornCatholic

Was that wrong?

• Like Like x 5
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

17. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

More hail Marys for you, sir.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I cannot even focus on the article because what reporter would respond to “let me tell you about the sex toys my ex husband ordered and sexting my ex husband did with me” with “awesome! Let me see! Im going to publish this!”

It just seems like this whole thing is an ex wife, ex husband and other family members slinging their personal poop at one another like monkeys, and Brett McMurphy and that Ohio State reporter are gleefully taking part in the poop slinging.

I cannot say I have respect for any party in this whole affair. I find the herman attacks and mcmurphy stooping this low to be deranged.

19. LonghornCatholic

Sorry. I'm on it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. LonghornCatholic

Either she has no soul, or he beat the hell out of her and its payback time.

Or all of the above.

• Like Like x 3
  21. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I thought the first rule of FreakShow was that you don't get your freak on at the workplace...seems that Zach may have violated that one.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

At some point you have to have some journalistic integrity to not report... well I guess the American media did away with journalist integrity a long time ago.

• Like Like x 2
  23. LonghornCatholic

24. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

It is possible she sent this to tOSU this summer, that’s the real reason Zach Smith was fired (see @LonghornCatholic’s “was that wrong?”) and Urban Meyer did not want to talk about it.

25. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Zach needs to just go away quietly ... you lost this one dude

26. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

Even if Courtney Smith is the most conniving ex in the history of the world, one has to be dilusionally optimistic to believe that Urban Meyer was not big-time derelict in his duties in this case. A decision to retain him will only be driven by a desire to win at all cost, with nothing else mattering.

27. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

correct

28. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

looks like swims like smells like tastes like prove it if you can't prove it you have to assume Urban's innocent move on. I'll wager that every national championship team has some kind of skeleton in its closet. Some here may have some experience in the battered woman's syndrome aspect but generally speaking it's a crappy marriage for your receiver's coach. When he's at work he coaches receivers. When he's elsewhere he's catting around on the mrs and perhaps getting into physical disagreements. When the cops are called he's arrested she presses charges you find out he's been arrested and charges are pending you suspend him without pay until resolved and then act according to what the criminal justice system has decided. He said/she said and she won't press charges and tells all the wives but not the police then it's weak bs and you keep your coach and keep winning. This social media justice bs (and I know it works for both sides) is just that, bs. I think of OJ, he got acquitted in court but not on the streets and in the papers. Bad example but we're supposed to trust the system and abide by the decisions rendered. We don't want to know what happened behind closed doors while Mack was reeling off 10 plus wins a year for a decade. I yearn for the days when, an allegation is made, the process is gone through, the truth as best as can be told comes out, it's made public, AND THEN, when all is out there and the judicial process has been gone through, everyone can throw in.....but it blows my mind that someone can still be fired for something that didn't result in anyone being arrested staying arrested going to jail for months for assault and battery.

29. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Remember that the standard here is not a court of law although I get that some think it should be. There will be no trial. That is, unless UM is released, doesn’t like the deal he gets, and sues.

The standard here is Title IV, the image of the university, the behavior of its most prominent representative, and an obligation to defend against behavior that is not acceptable in our culture today. As I have opined previously, I have a hard time imagining that Meyer will survive. Not saying that he won’t. Just saying that he shouldn’t.

30. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I can't get away from the 2009 incident.
    Zach was arrested and charged with felony assault.
    This tells me that officers on the scene saw/found enough evidence to arrest and charge him of assaulting his pregnant wife, regardless of what said wife had to say.
    Now, Courtney, as many battered women do, refuses to follow through and press charges.
    So charges are dropped.
    Meyer should have dumped him then and certainly should not have taken the risk of hiring him again.

• Like Like x 7