Urban Meyer put on paid leave

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Joe Fan, Aug 1, 2018.

1. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Maybe nothing.
    But Meyers has covered his *** and fulfilled contractual requirements.
    Maybe during an interview with admins he admits to the abuse and they let him go before all this firestorm.

2. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Meyers said he knew nothing of the incident before the texts were made available.
    You really think his wife said nothing to him?

3. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

True. My problem with the current reporting requirments is if we start making records of all rumors/gossip about all people, that’s not a path I am interested in taking. I like the @Phil Elliott caveat that needs to be added to title ix at least. If something off campus, unrelated to team/work activities involving adults has already been reported to the police, there should be no duty to investigate/report rumors until actual charges are filed or at least a police investigation is underway.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

That is not a coverup. This stuff had been reported to the police by the victim. All Meyer had was a denial and something his wife told him that the alleged victim said and he had no way of knowing if it was true. He probably went too far at the press conference, but spreading second hand gossip to the media was not the right move either. The better answer would have been “I do not know whether or not there was abuse. This is currently being investigated by authorities.” However, saying “my wife told me that she said” to the media after the person denied it really would not be the right thing to do... especially given that this woman had refused to press charges in the past.

No, despite what our current media thinks, spreading allegations you cannot confirm the truth of, especially second hand, to the public is not proper.... and more especially given there is an actual police investigation looking into to determine if this is a sham or if this Zach Smith is a sorry SOB deserving of jail time.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  5. beer_dog

beer_dog 100+ Posts

If Meyers is fired with cause he gets zero dollars. If Ohio State wants to part ways with Meyer just to please the media and fans he get $38 million. The math is easy on this one.

6. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I will say this; I'm very impressed that Hornfans.com is acting so rational and considered towards Meyer given his pixie dust comment and general irritating or worse presence on the Texas recruiting trail!

• Like Like x 5
  7. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Is reporting what you know in a private conversation to the proper administrator (the AD or probably somebody he knows well on a professional basis) behind closed doors spreading rumors or just a private conversation such as, "Hey, I know I have that thing in my contract; does this rise to that level?

• Like Like x 1
  8. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I think as a general statement, this is too broad. Lots of things that are not “crimes” could be reportable, and lots of things that are crimes but that the police/prosecutors don’t have a good enough evidentiary basis to prove beyond a reasonable doubt could be reportable.

9. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

10. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

^ that is the article I quote from.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

It’s pretty scathing for tOSU and for Meyer. It will be interesting to see how they try to downplay this.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

As someone mentioned earlier I have a feeling Meyer's big contract will be a big pill to swallow for somebody.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yep! He got a 5 year deal in April worth $42.45mil. It’s in the neighborhood of $38+ million right now IIRC.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Maybe he can get a HC gig in Italy and compete against Briles.

• Like Like x 2
  15. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

Abuse is terrible and no man should ever hit a woman no matter the circumstance. With that being said. I am sad that I did not bet the under for the tOSU season now. Also this could not happen to a bigger piece of sh**t school. Their fans are even worse than blow/u fans. May their 2018 season RIP:hookem:

• Like Like x 4
  16. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  17. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

It's the lying after the fact that gets guys like this. If he would have said he knew and it was his understanding the police were handling it, he would have looked mercenary but OK.

18. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Let's be clear. He lied to a bunch of ******* reporters, not to the cops, or to his bosses, or to anybody who matters.

• Like Like x 1
  19. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

******* reporters?
    You know them personally?
    Just men and women waking up and doing their job same as the rest of us.
    And a lie is a lie.
    Regardless of who you tell it to.
    Especially in a public forum.

And if he knew and didn't report it as his contract requires, then he lied to his bosses by ommission.

• Like Like x 4
  20. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

I am certain people have been fired for much less. Lying to the public in a public forum is nothing that the administration can justify much less defend. "tOSU doesn't care if our couch is a proven liar". Probably helps with recruiting though.

21. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I think the police are irrelevant in this issue. Duty to report is Coach reporting to his AD and Title IX contact at the school.

It's not complicated.

Not being convicted doesn't mean there shouldn't be a process at the school related to Title IX activities.

In addition, you have people associated with the athletic program that pressured her not to press charges on multiple occasions. The school is involved, but the coaches didn't report to appropriate leadership.

22. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Did anyone hear Coach Herman's presser yesterday? They asked him about it. One of the things he said was that Texas does a great job of training their coaching staff on Title IX processes and they all know what to do. He wouldn't comment on the tosu situation, but seemed to imply that his staff knows the requirements well and works comply with the procedures. That's all that needs to happen.

23. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

24. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

I beg to differ. The circumstances of the lie and the consequences of the lie, and whether or not the liar is aware of circumstance and consequence are important considerations.

As far as lying in a public forum, I think you must realize that public forums are full of lies. Maybe I'm missing your sarcasm.

• Like Like x 2
  25. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

A lying couch? I lie on my couch on Saturday afternoons in the summer. What's the problem?
    But seriously, lying to the public is an American tradition. It's not a crime. Ask tricky Dick.

26. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Speaking of couches, none are safe in Columbus right now.

11657346-burn12.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  27. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

After all, every year, we elect local, state and national politicians from both parties that lie to us.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

I'm still waiting on the full facts to come out before judgment on this drama, but not sure if the Jim Tressel matter has been discussed here....if so, I apologize. To wit....

Tressel was fired for covering up free tattoo's for his players (and maybe other benefits). And OSU had to vacate all wins in 2010. Now, I don't know the whole Tressel story, but if this Meyer story is true, I just can't see how he stays.

29. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

So long as they tell us lies we like, we let it slide.

Except Tressel completed and signed an NCAA form where he stated he had no knowledge of any violations or possible violations within the program, which he did. So he put it in writing which is a no-no.

It's gonna be a bit harder to prove that UM lied. Every account I have seen of the events is totally reliant on 2nd and 3rd hand information.

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It is a little bit interesting that this is the guy who broke this story
    ESPN did not touch it until they had no choice
    By coincidence, ESPN does have a big contract with that conference