US and Russia moral equivalency

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by djimaplon, Feb 8, 2017.

1. djimaplon

djimaplon 250+ Posts

In light of our President's statement with regards to Putin in his interview with Bill O'Reilly, do you agree with the assertion of US moral equivalency with Russia or am i just misunderstanding / misinterpreting.

2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I think there is some confusion regarding the context. For example, treatment of press and political enemies vs. treatment of foreign countries such as Libya, Syria, Yemen, etc. Trump's point is on weaker ground domestically and stronger ground re foreign policy.

3. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

To be honest, long before Trump I've been saying the same thing about our country.

If the general public only knew the atrocities and blatant innocent casualties our leaders approved knowing the result beforehand...the PC, 'all life is precious' crowd would've peed their panties on the way the to the typewriter or keyboard. Oh wait, I mean they would've since 1980, except when Bill or Barrack were in office.

These mass slayings of innocent people include likely every prez from inception, and not yet DT because his time in office is so limited. Way it goes, and some are nastier than others. But DT was dead right when he said, "you think America is so innocent"?

4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Indian genocide. And yes, ordered by or condoned by the POTUS. Sorry, I know a long time ago but something that still gets in my craw.

5. djimaplon

djimaplon 250+ Posts

How do we reconcile our moral equivalency with these bad actors with American exceptionalism?

6. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Wow dj, isn't that the ultimate question in this discussion moral turpitude, vs exceptionalism?
    I think we live in the best country ever founded....but I do not ignore the turpitude in our history. Guess it is all about glorious intentions vs inglorious man's actions.

7. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

Depending on how big a window you use as your time frame, and how much your perception of both Russia and the US is biased, the answers can be all over the map.

It's interesting that O'Reilley accused Putin of being a killer on nothing more than circumstantial evidence and hyped up media coverage. I wish Trump had turned the table by calling O'Reiiley a womanizer who answers the door in his underwear and harasses co-workers with unwelcome sexual advances. Didn't he settle out of court in order to get off the hook? What a sleaze.

But back to the original question. If you compare Russia and the US since 2001, it is the US that has invaded countries, overthrown governments, created a mass refugee problem, supported coups, attempted to deny self-determination (Crimea), and used the media as a mouthpiece to shape public opinion by disseminating lies and half truths.

8. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Anyone with a concept of empathy can fully understand there are a large number of people in countries we've been bombing the last many years that would like nothing more than to kill Americans.

However none of this truth is limited to Americans, it's applies to most of the ruling powers in the world and beyond.

The only difference is the West foolishly values the political optics of compassion over common sense border rejections against groups with small but legitimate threats who intend to do them harm after arrival.

9. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG]

Democide: The murder of any person or people by a government, including genocide, politicide, and mass murder.

61,911,000 Murdered: The Soviet Gulag State
    35,236,000 Murdered: The Communist Chinese Ant Hill
    20,946,000 Murdered: The Nazi Genocide State
    10,214,000 Murdered: The Depraved Nationalist Regime
    5,964,000 Murdered: Japan's Savage Military
    2,035,000 Murdered: The Khmer Rouge Hell State
    1,883,000 Murdered: Turkey's Genocidal Purges
    1,670,000 Murdered: The Vietnamese War State
    1,585,000 Murdered: Poland's Ethnic Cleansing
    1,503,000 Murdered: The Pakistani Cutthroat State
    1,072,000 Murdered: Tito's Slaughterhouse