USA Basketball

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by LutherIsMyDog, Jun 13, 2018.

1. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

For those who haven't checked out the UConn board, Sedona seemed to get the best reviews of anyone from those who watched Game 1.

• Like Like x 3
  2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

35-17 USA after one but still the feeling that USA is just stuttering on offense. Chile is keeping it close by being able to get inside for layups as well as hitting some 3s. Not enough but USA should be up by more than doubling up Chile.

Sedona missed three short jumpers before hitting two putbacks on offensive rebounds.

3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Outstanding D in the second quarter, holding Chile to just four points while scoring 31. USA up at the half 66-21.

Sedona only played just under 8 minutes, totaled 6 pts on 3-7 shooting and had 7 rebs to lead the team. Leading scorer was Blackwell with 13 pts.

Starting five was Sedona, Peoples, Brown, Howard and Smith. They only played less than two minutes before the USA HC put in what seems to be his fav five: Joens, Williams, Nelson-Ododa, Blackwell and Hillmon-Baker.

The offense still seems a bit too much one on one but can't argue with the results: 66 pts on 52% from the field and 79% from the FT line. The 3pt shooting leaves a lot to be desired, only connecting on 1-6 (17%). Dominating on the boards 43-20 but not as much as I would have thought considering the height and athleticism advantages the USA has over Chile. USA has certainly improved their ballhandling with only seven TOs in the half.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

91-34 USA at the end of three.
    And USA wins 115-39.
    Oddly leaves me wondering just how good this team could be if they played less one on one. They are getting there, though. Better ball movement in this game. 21 assists on 45 made baskets, not too bad at all.

Sedona ended up with a pretty good line: 10 pts on 5-9 shooting, a team leading 11 rebs, one assist and one block in 18 minutes. Williams was the leading scorer with 19 pts and the second leading rebounder with 10 rebs, many courtesy of her Courtney Paris impersonation on the offensive boards. :smile1:

USA dropped drastically in FT shooting % in the second half to end up at 64%.

• Like Like x 2
  5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Do you legit speak Spanish? If so, what have the announcers been saying about Sedona? The camera is on her a lot and I pick up her name quite a bit.

I’ve been impressed by 2019 post Maori Davenport - I think she has outperformed Nelson-Ododa and NaLyssa Smith.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Conversational Spanish, well enough to gather medical data, personal history, work history/description as part of my job before I retired. I don't consider myself fluent but I get most of what they say.

They have been impressed with her height and how difficult that has made it for opponents to keep her from rebounding over them and with how she is able to block shots.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  8. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I think this is the link for tomorrow's 6:30 PM game vs Puerto Rico.

• Like Like x 2
  9. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Argentina took Puerto Rico down 79-60.

Puerto Rico has #6, Alisha Cotto (6-2) and #9, Gabriela Santana (6-3) but neither plays more than ten mpg. Neither has had a big impact in rebounding or scoring. Leading rebounders are #3 Nairimar Vargas, a 6-0 SF at 10.0 rpg and #22 Eva Sanchez, a 6-0 PF at 8.5 rpg. Leading scorers are #14 Julianna Rosario, a 5-8 SF averaging 13.5 ppg and #5 Nadechka Reyes, a 5-5 PG at 11.0 ppg.

USA should not have any problems with Puerto Rico. I would expect to see a bit more of Cotto and Santana simply to try to get some size on the court for Puerto Rico. I wouldn't be surprised to see another game like the one against Chile. Puerto Rico has not shot a lot of 3s in their first two game. Have to wonder if that will change against the USA and their bevy of tall interior defenders.

10. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Babhorn, just curious, I can't remember what Courtney Paris' rebounding was like that Williams was doing? Williams was high point, but I notice she shot more way more than anybody else also. Not to be negative on her, because she is a very good player.

I never heard of Maori Davenport, but she had a very nice stat line.

I couldn't be happier with Sedona. A 6'7" player with her skills. We are lucky.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I was talking about her offensive rebounding. Paris made an art of rebounding her own missed layups, sometimes several times before making the putback. That's what Williams was doing in the game vs Chile.

Williams ended up with seven offensive rebounds, almost all off her own misses. On one play, she ended up with three offensive boards after missing a layup.

• Like Like x 2
  12. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

AKA, for some of us older fans, the “Moses Malone”.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

14. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Almost game time! :usa::hookem2::hookem3:
    Go, USA, Go Sedona!

Sedona is one ppg from averaging a double double. She is currently at 10 rpg and 9.0 ppg. :hookem2:

15. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

poor start for the USA as PR sank a three and a two to go up 8-2 with 7:46 to go in the first. USA coming back, though.

16. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

PR still up 12-11 after a fast break layup.

17. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

33-18 at the end of the first, USA. But the USA didn't start to dominate until there were about 4 minutes left in the quarter. Certainly going to be a teaching minute for the USA coaches.

18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Evidently this did not intimidate PR much but I’m impressed. Back to back dunks?

• Like Like x 3
  19. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

50-33 USA at the half. On track to hit their average of 100 pts a game. But, they are letting PR get a lot of shots off. PR seems just more intense and focused. USA has taken 41 shots to PR's 28. They are not outrebounding PR by much, 32-23. It should be quite a bit more given the USA's height and quickness advantage.

USA should win this game but PR is impressing with their grit.
    Really surprised to not have seen Williams on the court. Wonder if she is ill or hurt. Guess we will find out if she plays in the second half. Sedona was only in for about two and a half minutes, although she did start the game.

Smith is having a field day, 7-9 from the field for 16 pts, mostly close in shots. Howard with nine pts and Brown with 7 pts lead the USA in scoring. Rebounding is spread out with Blackwell and Caldwell on top with four rebs each.

Five players have at least one trey for PR. This from a team that didn't take this many threes in a game coming into this one.

• Like Like x 1
  20. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Damn, looks like Sedona suffered a serious knee injury. Her right knee buckled inwards when she landed after blocking a shot.
    Hope it's not as serious as it looks. She was taken off the court on a stretcher.

21. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

UConn board saying that Sedona broke her left leg below the knee.
    Don't know what is going on but it was bad.

22. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

OMG! Nooooooooo!

23. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Hoping for the best.

24. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

USA won 103-59 but suffered an injury to Sedona. With Williams out of this game due to either illness or injury, they played the second half with only ten players.

• Like Like x 1
  25. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Welp. It will be interesting to see if Coach Aston and other coaches will continue to let their players play in these kind of events in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  26. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Stuff happens. You play the game and, at times, you get hurt. If a player has any inclination to play in the Olympics, they play in these games. If you are afraid of getting hurt, why play?

Listening and watching the replay, the announcers mention that they were informed that it was a fracture. The replay sure looks like it happened to her lower right leg, above the ankle.

• Like Like x 2
  27. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

A fracture is better than an ACL/MCL tear. Recovery is faster.

@BabHorn was it a non-contact injury?

• Like Like x 1
  28. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I got home late and watching the replay of the game. Occurred at the 1 hour, 28 minutes mark.

• Like Like x 1
  29. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

There might have been some contact between the legs but it looked more like she landed wrong, might have come down on the opponent's foot.

Frustrating that there is no news about the injury. Wonder who will responsible for releasing info? Probably will have to wait to see if Sedona and her parents release any info.

• Like Like x 2
  30. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

Well hell! Sorry to hear about Sedona’s injury. Here’s to healing quickly and moving forward. HookEm

• Like Like x 4