USC = best team in the country

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by UTFanFromAZ, Jan 2, 2008.

1. UTFanFromAZ

UTFanFromAZ 250+ Posts

They are healthy and playing the best football and have more weapons then anybody. Not saying they are deserving to play in the title game (lost to Stanford..really??) but they are peaking right now and could beat anyone in the nation...

I knew they were going to beat The Fighting Zookers, but that was absolute clinic by USC tonight.

2. austintex

austintex 500+ Posts

You might be right. Of course, even in a four (or six) team playoff, they'd be on the outside looking in.

3. guy noir

guy noir 100+ Posts

Blah, blah. More Carroll and his university of spoiled chidren, and, of course, that idiot musberger and herbstreit. They have a short memory from Rose Bowl 2006, when we heard much the same.

4. Mageeman

Mageeman 100+ Posts

The best teams don't lose at home to a 41 point underdog. They don't deserve ****.

5. UTFanFromAZ

UTFanFromAZ 250+ Posts

I also totally forgot they have been to six STRAIGHT BCS games....absolutely insane. USC is fun to watch (except when they play Texas then they can go f**k themselves lol) when they are healthy...so many weapons

6. brandons87

brandons87 250+ Posts

Their defense is the best in the nation, but their offense is still mediocre.

John David Booty is a very mediocre QB. He's a huge stepdown from the USC QBs from the last 6 years.

Furthermore, their WRs are very average, they drop a ton of balls.

Could they beat anybody else? Sure. But LSU could also beat them. There is no clearcut "best" team this year.

BTW, its awfully convenient that USC, LSU, and Miami get to play home games for all their conference-affiliated BCS bowls. Texas should lobby the Cotton to get added to the BCS with a Big 12 tie-in so they can have their own home game for the BCS bowl too.

7. UTFanFromAZ

UTFanFromAZ 250+ Posts

I love all this hatred for USC...it makes me smile

8. Mr. Orange

Mr. Orange 100+ Posts

If I was a Georgia fan ( or an OU fan for that matter if they beat WVU) I could make the same argument. Crazy year that makes it nearly impossible to select two teams to play in a championship based on rankings/records.

9. Mageeman

Mageeman 100+ Posts

It's not hate, what they've done is impressive, but they beat an overrated opponent and a team that in all honestly shouldn't have been in the BCS. If they had beat UGA, you'd have a good case, but not over the Illini.

USC is a good team and has done outstanding things, but they have also benefited from not having a CCG, same thing for OSU. OSU is in the championship game for the 3rd time in six years whereas USC has only been there twice. The team that played today is a ton different than any USC game I saw this year. It was a bowl game and they were motivated, but it doesn't mean they deserve any title.

10. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

Of course they have been to 6 straight BCS games....they are the only decent program in their conference. Who else is going to go?

11. FirstTimeLurker

FirstTimeLurker 100+ Posts

Texas and OU are the only teams outside of the SEC which have a consistent intra conference threat to deny each other a BCS. SEC has LSU, Auburn, Flroida and now GA (with an outside shot of Tenn) to stop each other from going to the mountaintop.

This makes USC an easy ticket to the BCS.

How many do they return?

Who are their stars? # 4, # 7. I wish these teams would put names on the jerseys.

12. MNLonghorn10

MNLonghorn10 < 25 Posts

Joe Mcknight is # 4, Frosh RB

Vidal Hazelton is #7 Soph WR (from NY)

Yes. theyre studs.

13. gobears92

gobears92 Guest

they didnt get it done when they needed to...

14. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

What's with all the stars?

15. HornzUp

HornzUp < 25 Posts

they did play Illinois which really only played great in spurts throughout the season. Watching them play USC was pretty pathetic. They just appeared slow and lethargic the whole game.

16. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

I'm not Illinois fan nor USC hater, but Illinois was putting themselves back in the game in the third quarter but couldn't hold on to the ball. Turnovers stopped the Illini offense more than USC in that quarter.

USC looks very good but I see no reason to believe they are much better than OU, LSU or a few other good teams. My two cents.

17. FirstTimeLurker

FirstTimeLurker 100+ Posts

big 10 teams routinely lose big vs. pac 10 teams in the Rose.

18. Horns83

Horns83 500+ Posts

A little OT here, but I think you could almost as easily make the argument that Georgia is the best team in the country at the moment. They dropped two games early in the year (similar to USC). However, they were pretty damn impressive the second have of the season: kicking Florida's ***, kicking Auburn's ***, solidly beating Kentucky, and laying an absolute beatdown on Hawaii tonight. They return almost everyone next year. That is a team that could be a serious threat to win the whole thing in '08.

19. Brubricker

Brubricker 250+ Posts

USC vs. UGA would've been the best bowl game imaginable this year.

20. HornsInTheHouse

HornsInTheHouse 500+ Posts

USC had the Illinois run game snuffed out for all but one play, and they did pile up 633 yards of offense beyond the turnovers their D forced. I would have loved to see a USC - UGA game! [​IMG]

21. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

22. BigOHorn

BigOHorn 100+ Posts

Get real....USC is a very good team but they get set up by the Pac10 and the Rose bowl most years to become the darling of the west.. I think LSU is better OU is better GA is better and possibly OSU is better but it pains me to say it

23. Eastwood22

Eastwood22 250+ Posts

So that just leaves the final question... Who would win in a straight matchup: USC or a Chicago Bears team comprised completely of Mike Ditka's

24. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

This is just a season that begs for a playoff. In our MNC year, there were clearly 2 deserving teams and the BCS CG set up perfectly. This year, not at all. In my mind, no 2 loss team is deserving to be there. You can excuse one hiccup but not two. UCS lost to Stanford at freaking home! LSU lost to Arkansas at home! Neither of them is deserving in my mind. Stick all the major conference champions in a playoff with a couple at large teams and let's go. A real playoff would be great this year. What we have really sucks. Illinois simply did not belong in the BCS. Ditto Hawaii.

25. Mikeinthebox

Mikeinthebox 100+ Posts

26. mihm_rules_mom

mihm_rules_mom 25+ Posts

SC vs UGA would have been a great matchup. I heard on the radio this morning that the Rose Bowl could have had Georgia, but because they want their PAC-10 Big 10 matchup, they went with Illinois. What a mistake!

27. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

In an eight team tourney, so much could happen. USC could beat Georgia, LSU, tOSU, Mizzou, Kansas, Hawaii...but could lose to them as well. Of course, we'll never know.

28. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

I think this edition of the Trojans could have beaten the Achaeans, with or without the horse.

29. Mikeinthebox

Mikeinthebox 100+ Posts

30. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts