USC bumps Texas from second place...

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by wewokahorn, Feb 3, 2010.

1. wewokahorn

wewokahorn 250+ Posts

per Rivals. Seems like Seantrel Henderson commited this afternoon, giving USC five 5-star players. I doubt if they're finished yet.

2. longtex

longtex Guest

How many ***** does it take to overcome the Kiffin Syndrome?
    "With the droolfest known as national signing day upon us, Lane Kiffin established himself as this year's recruiting MVP -- Most Valuable Pimp.
    "

3. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

Kiffin just seems dirty. Perfect fit for USC I guess.

4. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

5. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

/ / / /
    | | | |
    that's the correct answer!!

6. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Shark has to be smarting over this. I was sure Henderson was going to be a Buckeye.

7. Dr_Bob_Rio

Dr_Bob_Rio 250+ Posts

Fine, I'll still take our class......to a championship! [​IMG]

8. tamster

tamster 500+ Posts

ditto. idmas

skc

9. scharnell

scharnell 1,000+ Posts

I dont mind being bumped by a team that has an average star ranking of 4.22! [​IMG]

Even though everyone talks about FLA's class, I would rank them based on stars, and put them USC first, Texas second, FLA third.

10. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

Hope USC fan enjoys their lofty recruiting ranking after Kiffin coaches all that talent down. He's not Pete Carroll light...

11. Nytejag

Nytejag 100+ Posts

USC is ALWAYS up there!! They have great talent, but no coaching!! Too many superstars, and team chemistry suffers. Texas gets just the right mix, year-after-year. I will show a spreadsheet soon, to point this out! [​IMG]

12. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

for a team where "team chemistry suffers" they sure win a shitload of football games.

13. Colt McVince

Colt McVince 250+ Posts

they are #1 on rivals now over florida. [​IMG]

14. 22 HORN

22 HORN 250+ Posts

So, is there really an on field difference in a 4.2 , 3.92 and a 3.89 star ranking...is too much made of this ranking of 17-18 yr old players?

15. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

I"m completely satisfied with our class. Besides opinions on classes don't mean a lot to me. It is future performances that count.

16. Bill in Sinton

The only thing I wonder about is why we didn't offer Henderson. There must be a good reason.

17. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

18. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

they only signed 6 defensive players. I thought defense was their problem last year.

Is it more about collecting 5 stars with them? For the last 10 years they have virtually been rated #1 every year by recruiting services.

Yet they have only 1 crystal ball trophy to show for it.

19. Slick16

Slick16 250+ Posts

Not so fast, my friends. Word is that Seantrel Henderson has delayed signing, pending the Infractions Committee's rectal exam of USC, later this month.

The Link

20. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

We're just going to have to find some way to do more with less. Perhaps our coaching can level the field.

21. Dr_Bob_Rio

Dr_Bob_Rio 250+ Posts

So what happens if he doesn't sign a LOI by the end of the signing period (Apr. 1)? The article linked said that he could not sign and still receive a schollie. How does that work?

22. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Based on what is actually signed, both Texas and Florida have better classes than USC. USC is still a solid top 5 class though regardless. And of course we'll see how these classes look in 3-4 years after attrition.

I am a bit amazed by the size of some the classes at the top:
    32 - Auburn
    29 - OU
    29 - LSU
    28 - Florida

As other poster mentioned, USC's class is 75% on the offensive side of the ball. This is not a balanced class and should be taken into context when ranking a class. It is going to leave some holes at certain positions on defense in a few years. It may also hurt their depth over the next few years. Only 1 DT and 1 LB....and zero DEs.

23. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

No one has to sign a letter of intent. All the letter of intent does is create a hands off sign to other schools along with an agreement for the player to go to that particular school and receive a scholarship.

Any school that has scholarships open at the beginning of the school year can grant a scholarship to anyone who shows up at the start of the year and qualifies for enrollment.

24. Bill in Sinton

I agree that if Henderson is delaying his signing we ought to call and see if he is interested at least. I am sure the coaches are on top of this and will do what is best.

25. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

Kiffin seems confident that USC will not receive any prospective penalities from the current NCAA investigation: Link. He might be right, but I certainly wouldn't make any promises. By the way, take a look at the byline--Thayer Evans lives.

26. Pentaconta

Pentaconta 1,000+ Posts

3.89 avg stars + Mack at HC >> 4.2 avg stars + Lane Kiffin at HC

That is all.

27. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

The Link
    And how 'bout this follow up article regarding the vaunted USC Pete Carroll replacements.

Already backed into a corner by the media.
    [​IMG]

28. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

There is so much more to success on the field than "stars" that it's rather silly to be splitting hairs at this point. Sure you need a recruiting class with the raw talent that comes with maybe a top 20 team or so. But given that foundation, work ethic, coachability, character, making grades, coaching, team chemistry, balance of skill across a team, etc. are ultimately what brings home the crystal football. Mack understands the value of these intangibles perhaps better than any other coach out there.

29. Texas Renegade

Texas Renegade 100+ Posts

apparently they have now passed florida.

30. Dirty Martin

Dirty Martin 500+ Posts

This guy seems to be a perfect fit for USC and Lane Violation.

On Tuesday night he was in a hotel room in Midtown Manhattan??? WTF!

Randy Shannon's in-home visit was delayed by an hour and a half while Seantrel was having his hair done???

And Kiffin, being very, very choosy with his words, assured the Henderson's that there shouldn't be anything wrong because there was no knowledge of anything going on by the staff. Right. That should clear things up.