USC’s 4th timeout in first half

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Dionysus, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Before their TD to end the half

timeout.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

I rarely complain about refs because things usually even out after sixty minutes. Tonight wasn't the case. C Johnson was held for twenty yards on his route in the first half, no call. That was blatant PI. All of us could give other examples. So many calls were missed tonight.

I believe the better team won tonight, we didn't move the ball for about 45 to 50 minutes. We should have been up by 14 at least going into that fourth qtr. Our defense was as good as I've seen them since 2009, our offense couldn't move the ball.... But the refs made it especially tough for us.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

That's what I was telling my trophy wife at the time. It really ticked me off. That, and the fact that she wouldn't stop looking at the wrestling trophy she just won.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  4. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Just amazing. In 2017 there's no excuse for losing track of this.

• Like Like x 2
  5. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

What about the blatant face mask when we were in field goal range and would have given us a first and I think. Instead we turn it over on that play. If I didn't link to the right spot 2:36 mark

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Not a facemask. It was a good no call by the refs.

7. militaryhorn

I beg to differ. This is straight out of the rule book

Read the passage and look at the video again and tell me he doesn't grab the helmet and twist.

Helmet and Face Mask Fouls ARTICLE 8. a. No player shall continuously contact an opponent’s face, helmet (including the face mask) or neck with hand(s) or arm(s) (Exception: By or against the runner). [S26} b. No player shall grasp and then twist, turn or pull the face mask, chin strap or any helmet opening of an opponent. It is not a foul if the face mask, chin strap or helmet opening is not grasped and then twisted, turned or pulled. When in question, it is a foul.

• Like Like x 8
  8. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Yeah, it's not understanding the rules to say it was a good call. No, he didn't grab the face mask, but he obviously grabbed the helmet under the ear hole area and turned Sam's head.

9. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I don't think he grasped any opening, he just had his hand flat against the side of the helmet.

10. militaryhorn

Read the first part of the rule about continuously contacting that area. He had his arm and hand on his neck and helmet area the whole time.

The only question is he considered a runner or passer at that point because he did end up passing the ball.

11. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Bottom line to me is at real speed his head was twisted completely. Anyone who wants to try to say that at real speed in real time the ref determined whether or not the helmet was grabbed or not is giving WAY too much credit to the refs in question. A flag damn well should have been thrown.

As far as a 4th TO, how did not only the entire officiating crew miss it but also the announcers and everyone on the Texas staff? Doesn't some GA or someone keep track of things like that? Why didn't Herman mention it in the presser? Did this really happen?

I remember the Miss 5th down so I know it can happen, but, like someone said, in 2017?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Replay clearly showed no grasping. The call could have gone either way and I was screaming at the TV until I saw the replay. At that point, I had to grudgingly acknowledge the ref was not completely blind.

• Like Like x 1
  13. horninchicago

Yes, the replay. Again, at real speed in real time how the hell do they not throw the flag and then let the USC fans ***** about the call later? I have never see, particularly a QB, a player have his head spun around like that and a flag not thrown.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

When did it become legal to impact the quarterback's head in any manner while he is attempting to pass. Guess he became a runner the moment he attempted to avoid an unblocked pass rusher. That being said, the Horns had the game in their hands and let it slip through.

15. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I noticed it the moment USC called timeout #2 but it was only counted as their first. Incompetent that none of the refs or official stat keepers figured it out.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Maybe it's sour grapes to ***** about the refs but this game was dirty. Did USC get called for anything other than obvious false starts? I heard they were PAC-12 refs.

• Like Like x 1
  17. horninchicago

It is a bit I guess, and I don't know that besides that Okie State game a couple years ago, I don't generally put much on the officiating as it usually evens out. Not to be Aggie-like, but this was definitely bad in favor of USC.

I heard that too. Seems like when we have Big 12 refs, they almost seem to go out of their way to not seem like homers and not make calls in favor of Texas.

• Like Like x 3
  18. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I think the purpose of the rule is to keep the head of players from being spun around to prevent injury. Think about it, if SE didn't have a helmet on the def players wouldn't have been able to grasp anything and twist the head around like that. The def player had to have partial helmet to be able to do that. The rule seems to apply to this situation. Everyone here agrees that when it happened in real time that a flag without a doubt should have been thrown. So to just ignore what everyone saw and allow the play to go on with out a flag is ridiculous. So many obvious downfield pass interferences on our WR and not a one was called. A 4th time out called should never happen. These guys have no business ref'ing even pop warner.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

If you always call it like you see it no matter what team it is, it's not Aggie-like. The officials were, objectively speaking, horrendously one-sided against Texas in the 2017 USC game and the 2015 Oklahoma State game, to the point where it is very likely to have swung the outcome of the games. It happens in our favor, too - we would have lost to Iowa State in 2013 if the refs hadn't blown the goal line fumble call - it just hasn't been in our favor the last couple of times.

• Like Like x 1
  20. horninchicago

Just have to put in that qualifier lol.

21. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I think it also happened in the Cal game last year. Although we deserve to lose that game the refs blew the call at the end when the Cal player dropped the ball before he crossed the plains of the goal line. The ball did come to a stop, but no whistle was blown and one of our players did pick up the ball and started running with it and then they blew the whistle. Again, we didn't deserve to win like that so it's not as a big deal. But still an obvious blown call against us.

• Like Like x 1
  22. horninchicago

Calls will be missed or blown, but just way too much last night to not think it was intentional almost. But hey, that's just me.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

In my opinion, our coaching staff should've known how many timeouts USC had and then called the ref's attention to the fact they were getting awarded a 4th....

• Like Like x 4
  24. horninchicago

True. Of course, the damage is done when they grant it in the first place since they do get the stoppage of play.

Is there a penalty for delay of game or something for calling a timeout in this case? What is the repercussion?

Edit: Just asking in general.

25. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

There is a penalty. Not sure what it is but loss of down and yardage I would think.

26. horninchicago

Okay that makes sense, and yes, our staff should have been shouting it from the rooftops.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

The instance of this I recall, it was Colorado, not Ole Miss. I was watching the game live in my hotel room in Chicago at the time. I believe that was the year CU won the MNC.

28. horninchicago

I meant Mizzou but somehow I put Miss. Yeah, CU, sorry.

29. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

We would have been ahead if the officials had not blown the block in the back penalty on that end-of-the-half TD. Who knows how the 2nd half would have unfolded if those pathetic Pac 12 officials had done their damn job.

• Like Like x 1
  30. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I watched most of this one and thought you guys got hosed on some officiating. I think I'm fairly objective. Represented the Big 12 well.

• Like Like x 2