USC’s 4th timeout in first half

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Dionysus, Sep 17, 2017.

1. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i've read some places that maybe the 1st TO was converted into a TV timeout or offiicial's timeout.

2. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

I noticed it when the second TO was called and the scoreboard still said USC had 2 left. Someone on the UT staff should have noticed and gotten it corrected then. I said something to my wife about it at the time, but never imagined it would end up mattering.

• Like Like x 1
  3. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

I was unexpectedly impressed with the defense, they played lights out. If we run the ball just a few more times with Warren we win that game. The bad snaps and lack of calling running plays are my only 2 big gripes. There are certain situations were you have to run the ball and Warren should have had at least 10-15 more carries.

4. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Yes, but what does that have to do with the 4th timeout? o_O

5. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

Would like to know if one of their timeouts was indeed converted to a tv timeout. If so then this is a non-issue. Even with some bad calls or lack of pass interference calls, complete lack of running game, freshman QB, bad snaps, injured lineman, we still should have won this game.

6. horninchicago

What is the talk of a timeout being converted? If a team calls timeout, how does that happen? "Oh no, that's okay, you don't need to use a timeout, we'll just show some commercials." Hmmm......

7. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I don't think there is such a thing as a TV timeout in football other than the scheduled TV timeouts around changes of possession/injuries. There is the full timeout which allows for TV time and does not end until the commercial/TV face time is over, but one of the teams have to call that one.

8. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

Correct. You don't just get to randomly decide that a TO is TV. One of three things has to happen to trigger a TVTO.

1) Change of possession
    2) Injury
    3) Some other stoppage of play (power outage, lightning, etc).

Any other TO has to be called by a participating team against their allowance of 3 TO's per half.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Quite frankly I agree. I have never seen a tv timeout in the middle of a drive unless there is an injury. They don't just say, "Hey, I know you've got the ball six plays into a drive so I guess we need to show some commercials and what a coincidence that you were going to take a timeout too."

• Like Like x 1
  10. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Has anyone figured his out? Was one of the TO's actually an injury TO? I would have hoped that someone at Texas would be yelling about a 4th TO, but nothing seems to have been said.

• Like Like x 1
  11. horninchicago

You would think that question would have been asked at the presser. Must have been a non issue I guess.