Using Chris Warren as decoy?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by BigBull, Sep 16, 2017.

1. BigBull

BigBull 25+ Posts

What else can it be?

Usually takes a running back a few runs to get the mojo going. This is ridiculous.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

This is more on the inability of Shack, Sam, and the OL to be on the same page any given down. Sam seems confused about when the snap is coming. The OL doesn't shoot off the ball because they don't know when Shack has delivered it with the crowd noise and no "clap clap clap" like the other two games. The play is dead before it begins, at least half the time.

If they were all on the same page (and Williams wasn't hurt and Nickelson/Okafor weren't getting annihilated on the edges), we could see some better runs.

• Like Like x 3
  3. BigBull

BigBull 25+ Posts

This is exactly why we should be running the ball.... No pass blocking...

4. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

perhaps getting the 3 points in that first possession would be a better idea???

• Like Like x 5
  5. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Ridiculous. Chris Warren needs to transfer for his SR season and I wouldn't blame him one bit.

6. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Herman just said Warren had an eye laceration. I have no idea if that's why he was limited.

7. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Warren had 4 carries for 16 yds. Porter 5 for 9. If Warren could run straight he should have been given the ball on 2nd and 3. Or put in Heard. But Sam was beat to hell. He's not the guy to send into the line. Coaches out coaching themselves. Really hurt us.

• Like Like x 5
  8. BigBull

BigBull 25+ Posts

Lot of ebb and flow. Great game and effort. Best in years. Proud of team. But the loss came down to the above. I thought these coaches were better than this.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

^ This. Maybe the computer doesn't spit this out, but when you have a freshman QB, no running game, an offensive line that struggles, and you are facing an opponent that outmatches you, most of the time it makes sense to take the points. I guess that's why we still pay coaches >$1M a year.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

looks like the coaches don't have enough faith in Carter at this moment but I am kind of a gambler, I would use him even in a tough game like this.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

I liked young's physical style from what I've seen, carter I see as a future game breaker. I'm really disappointed we didn't use Young on several situations, the last play included.

Last drive...Reality was Sam had the ball, it needed to be secured and that didn't happen. But he shouldn't have been put in that position to begin with.

Best part of tonight was the recruiting angle. If I was a five star qb I'd know that position is wide open from what I saw....Much improvement is needed badly.... I'd get on the phone with some five star OL and RBs saying Texas is the place to be... Right now....and if I was a Badass defensive recruit I'd want to be a part of what I saw tonight. We were aggressive, physical, and kicked Usc's offense around. The defense made a great impression

• Like Like x 2
  12. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

Sam didn't kill us. I thought he played a pretty good game overall. Made mistakes ... but hey ... he's not paid 5 mill/year either.

Why would we beg for another QB injury at the goal line ... when that starting QB is a ... TRUE FRESHMAN. Seems that'd indicate we are a little thin at QB.

13. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

So you think that Sam's performance in his first legitimate game in college as a true freshman means we need to keep looking, huh? Well, he had a nice audition. I hear he'd make a great equipment manager, though.

14. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  15. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Anyone saying something that ignorant should be fired on the spot.

• Like Like x 3
  16. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

^^^
    This.

• Like Like x 1
  17. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

If Beck really believes that he is blind. Porter has shown nothing through 3 games. Goes down as soon as is touched. What's an eye laceration?

• Like Like x 1
  18. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Some sort of cut in or around the eye.

• Like Like x 2
  19. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

I think Herman meant to say that Beck has an eye laceration.

• Like Like x 6
  20. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

This^^^. Sam, a true freshman, not a strong as Warren, should not have been asked to try to push the scrum forward two plays in a row. I was not surprised Sam had the ball wrested away. Either you give it to a running back who practices every day holding onto the ball in a jammed scrum, or you run a different play. Calling that play may have been the biggest mistake the coaches made last night.

• Like Like x 3
  21. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Guess this brings us back to the thread about Warren after the SJSU game. Anyone who thinks Porter should be getting more reps must be a "practice and locker room" guy who is seeing something that the rest of the world isn't. And that's fine, I guess.

Warren did choose the wrong assignment on a couple of protection packages last night, and I think that's what the coaches see since we seem to throw way more when the game is close.

• Like Like x 1
  22. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Beck may be Herman's Achilles Heel. He's mediocre...at best, and that's being generous. It's not a flattering reflection on Herman.

• Like Like x 4
  23. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

From the Merck Manual:
    Most likely, Warren got his eyeball scratched which can affect vision temporarily and can be painful at the time.

24. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  25. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

In his post game press conference, Herman was asked about Warren. He said "what did he have, 4 for 15, long of 5". Then he thought about it and said; " if I run him 10 times I get 38 yards, 20 times 76". Then he just shrugged it off as if to say, that's not enough.

He doesn't get it. 3.8 ypc gets you a first down every time! First downs move you down the field and take the pressure off your freshman qb.

We did the same thing against Maryland. We gave up on the run and threw every down. Can't win many like that.

• Like Like x 5
  26. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Well :e-thinking:

27. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

while i agree that warren is on another level, what i most find wrong about coach beck's comments is calling the backs interchangeable when their physical attributes and skill-sets are not similar.

even if they were on the same level, beck saying that is like saying a baritone and a bass are interchangeable.

it just doesn't make sense.

• Like Like x 5
  28. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

Are you kidding me?

So Sam should be benched when he takes 3 consecutive sacks ... "that's just not enough (production)"

Didn't know much about TH beyond he was a grad asst inn macks staff.

I'm not impresssed.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

yes I don't like TH limited thinking. He doesn't consider that CW might break off a long run say on his sixth carry.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

This is interesting. I have seen many players that could have had big careers if they hadn't been stymied by a coach. Think Young and Fisher(?)