US's best small cities - # 6 Norman, Sucklahoma

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by atxbaby, Jul 14, 2008.

1. atxbaby

atxbaby 250+ Posts

2. SINCE73

SINCE73 250+ Posts

Looks like some of you Texans need to get out of the house more often & travel.

3. IRC

IRC 1,000+ Posts

4. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

One thing I can tell you with absolute certainty-when I get out of the house to travel, it ain't gonna be on a trip to Norman, Oklahoma.

5. KingBobo81

KingBobo81 250+ Posts

FYI - the article is top 10 small cities to live in.

6. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

7. Sooner-Tuf

Sooner-Tuf 1,000+ Posts

Norman is a nice town. It is too big for me to call home but I enjoy the time I spend there.

8. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

9. ptownhorn

ptownhorn 1,000+ Posts

Overland Park, KS came in 9th. It's pretty nice here. I like it better here than all the places I have lived in Texas. I have lived in San Marcos, Corpus, Waco, Dallas. (san marcos was better, but only because of college)
    Sucks in the winter here

10. Sooner-Tuf

Sooner-Tuf 1,000+ Posts

11. Ok_Longhorn

Ok_Longhorn 25+ Posts

Norman isn't even the best Oklahoma City suburb!!

The only thing that makes Norman look good is being next to Moore.

12. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

13. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

SINCE73, having lived in Oklahoma for three years (Enid), and having driven to and through the OKC area many times, I can make a judgment based on experience - Norman is a hole!!!

HHD [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Sooner-Tuf

Sooner-Tuf 1,000+ Posts

15. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

16. El Paso Way

El Paso Way 100+ Posts

Ramathorn, no offence, but you sound like a yankee that moved to Texas recently and you are just trying to fit in.

17. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

el paso, I've lived here 26 out of my 31 years. I just can't stand visitors that come on a site just to talk ****. Go back to soonerfans with that crap, he'll get a better audience.

And offense taken, guy. They still haven't answered the questions and since73 has embarassed himself way too many times in the last few months. He also talks **** about UT on other boards.

I graduated from UT, el paso. Did you?

18. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

19. El Paso Way

El Paso Way 100+ Posts

Hey guys, point well taken. I personally cannot recall ever going thru Norman so I cannot give any opinion about it. I apologize for offending you. Although I don't have anything bad to say about El Paso, (I started my business here 13 years ago), I cannot wait for the day to get back to central Texas.

20. Eating Club

Eating Club 250+ Posts

That list sucks. 99% are suburbs. Wasn't College Station top five last year? Now it's nowhere to be found.

21. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

The whole ranking is stupid, because the only reason Norman, Round Rock and Overland Park are on the list is because they are in fact part of Oklahoma City, Austin, and Kansas City. That isn't a small town, that is a bedroom community of a large town.
    Find a real small town and rank them, then we can talk. Kerville, Texas maybe.

22. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

23. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

i hear you, there isn't much of anything to look at on the drive from KC down 35 (other than maybe the arbuckles). however, to be fair to norman, you aren't really driving through it at all. 35 doesn't run down the middle of norman like it does Austin or Dallas. so, if that is the extent of your visits to norman, you don't really know what is there.

agree with the above poster though. if you truly want to rate small towns, they should have a distance rule or something. like you must be atleast 50 miles from a city over 200K or something.

24. acworthhorn

acworthhorn 25+ Posts

I wouldn't live in any of the Top Ten. They use a different criteria than I do.

25. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

26. Sooner-Tuf

Sooner-Tuf 1,000+ Posts

27. blueag09

blueag09 250+ Posts

28. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

i think B/CS was in top five most educated towns, or something like that.

29. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

sooner_tuf, fair response.

orangeblooded, thanks for getting my back.

El paso, it's all good. I don't mind having Sooners or Aggies on the board because, hey we're rivals. But there's got to be a certain level of respect. Since73 is disrespectful to the UT program on this and other boards. He still hasn't responded to the Russell Shephard thread.