UT (6) vs Aggy (3) in West

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Clean, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

In Okie City. Wow, probably not the draw they hoped for.

Assumes we get by 11 N Iowa and they beat Wisconsin-Green Bay

2. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

Yea, remember, both teams have to win their first round game before they can count on meeting eachother

3. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

Assuming they both get by, going to be a tough match up. Ags looked good against Kentucky. Good inside game. Unless Ridley can play meaningful minutes and contribute, could be ugly.

Wonder what the Committee's reasoning was to put these two teams together?

4. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

A&M is a horrific matchup for Texas.

Texas hasn't shot very well from outside, and does not have a physical inside game to keep up. A&M is like baylor with far better outside shooting

5. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

They beat us early in the season.
    But not horribly if I remember correctly.
    We just have to be the best team that day.

• Like Like x 1
  6. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

A good thing is that A&M has scoreboard, and will most definitely be favored if that game happens. That would give Texas a lot less to lose.

Then again, it's the NCAA tournament, so every team playing has got their whole season to lose!

7. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

NCAA committee loves these kind of matchups, was either this or put Texas against VCU, if possible.

Was easier for them to do it this way, in Oklahoma City, with aggy.

Texas is certainly due for a good shooting game.

8. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Shaka made a name for himself over achieving in the tourney. Let's hope he's got some. Magic left.

9. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

They are a better team than us and so I guess "ought" to win, but we've been one of the more dangerous squads in the nations this year as far as beating teams that seemed/were better than us.

10. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Looks like game time is Friday, 8:45pm on TBS.

11. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

I predict we lose by a combined 20+ points against Aggy in baseball Tuesday, and if we meet them in the tourney.

Hope I'm wrong, but seriously believe they lay it on us, twice.

12. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

It's following the aggy vs. Green Bay game that tips at 6:20 pm, whenever that happens to be.

So a pretty late tip for sure.

13. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

Was about to post this myself. Could be a tough week to be a Longhorn fan... :whiteflag:

14. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

How we play has more to do with Taylor's foot. Plantar fasciitis is incredibly painful. It took a good solid 9 months for mine to clear. You can tell he's not getting the lift he wants and explains why he's been missing layups in side.

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  16. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Catholic probably has it right. We match up worse with aggy than we do with Baylor...20+ loss or more...Could be LSU ugly....
    Baseball could be 20 as well...They crush the ball and have good pitching and defense.....We are just lacking in all departments hitting, pitching, and fielding.....
    Aggy acquaintance of mine said they were going to have a sore foot come Sunday night.....from kicking our ***....I am hoping for thunderstorms in CS Tuesday.....
    On a positive note: I don't think we need to worry about Aggy on the hardwood.
    I don't see us getting past Northern Iowa. We don't match up with them any better than we do with Baylor. They seem to be on a roll and we are in a skid lately.
    Whatever happens we still have 27-25 ...for now.

17. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Ags beat us by 11 last time.
    We'll see.
    We got some rest while they played into their conference championship game.
    But still got to win the first one.
    I will never say we are going to lose.
    Just have to be the better team that day.
    Hook'em. :hookem:

18. sblazer

sblazer 500+ Posts

What I don't understand is how there's 4 big 12 teams in 1 bracket?!?!!!?

• Like Like x 1
  19. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

No. Because at the end of the week, we will still be us and they will still be them. They are like herpes: no known cure.

:cowrose:

20. sblazer

sblazer 500+ Posts

My correction, 3 big 12 teams.... and aTm.

21. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

How do we not match up well with Northern Iowa? They are one of the worst rebounding teams in the country.

They play a slow deliberate style of offense that depends almost entirely on outside shooting. They are in the bottom of NCAA teams in free throws attempted, because they don't get fouled much, with all the outside shooting. This would greatly favor Texas, with all the fouls they usually get.

This is the kind of team we have matched up very well with all season.

Baylor is a bad matchup because they are long and athletic, have a very good inside game. They can score in the paint and get our shorthanded bigs in foul trouble. They also have guards that can penetrate and score.

Baylor has totally dominated the glass against Texas, shouldn't be the case against a poor rebounding Northern Iowa team.

Texas should be able to play man to man defense against Northern Iowa and not get into foul trouble.

If Texas loses, it's won't be because we don't match up well, it will be because Northern Iowa makes a lot of outside shots.

• Like Like x 3
  22. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

The committee rigs brackets a bit to place teams like us and aggy against one another.
    They were called out about it on the bracketology show.

• Like Like x 1
  23. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Unfortunately, I have to agree.

24. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Come on... really? ;)

25. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

We fittin' to beat Aggy twice...book it. :coolnana:

• Like Like x 1
  26. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

SEConspiracy

• Like Like x 1
  27. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

I realize why they did it but you've really got to massage the numbers/seeds in order to make that happen. Seems like they have enough to worry about instead of trying to recreate rivalries (same for the attempt to get Kentucky and Indiana in the second round).

• Like Like x 1
  28. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

For those don't watch Fox News, Juan Williams put Texas in the Final Four. Hmmmm.

29. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

Already 0-1 this week. Gonna be tough if both teams win on Friday and then A&M throttles Texas to keep scoreboard in baseball and basketball for at least an entire year.

This scoreboard business wouldn't be so ridiculous if these teams just played on a regular basis, but whatever...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  30. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Texas is 11-4 against the spread in their last 15 games, 1-5-1 against the spread in their last seven neutral site games, and 0-7 against the spread in their last seven NCAA Tournament games. Northern Iowa is 6-0 against the spread against the Big 12, 12-3-1 against the spread in their last 16 neutral site games, and 7-0-1 against the spread against a team with a winning record. N. Iowa is +4.5 favorite I think.

Still, I'm picking Texas in the first round. I think the matchup is pretty even but Coach Smart will be the X factor. We have enough talent/depth and the guys will be well rested and poised and come out hot to give us a good showing and knock off the Panthers.

I'll echo the sentiment that aTm is a really, really, really bad #3 draw for us. Texas 1 and done this year.