UT-Baylor game

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Tark, Jan 22, 2018.

1. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Chaz didn't travel, she's battling an illness

2. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I think I heard that Chaz has the flu and didn't make the trip. But, I agree. Hell, might as well let Khaleann in the game too with Destiny.

3. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Thanks for the status.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Tough night for our ladies. See you all Saturday for ISU :hookem:

5. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Not the game I was expecting. This was to tie for 1st place in the Big 12.Texas came out , with a lack energy and passion for the game. We look so lost on Offense and Defense. I was not impress with the Coaching either.

6. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

And yet she had highest score for us with 16.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RBarabino

RBarabino 25+ Posts

If this team doesn’t make at least the Sweet 16 this year, I think Aston’s job should be on the line.

8. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

well, that was bad. Hard to understand how the urgency and desire wasn't there from the start.

Wallace shredded our guards. And they couldn't hit any shots.

Another chance coming on Feb. 19.

• Like Like x 2
  9. utfannforlife

You know what, I don't like competing against her sideline antics but KM is classy at the times that matter most. Watching her at the end of the game with Jamie, and then again with Chameka Scott's mom and family that was genuine empathy and compassion.

10. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Calm down.

• Like Like x 2
  11. utfannforlife

uhhh we're a long way away from that. Texas is still a top 10 team. Cant remember the last time a top 10 team lost a coach on the mens or women's side. Minus the situations involving impropriety

• Like Like x 2
  12. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Disappointing loss by the players and obviously the coach. They have a quick turnaround and have to be prepared and ready to play.

13. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

:lmao:

• Like Like x 1
  14. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

Well, that was U-G-L-Y. BU got the benefit of some visually impaired refs and UT folding like a bunch of paper dolls. I agree with Coach saying they were playing like they were afraid. It seems when I start to believe this team might have what it takes to go somewhere they pull a stunt like this. And no, it's not the Coach.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Oakman

Oakman Guest

Felt that there was no ball movement. From the start seemed like either one pass then a shot or one on multiple defenders with a very difficult shot also not enough crashing the boards. Can’t win many games like that especially against very good teams.

• Like Like x 1
  16. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I quit watching it with 7 minutes to go. I had it on tape delay so we were catching up and then I thought, "What's the point yelling at the TV when whatever I watched was 30 minutes ago?" There was no bright spot in this game. What killed me was watching a bunch of white jerseys with no orange under the basket. I guess this is the look that other teams see when we play them. It's like at a certain point in the 2nd Quarter the team just looked at Brown and Cox and just gave up. This is certainly on the coaches but also on the players. I guess this shows how much we miss a tall defensive post like Kelsey Lang. Sigh, when do Sedona and Charli show up?

• Like Like x 1
  17. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

This was the year I thought we would win the Big 12 and beat Baylor at least twice. I thought we were more athletic and talented than Baylor. If Baylor beat us inside, then we would bomb away from the outside with Brooke, Ariel and our super talented Freshmen, Rellah, Chaz and Destiny. Our guards would be quicker than their guards and Ariel, Brooke, LaShann and Sug could drive and slash to the basket.
    Additionally, I was relieved that Joyner would return in time for the Baylor game.

I also thought we were the team that had been battle tested. I thought Baylor was fools gold and might wither under the pressure of playing a good team.

I despise Baylor. I despise Baylor as much as I despised Bob Stoops' Oklahoma Sooner's football team. But, IMO, the Baylor team that played tonight could beat any team in the country. I'm not sure they can play at such a high level consistently but Kim had her team ready to compete.

I'm disappointed. I certainly thought we might lose tonight but I never anticipated getting blown out by our arch rival on national TV. As bad as I feel, I know the coaches and the players feel worse. Hopefully, this game will be a reckoning and we'll improve from this point forward.

• Like Like x 4
  18. utfannforlife

Hard for me to say "they would beat any team in the country" because we didnt play well at all. Had we played even semi good or decent and got beat like this then it would've given a fair benchmark. But we played our worst game of the season BY FAR. Not saying that BU couldn't beat most teams, just not sure they got a fair test from us. Credit to them though. Your rival comes in not ready to play, you're supposed to beat em like a drum. And drum they did!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. texfiter

texfiter 100+ Posts

I'm embarrassed beyond belief and one of the worst losses by Texas in recent memory. Unfortunately we were afraid and tight from the start. Even worse was seeing the upside down Horns and even their coach celebrating on the sidelines at Texas' expense. Some things are tough to wash out of your memory banks and this is one of those things.

20. HornByProxy

HornByProxy < 25 Posts

Anyone catch postgame quotes?

21. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

22. chuckhorn

chuckhorn 25+ Posts

Not that I ever liked Coach G, but she had a point. In order to be a champion you have to walk, talk and act like a champion. The way these coaches and players act and talk, is like they could care less. Every interview is the same. Yesterdays interviews with Aston and Brooke when all they could say was this isn't a rivalry, this is just another game. I know you might want to down play it, but they acted like they could care less and that is they way they walked in there an played. I have never heard a coach or a player say with passion we want to win, we want to win a championship. I was so excited to have Rellah join the team. Some that had the guts to say I WANT TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP, but we all see where that has gotten us. Brooked got schooled by Wallace. Sutton when she runs the point NEVER looks to take a shot. It would have been one thing to loose to UConn by 30, but getting thumped by Baylor by 30 on ESPN was embarrassing to say the least.

• Like Like x 1
  23. texfiter

texfiter 100+ Posts

McCarty did, indeed, get schooled by Wallace. It was no contest from the start.
    Sutton, indeed, was a nonfactor.
    Atkins didn't show up early against Tennessee, and it was a loss. Same result tonight.
    Holmes has poor body language when things don't go well. Pull it together and get on to the next play.

• Like Like x 1
  24. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Being competitive every game is something that a coach shouldn’t have to talk about. And this is at least the second game that Coach Aston has talked about just not being competitive. I agree with Coach Aston when she talked about needing to have better decisions in the half court and getting more frontcourt scoring.

25. texfiter

texfiter 100+ Posts

As Coach Andy Landers said on the set: We didn't appear excited about the challenge of knocking off Baylor in their gym. They were very motivated to beat us. Maybe they saw the NCAA first reveal in the bracketing which had Texas the overall 7 and Baylor the overall 9.

• Like Like x 1
  26. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Yes, it was awful. Baylor is a lot better with Cox than when they just had Kalani as their main post. Baylor will not play this well every night. It was Wallace's career high. I give us a very good chance to beat them here.

I don't think it's not being prepared. I doubt we were scared at the very first, but when no one's shots are falling, I think there is a panic mentality that sets in and everyone just spirals downward with their shooting, and probably other fine points of the game, too. The amount of misses was hard to believe, even close in shots. I assume we practice against some 6'7" guy posts (?). Surely. Our players looked like they didn't know what to do when they drove in close to Kalani. I will always wish we set more screens to beef up our 3 point shooting, and had more cutting to the basket. I also think the whole team panics a little bit when Brooke starts missing from early in the game. A shooting slump is a terrible thing. I was glad she hit those 3 pointers at the end. Hope it carries over. Iowa State looked pretty danged good against OSU last night in their upset.

• Like Like x 5
  27. Karen

Karen 25+ Posts

I'm not a fan of Mulkey, not at all, but I don't support insulting women for their appearance.

• Like Like x 8
  28. Karen

Karen 25+ Posts

I was also at the game when Nneka tore her ACL and I did not hear Baylor fans cheering. I was sitting with the group of Texas fans from the bus trip, and I can still hear Nenka's shriek when she went down. The arena went silent, and I wondered how the Baylor fans would react. They remained respectfully silent, then applauded when Nenka was taken off the court. I was surprised and impressed. I don't go to the games in Waco because the Baylor fans are generally so hostile it is just not fun for me and my daughter. I can feel the hostility in the arena. Kristy was vicious when W. Virgninia was beating them in them in the Big 12 championship game last year, and the ref's let her get away with body slamming WV players and being right up at the line when WV was in-bounding. I don't know what the rule is on that is, but the body slamming was assault, not basketball. I do remember that when WV won, almost all of the Baylor fans left the arena while the fans of every other team stayed to honor WV's win. When we lost to Baylor the year before that, Texas fans stayed for the ceremony. Much classier.

• Like Like x 1
  29. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

It was a pitiful game. Just straight up pitiful.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm so confused by the offense that's being run and the way that substitutes are being used.

I agree that the coaches know better from practice about the ability of the freshmen to play. BUT, then that begs the question about who we are recruiting. What's the deal?

Joyner looks nothing like she did last year. Should've just redshirted her.

• Like Like x 2
  30. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

Well we didn't get it done. Now we're playing like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde . We play outstanding against UCONN and don't show up against Baylor. WTW! Zero sense of urgency.

I had to laugh at myself last night when I got upset that they lost when I checked the score during the play. I was like, Cynt these are 18, 19, 20 and 21 year old college kids. It's just not that serious. LOL!! What were you doing at this age? I was in college and thought I knew every daggum thing! My social life was numeral uno on my "To do" list. LOL!!

So I had to step back and not judge my Longhorns by my 40 something mind set. These young ladies are still kids turning into young adults. Trying to figure it all out, go to college and still play Division 1 basketball at a high level.

Yep I was mad as heck but I know they will learn from this just like I learned from my mistakes. It took me longer to learn from some mistakes than others but eventually I figured it out. And our Longhorns will do the same. :hookem::hookem::bevo:

• Like Like x 3