UT Class rings

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by DallasTexasEx, Feb 2, 2012.

1. DallasTexasEx

DallasTexasEx 100+ Posts

Just curious...how many of you wear your college class rings on a daily basis? I don't wear mine often, but I do see alot of guys wear theirs on a daily basis. I know aggys are obsessed with their class rings and wear them routinely, but just curious what the hornfans consensus is on wearing class rings?

2. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

I have one and I wear it proudly [​IMG]

3. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I go in spurts -- I'll wear my UT ring daily for a while, then I'll wear something else. Right now I'm wearing a sterling cross ring with a heart in the middle. I'll [probably start wearing my class ring again when baseball season starts.

I think the importance of the aggy ring goes back to when their student body was almost exclusively farm boys. These kids had never had anything nice, much less a piece of real jewelry. They attached a level of importance to the ring that goes beyond what any rational person would consider normal. And, because they are so steeped in tradition, it's only natural that all future generations would follow. Just like sheep

4. bevo barry

bevo barry 500+ Posts

I made a mistake and got the "jumbo" size/style (back when Balfour was the default ring and sold by the Co-op, in the early 70s). Though the ring is properly sized for my ring finger, overall it is somewhat too large for my relatively small hand...the proportion isn't right, if you get my drift. So I don't wear it routinely. But I do break it out proudly for special occasions (weddings, the BLoWu game, etc).

5. Little Earl

Little Earl 100+ Posts

I wear mine when I attend UT events, but otherwise I am not much of a jewelry kind of guy.

6. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

I used to wear mine all the time but it has a tendency to get in the way for me. Also I may be weird but even though I'm very proud of my degree I don't feel a burning need to brag about it.

7. BigEarlinBastrop

BigEarlinBastrop 250+ Posts

8. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Didnt get one. Never really was jewelry kind of guy so never saw need for it. I dont begrudge those who got one but just isnt my thing.

9. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

Don't shoot me but I sold mine! Never have worn rings much and it sat in a box with my high school ring for 30+ yrs. Sold them with a couple gold crowns when I thought gold had topped out at $1300 awhile back.

I have not noticed a decrease in my Longhorn fervor since the sale so I guess I dodged the curse.....but wait.... there have been a few unwelcomed occurrances in my life since then. DO NOT SELL YOUR RING!!!!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

11. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

"the proportion isn't right, if you get my drift"

I have the same problem..... [​IMG]

12. F1Longhorn

F1Longhorn 250+ Posts

I wear mine daily. It sometimes gets mistaken for an aggy ring, but I always laugh when I see the other person's face as I do the [​IMG]

13. HornTYS

HornTYS 100+ Posts

I never got one either...jewelry isn't my thing.

I don't think my dad ever takes his off.

Think it's more of a generational thing. I graduated in 98 and i don't think many of my friends git rings either.

14. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Not ot get too far off the subject but isn't there some stupid aggy thing about wearing down parts of their ring?

Then there is the old joke, A HOT female Longhorn sitting in a bar turns down a guy who tries to hit on her explaining," I never date aggys>
    Ag asked, How did you know I was an aggy?
    Hot Longhorn, "I saw your ring when you licked your nose"

ba da boom

15. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

^^^^

I dont think thats a joke.

16. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

^^^

Right up there with the schtick about the now-defunct ring tabs on beer - a/k/a aggy rings with booger hooks.

17. darius

darius 500+ Posts

I still wear mine, and like F1Longhorn's, it is frequently mistaken for an aggy ring.

18. longhorn_melissa

longhorn_melissa 250+ Posts

I have the female version, so mine isn't as bulky. I wear it everyday and feel weird when I forget it. [​IMG]

19. 71grad

71grad 1,000+ Posts

I wear my class ring on game days and my T Ring everyday.

20. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

wear mine (Class of '87) occasionally, and proudly wear my Grandfather's also on special occasions--he graduated in 1931!! [​IMG] Thanks, Granddad

21. H-D Rider

H-D Rider 1,000+ Posts

I wear my T-Ring everyday. Was a class ring necessary?

22. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

If you have a T-ring a class ring isn't necessary.

23. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Always wear mine when I am required to wear a suit, football games/sporting events, and in meetings I know have the chance of aggy in attendance. Almost always the aggy asks if if aggy ring, (especially engineers) and I show them the writing :THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS. Unfortunatley the new UT rings now have "University of Texas Austin" dropping the "The" and adding "Austin". Mine seems to bother aggy more.

24. Little Earl

Little Earl 100+ Posts

I bought mine back in the 90's, before the Ex-Students Association created a monopoly on the UT rings. I bought one of the old "classic" designs that still say "The University of Texas" with Longhorn on one side and the University Seal on the other. It bugs me a little that students now don't have much of a choice on rings, because the only ones offered are from the "Texas Exes". Back in the day, every ring manufacturer offered various styles of rings, so people really had choices. Now, not so much.

25. Tailgate

Tailgate 500+ Posts

I lost mine for seven+ years until a guy called one day and said I think I have your ring. Luckily my name was on the inside and he searched Austin under that name. He bought a box full at the junk yard. Where my SUV ended up after being totaled by an 18-wheeler in the rain....would not trade it or sell it for anything.

26. HORNS1999

HORNS1999 25+ Posts

I used to wear mine, but my fingers got fat and it got too tight. Once I lose finger weight, Ill wear it again.

CO'99 BA Government, minor in Sociology

27. H-D Rider

H-D Rider 1,000+ Posts

28. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

29. dheiman

dheiman 1,000+ Posts

Wear mine daily. I have the antiqued look though so you can't clean it without removing the darker texture, but otherwise it still looks great.

Like other posters my ring gets confused with agy and it is fun to laugh hysterically at the mistake. Drives ags crazy to be so offended.

30. UT1986

UT1986 500+ Posts

Wear mine daily. Have gotten a lot of compliments in the past on the gemstone (orange of course), mostly by women, LOL! When I was vacationing in Australia in the late 80s (graduated 1986), the Aussie ladies my buddies and I met in different pubs were asking "hey mate, is that your Uni ring?" "But of course my dear ladies. What else would you like to know [​IMG]