UT, OU, and SEC?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Giovanni Jones, Jul 21, 2021.

1. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I don't like the "warm-up" games against non-Power5 teams. Any non-conference games should be against other P5 programs. There is the money issue since the lower rated programs take a pretty good payday from letting a P5 program beat the snot out of them, but it doesn't make the P5 team any better. Maybe one opening day game, but the other 11 games should be against P5 programs. IIRC, the SEC schedules several non-P5 programs mainly to bolster the "we're the toughest conference" myth. Just my thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  2. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Ohio and West Virginia might be a great place to open a couch/sofa store. A fella might be a multi-millionaire after a couple of seasons.

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I have a feeling OSU would want to follow blowU to the SEC, but the SEC probably wouldn't want them. All the old BIG members could probably go back and create another monster conference.

I just don't see Tech, Baylor, TCU going to the Pac12, they could end up in the Mountain West, which would help our recruiting against them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Not all sec schools schedule cupcakes for non conference games. LSU plays a tough schedule. They scheduled us didn’t they? We could schedule whomever we want.

5. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Pretty sure the SEC balances it out with the "Bama/Auburn" rule that they instituted about 15 years ago. They moved the game from the 3rd week to the 4th week in November, and threw in I-AA (now FCS) teams to get the schedule up to 12 games. So every other SEC team followed suit. I think A&M has the current "most nonconference games against FCS teams" streak among Power-5 teams.

6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Clean I agree, but look at the bottom half of the $EC divisions and those types of schools are already there.

Texas and ou moving will blow everything up. In fact, one could speculate that once Texas and ou actually turn their papers into the Big XII, there is only a 50/50 chance that they end up in the $EC as presently constituted.

7. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

If adding UT and OU makes the SEC the first super conference, I say add 8 teams to make the first super duper conference of 22 members.
    SEC East is the 10 founding and current SEC teams plus South Carolina.
    SEC West is the 8 newly added Big 12 teams plus the two former plus Arkansas.
    The teams in those division do a 10 game round robin and send the winner to play the other division champion in a guaranteed non-rematch. ACC, Big 10, and Pac-12 get jealous and ask to merge with the SEC so that the SEC totally replaces the NCAA.

8. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

according to this layout, no doubtthe west would be the most dificult !!!

SEC west
    Texas
    OU
    Missouri
    Arkansas
    Texas A & M
    LSU
    Ole Miss
    Miss St

SEC East
    Alabama
    Auburn
    Florida
    Georgia
    Vandy
    Kentucky
    S Carolina
    Tennesseee

maybe regroup to north / south

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

:arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up:
    Thinking along those terms...

Or if the SEC absorbs the Big 12 and ACC, and 'SECedes' from the NCAA. :rolleyes1:

4 divisions: East, West, Border (Northern), and Atlantic Divisions with a playoff for a (sort of) National Championship.

aOSU would apologize for the harsh actions of Ohio native General Sherman and beg for admission. Notre Dame would re-locate its campus to New Orleans and join the fun.

A weakened BIG 10 (minus aOSU) and the PAC would play each other in the Rose Bowl as a 2nd tier league. After a few years, USC can't take it any more, so they beg for admission, having to change their name to "The other USC" as the price of admission.

(only half joking...)
    :smokin:

• Like Like x 3
  10. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Viper, why do you say only a 50/50 chance of Texas and Sooners joining sec

You thinking new conference?

I like idea of gaining Clemson, FSU, USC, maybe GT and keep TT, OSU, then pull Neb, Ark, Mizz, Utah, + 2 more

new SEC plan is acceptable......

as someone said earlier, the SEC is strong but primarily due to presence of Ala, LSU, just like B12 is strong in football due primarily to Texas and OU.....others in both conference are along for a good ride and paychecks

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

It's really hard for me to get my head around Texas in the SEC. But the idea of a Super Conference has been kicked around for more than half a century.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Clean,

The SEC had a better basketball season than the ACC this past year

13. TXO

TXO < 25 Posts

The big money donors at Texas will have a significant say on this so for those that contribute lots of $$$ what are your thoughts? Thanks! :hookem2:

Why would Texas opt for a tougher path to a New Year's Six bowl/conference championship/playoff berth?
    Does Texas really need the additional TV $$$?
    Why not try to expand the Big12 by poaching other conferences?
    When Texas returns back to form, is being more competitive for conference titles every year & top tier bowl games less desirable than middle of the pack in a tougher conference with mid-tier bowl games?

14. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Do you think the B12 hasn't already tired to "poach" other conferences? There are no "worthwhile" takers. Cooger High, Rice, Memphis, UTSA, UNM, Tulsa do nothing but make the conference weaker.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Just for laughs we should schedule the other A&Ms——Kingsville, Canyon

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

SabreHorn has it right, and has had it right for a while. The management of the Big 12 is and has been the issue. This comment, from SH on page 1, is huge:

“Right now, Clemson, FSU, GT, USC are really unhappy with there present situation;”

We’d be better off — and not have to compromise our values — if we could find a way to enhance the conference rather than depart for a conference that lacks the academic and ethical values to which we aspire.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Due to numbers. 16 conference members vs 9 for B12.

18. everette

everette 250+ Posts

their

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  19. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

:catfight:

Yes, Sabre Horn's extensive experience and knowledge in Texas athletics is all now totally discredited because of a misspelling.

How idoitic and uphauling.

:rolleyes1:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I disagree.
    There are 4 top teams in east and west
    West. East

Texas. Bama
    OU. Georgia
    LSU. Auburn
    A&M. Florida
    Maybe the west is a little tougher

21. HalRex

HalRex 1,000+ Posts

Apparently the SEC has proposed the following:
    According to their proposal, there would be four, four-team pods.

In Pod A, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky and South Carolina would be grouped, Pod B would feature Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee and Vanderbilt, Pod C would feature LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss and Texas A&M and Pod D would feature Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas.

In addition to the pods, the show proposed a nine-game conference schedule format featuring these stipulations: play the other three teams in your pod every season, play two games against each of the other pods and host every team at least once every four seasons.

• Hot Hot x 1
  22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

HR,

That will either fit really well with our future schedule or destroy it.

23. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Is there a second round of the SEC playoffs so all 4 pod winners advance? If not, how do they pick which two pod winners belong in the SEC conference championship game?

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Aggy really wants to be their own foot print and 'stand alone....'

such deep jealousy and president and fisher really are set against it

What do they do to keep up and earn big $$$$

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Poms, you may be correct.

I see East as Bama and at times Geo, Auburn, Fla as the strong boys in East

West as OU, Texas, LSU, Ag, and in time Ark and occasionnally one of Miss teams, but right now I would consider west to be a little stronger with first four

26. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

I grew up in Canyon (it was WTSU then) … I wouldn’t mind seeing a Longhorns-Buffaloes match-up (and yes, I’m aware that they are Div. II, Lone Star Conference).

27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

What % chance this UT + OU to the SEC actually happens?

• Like Like x 1
  28. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Zero, per aggy :e-face-tears:

Ex-A&M prez: 'Agreement' should nix expansion

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

My guess is 75%*

*for entertainment purposes only

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. mmsnake

mmsnake 250+ Posts

Get a strong big 12 commissioner and expand the big 12 with 2-4 teams with solid athletics and academics. Current commissioner can’t get anything done. Sec is overrated. Everyone rides Saban’s coattails. Espn is sec’s cnn.