UT Should be Embarrassed: 2016-2017 Attendance

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Aug 11, 2017.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I am mostly likely in the minority here, but, what else would interfere with an 11:30 AM game? Sounds almost perfect timing, at least for me. Houston is, what, two and a half-three hours away? same for Dallas? Start at 8 AM, plenty of time to get to the game and get back home early enough not to interfere with any evening plans.

• Like Like x 1
  2. breckenj05

breckenj05 100+ Posts

We are really just trying to spread the word about the WBB team and try to do what we can to get cheeks in the seats. The primary focus is trying to sell tickets. We promote the team on Social Media by sharing posts from the official WBB accounts on any and all social media outlets you might use. We are split into teams, we get points for attending games, selling tickets, making social media posts, etc. The ambassadors also help organize the watch parties that go on for away games. There is also usually a monthly meeting. Fran Harris heads up the group. Sometimes some of the players or coaches come to the meetings and give updates. Essentially we are just trying to rebuild the fan base and increase attendance so that these awesome players get to play in front of the crowds that they deserve to play in front of. You don't have to live in Austin to be an ambassador, it is more convenient though. I don't live in Austin so I can't always attend everything, but I do what I can to help promote the women's team.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

For some people, Sunday morning Church service.

Some people will have Christmas parties on Saturday night, so perhaps driving to Austin from out of town early on a Sunday morning is not convenient.

• Like Like x 2
  4. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Well without causing any controversy, I am just aware that both the program and fan base are very incluisive. After all, it’s UT@Austin

5. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Like I said, Moooooo, I was probably in the minority. :smile1: But for me, given my vision issues, that is about the perfect time to schedule a game. Dang, forgot which game we were talking about. Had to go back to find out it was the Florida State game.

I have to admit that, I have skipped games when more important family things come up, but church/parties are not an issue for me, personally.

6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Honestly, there is no perfect game time. But, there are many different reasons why our attendance figures aren't up to what the program would like.

I guess playing on national TV comes first. And, it does give the program exposure, especially to recruits who just can't attend the game in person (which is probably like 90% of them). Even though FSU is a Top 15 team, I'm not sure that is enough to negate the unusual tip off time of Sunday late morning. So, I'm not expecting a crowd of more than 5,000.

Even our game against UConn, which is tipping off at 6 PM Central time on a week day, isn't a great time for fans around the city who have to leave work and make their way down to campus. But, that's the time ESPN wants. Hope to have some our state's best recruits in attendance, but it will be tough for them and their families since it's on a school/work night.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Longhorn network is great but it also effects attendance to the games. Unlike in the 80’s almost every Texas basketball game is on t.v.

• Like Like x 2