UT Students Are no Shows

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by utstudboy, Nov 20, 2010.

1. utstudboy

utstudboy 250+ Posts

Terrible performance today....where the hell were you guys today?!! No excuse...you don't show up at thte games you should be thrown out of school or banned so something like that

2. FungiHorn

FungiHorn 100+ Posts

3. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

most of us have been saying that about the ut students...who play on the football team!

4. F1Longhorn

F1Longhorn 250+ Posts

The student section was pretty on par with the alumni section today...

5. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

What do you estimate the actual body count was? 80k? 75k? Less?

Also what about OSU? Due to a termanally ill parent have made a game all year? OSU didnt look bad on TV at kickoff. Just curious what you think.

6. 4th

4th 250+ Posts

I was standing in the student section on the east side today. On a few occasions I would look at the student sections in the south end zone and northeast corner, then at the alumni section on the west side, then at the student sections, then at the alumni sections...

Not much difference except the students were at least standing up and occasionally making noise. It was equally easy to tell the student and main alumni sections from the single game tickets and the boundaries were clearly defined, but I don't think the old folks ever got off of their asses or opened their mouths once. You can whine about the students all you want, but maybe the alumni should set a better example.

At least the students show up for "big games" while the west side always has noticeable empty seats.

7. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

they all went over to erwin to watch basketball, but oh yah, students arent allowed to watch basketball because the super loud alumni need those seats.

8. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

you have to admit that 6th street has been a little more exciting this year.

9. homerX

homerX 100+ Posts

Saw a lot of empty chair backs on my TV screen.

They never did announce the attendance... did it 'sell out' like usual?

10. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Have you seen the UT student population recently? It is a very different campus these days. Anyway, non-conference games in late November are silly. I was there primarily because I paid a lot of money for those seats and could not sell them for anything close to what I paid.

11. texascoder

texascoder 1,000+ Posts

Ah, excellent... another in a series of weekly threads complaining about fan attendance and participation during the previous game. News flash: when the team isn't doing very well, and especially with a **** non-conference team like FAU coming in late in the season, some fans will find that they have something more important to do. Do you somehow think UT is unique in that regard?

12. utstudboy

utstudboy 250+ Posts

You live in Austin - near or on campus - get to the game. He corner of the end zone was completely empty

13. texascoder

texascoder 1,000+ Posts

I agree... I do live in the Austin area and I was at the game [​IMG]

14. 4th

4th 250+ Posts

15. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

I'd rather have a small crowd with a lot of enthusiasm like we had for FAU than and packed house full of turds

16. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

I rather have a winning team playing a quality opponent.

17. halsteadfrost

halsteadfrost 1,000+ Posts

I guess some of you claim to also have been at the game, so I won't argue too hard...

But, IMO, the student section was a *lot* more empty than the alumni section. Perhaps the seats on the west side make it seem more full than it actually is, but I know for a fact that there were more people actually sitting around me (in the NEZ) than in any group in the student section.

Honestly I haven't seen the students show up since the Iowa St. game, which I attributed to it being a morning game, but this game was far worse.

18. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

19. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

This was a different crowd. There were a lot of folks, you could tell, that were at their first game in a long time. They were standing, yelling, taking pictures. It was actually pretty fun. Reminded me of the crowd for the BCS Championship Homecomming event.

20. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

We live in Texas, the land of the free market. Money follows value.

21. nra1775

nra1775 250+ Posts

22. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

In reply to:

23. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

24. nra1775

nra1775 250+ Posts

25. Tan Ted Deki

Tan Ted Deki 500+ Posts

i was there. student section was definitely most empty section. i'm not damning anyone. i think this back-and-forth is pretty stupid. but it is a fact that that was the most empty section.

regardless, the stadium started the game with the lowest percentage of seats filled that I've ever seen and I've been to almost every home game since 1995.

There are more seats to fill now for sure but percentage-wise I've never seen it that empty.

I bet there was 60-65k there by mid-way thru first quarter and that was the max.

26. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

I attended UT from 1983 to 1989. That was the front end of a prolonged period of bad football here. After my freshman year when we went 11-1, the Horns were a combined 36-32-1. There were 3 losing seasons in there, two consecutive in '88 & '89. Not one time did the student section ever look anything like that photo at kickoff, or 10 or 15 minutes before it. Actually, it was always pretty much packed.

Also, regarding standing vs sitting...I'll stand or sit. Doesn't really matter to me, and I make noise with the best noisemakers, but I've never been able to understand why it's a particularly better practice for the fans to stand than to sit.

I guess I understand why some get upset about fans not wanting to make noise, but why do people get bent out of shape about people sitting in seats they paid to sit in to watch a game they paid to watch?

27. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

The two things about Texas football and this site that bug me most are:: 1. the fans who think we will win every game and are unwilling to evaluate our coaches and program in a realistic manner (with the intention of improving it.

2. Fans who complain when seats are empty or we don't up enough.

I payed for the ticket. It's my entertainment dollars. Let me enjoy it my way.

And, we should not have to lose to anyone for that demi-god Mack to make the necessary changes.

28. utstudboy

utstudboy 250+ Posts

I am just saying you make the school look bad.

You are a damn student - what else do you have to do.....you don't have kids or work - just school

29. UTBob92

UTBob92 < 25 Posts

My bud and I have shared season-tix for a while now, we were both students at UT in the 87-92 period, regularly attended games before, during and after, and we were there yesterday with another bud with the same pedigree. So when I (and my buds and the other people here) say that the student sections (on the east side as well as the SEZ) were noticeably emptier than us alumni, believe it to be true. We were wondering if there had been some sort of student-boycott announced to "protest" this season - we even grabbed a Daily Pravda on the way back to the car to see. That picture posted from the NEZ is spot-on, dead-ball-to-center accurate.

Bottom line: you students have better seats to these games than a whole lot of people who pay substantially more money for their seats. Hey, membership has its privileges, and getting into the games at less expense is one of them. More power to you - I know I enjoyed the privilege immensely while in school. But don't begin to tell us that you guys are given the worst seats in the house.

That said, if you (as a student) feel the seats you are afforded are not good seats or otherwise not worth your time to go to the game, then my vote is that we put students back in those seats who do care: the University of Texas Longhorn Band. Putting them in the SEZ, where none of us can hear them well and where they are effectively out of the game, is one of the single-worst decisions going for the current powers-that-be. The members of the LHB have dedicated their 4 years to supporting the Horns - they deserve those seats more than the students like some who post here, who either feel like the seats are beneath them or the game is not worth their attention.

30. nra1775

nra1775 250+ Posts