UT vs #3UNC

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by txlandagent, Dec 11, 2015.

1. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Shaka Smart era has begun.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

3. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

SHAKA SMART AND THESE HORNS HAVE JUST BEGUN A NEW ERA!!!!

(not overreacting am I :smile1:) :coolnana::yippee:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

5. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

Allowed to after a win like that!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  8. scottsp

scottsp 100+ Posts

That was a good win, not just because it was a W over the #3 team. With the exception of what we put out there from the foul line, this game was played at a pretty high level.

Both teams took care of the ball. Texas limited one of the better rebounding teams in the country. It wasn't one of those sloppy brickfests that was won because Carolina wasn't on their game. You can see why the Tarheels are so highly regarded, and I thought they played well, too.

I love how we matched big shot with big shot, mixed in with the occasional defensive play. That was big-boy basketball on display. Really solid win there.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Football had 9 OVs at this game
    and
    BBall had elite 2016 SG Andrew Jones at the game

• Like Like x 1
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

1st home win over AP-ranked Top-5 team since Feb. 2009 (vs No. 2 ou)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  12. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

I like the pace the Horns played at today. I thought in earlier games they were trying to play to fast and got out of control and had way to many turnovers. This game they played at a solid pace and played much better on both ends of the court. Carolina played well, horns just hit the last shot. Solid win that was not a fluke.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  14. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Excellent win! Nice to be able to say we own North Carolina in basketball going 7-3 in the last 10 matchups.

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Believe it or not, we are now 7-3 all-time vs North Carolina
    and
    Coming into this game, UNC was #1 in RPI

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

@Joe Fan is BRINGING IT tonight :smile1:

Big win, caught the end on the radio while I was driving.

Anyone else have a healthy man-crush on Shaka? Me neither, I was just wondering. Dude stop looking at me like that.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

Good crowd tonight as well. Maybe karma has turned just a little for men's big three sports. Gotta start somewhere

• Like Like x 1
  19. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Lammert freakin' annihilated #5 on that final shot.

Looking back at the 1998-99 season, I'm not sure Barnes even had a "signature" win. We beat Baylor on the road to secure the regular season conference championship, but Baylor was awful that year. Erwin got super loud for A&M, OK State, and OU, but none of those games were against opponents who did anything special in the rankings or postseason.

The wins over Michigan State in Puerto Rico and KU at home in 2000 were pretty badass though. I'll never forget how awesome Mihm played in those games.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  21. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

22. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, they have been playing new players in a new system. And that looks, and is, sort of chaotic at times. Its not easy to watch a team jell, because of that steep learning curve.

But its nice, really nice, to see the fruits of letting kids play through mistakes, learn from them, and gain the courage and confidence it takes to perform on the big stage. I think we saw the very early signs of what this team might be able to accomplish. I still can't believe they played so well, with so much poise, against one of the best teams in the country. And make no mistake, UNC played well tonight. As was said earlier, this win was no fluke.

Like one of the announcers said though, the B12 is so tough that Texas could play really well and still not have a solid ticket into the Big Dance. Three teams now in the top 10, and a few more likely lurking in the top 25. I think we do make the Tourney. Its gonna be an exciting season. :hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
  23. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

You picked a great game to take the kids to. Awesome!!!

• Like Like x 1
  24. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Wow, where to even start. What a fantastic game, not just because it ended well. I thought it was a really well played game. We beat a seriously good team tonight - I mean we made a mistake and they stuck a dagger in us every time. But talk about a team that stepped up tonight. Rebounding was great, you get Taylor who rolls out a three-point shot, Felix who just played the game of his life, Ridley absolutely showed up and played like a big-time player against other big-time players, and guys up and down the lineup that played smart, controlled basketball and showed that this team is absolutely capable of beating anybody.

About four minutes to play I was thinking that I'd settled for just wanting a fun, enjoyable game and wanting the guys to show improvement. But at that point, I realized they had played too well to not get a win. That's the kind of effort that need to get rewarded to build a season, and wow, did it ever tonight.

Cannot say how impressed I was by the guys tonight. :hookem:

• Like Like x 2
  25. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

+1. Felix was crazy, I heard that he's 3-0 against UNC. Shaka was fired up.

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  27. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Holy crap we were lucky that wasn't call. Which one of you guys paid the refs to look away while that was happening?

• Like Like x 1
  28. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Not sure how Lammert got away with that. It was blatant, but even so it didn't alter the outcome because #5 wasn't in position to snag the rebound, given the angle and speed it departed from the rim.

• Like Like x 1
  29. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I think it was one of those "it's the last play, shot is up, nothing's going to get called at this point." For right or wrong, most officials do NOT want to decide a game in the last 5 seconds of the game. In this case, it was for right :D

• Like Like x 1
  30. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Actually the NC player #11 Brice, may be who made contact with #5 first, who is their star guard Paige. Notice how he extends his elbow.

At the very least, he also makes contact on Paige. No way Paige could have got out on Felix, like this guy suggests though. The rebound was well over his head.

• Like Like x 1