UT vs OKState game 2

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by WCBBNUT, Feb 9, 2021.

1. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Here comes the sun doo da doo do
    Here comes the sun, and I say
    It's all right

Sun, sun, sun, here it comes

The game will be on LHN at 7 central.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Last meeting in Stillwater in addition to our defense breaking down we shot 28% from the floor, 26% from behind the arc, and only shot 11 free throws. Some, if not all, of that will need to change significantly this time around if we're going to compete.

We got "outrebounded" so to speak, but when your opponent misses 25 shots and you miss 47 they've got a lot more opportunities to rebound.

I tend to pay more attention to offensive rebounds and we won that 16-9. But then again, when you're missing from point blank range and grabbing your own miss those numbers can be skewed as well.

Hopefully we'll have a better effort tonight.
    :hookem2:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  3. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

We're getting great looks but just not finishing. Collier needs to continue to attack Mack in the paint because they aren't double teaming her so far.

4. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Shooting woes. Need to cut down on the turnovers. Let’s go Horns!

5. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Charli one rebound shy of double double at half. Much better second quarter. Texas cut down the turnovers. Texas also has rebounding edge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Love me some Charli.

Charli 20 points
    The other team 17 points

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Celeste having a good offensive game. :hookem:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Very Larry Birdish of her

• Like Like x 4
  9. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Ok, be truthful...who saw this coming? :yippee::yippee::bevo:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

The sun is always shining in my world

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

But 20 turnovers. Not good.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

So frustrating! :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

• Strange game strategy by both coaches. It's like Vic said, "Okay we won't do full court pressure" and then Littell said, "Why thank you. In turn we won't try offensive rebounding"
    • But after Texas sank a 3 with 6 minutes to go in the second, Littell called time and then LIT into his team. He was so mad he was swinging his arms in the circle that the team had formed around him. Without normal crowd noise you could hear his roaring
    • Also with the quietness, you could hear an OSU-mama continuing to criticize a foul she believed her team didn't deserve. It was funny.
    • How did Mack receive a cut to her face while smacking Joanne on the face with her hand?
    • It was one of those ref crews that are big on calling traveling. Some were valid, but some were ??? calls on Charli
    • But some of those passes by the guards - cover my eyes!
    • Audrey is flopping less to preserve her health, but man she just contributes so much to defense. Poking and jabbing at the ball. Celeste too. They're the two best nag-type defenders
    • Coach Johnnie really coached up Charli for tonight. The best rebounding I've seen her all season, the most confidence and patience as she worked towards her shot near the bucket. And the outright blocks? Whew!
    • Littell's body language showed he sorta gave up near the end of the 2nd quarter. And it carried on into the 3rd quarter as well
    • Ebo's endurance growing. Doesn't score much but does affect the action under the bucket
    • Twice at various times I looked up at the scoreboard and thought to myself, "Hunh. Charli has more points herself than OSU. Just wow"

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Good observations, racer. I was happy to see us not give away a bunch of transition baskets by running a full court press. I hope this was not a one game aberration.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I have to disagree with the travels. Every one I called the same time as the refs. Of course I also called a couple on OSU that were not called. And Charli still tries to be a ball handler around the basket when she's not.

Texas played good for 3 qtrs, but lost the 4th 20-10. Vic needs to light into them about that. Lack of hustle back down the court and sloppy turnovers. What if Mack had played the whole game?

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Post game presser.

17. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Overall I believe it was a great game. Collier really went to work and took advantage of Mack's absence. I was highly impressed with Celeste Taylor, she looked back to her normal self in that game and her defense was great. As I said before, Texas needs to lay off the pressure full court defense and focus more on half court defense and look at the result when they did. One of the best defensive performances of the year besides the sloppy 4th quarter.

I personally believe that lineup with Allen-Taylor, Taylor, Warren, Ebo, and Collier is the best lineup we have and deserves to be the starting lineup especially against Baylor because the matchups are perfect with Baylor’s starting lineup. Ebo is the best we have on the team with help side defense and I think we are slowly but surely beginning to understand it and our "help the helper" needs improvement. It happened once in Warren got a steal from it. I think this team is trending in the right direction and Vic is really starting to use his personnel and really make the best out of them.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Thatnis a lineup that probably matches up with Baylor best inside... However the dilemma is that it includes no true PG.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. airtightskipole

airtightskipole 25+ Posts

Not a fan of the fake crowd noise that they decided to start piping in over the speakers. It’s really too loud and only sounds like constant white noise.
    We didn’t have this before the no attendance break.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Agreed. It's very irritating.

21. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

It’s for the players to give them a sense of fans in the arena, and since they have given up SO MUCH to make this season work, it’s the least we can deal with...JMHO...

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  22. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I get that... but I think the point (at least my point anyway) is that it doesn't come across as a realistic noise level, not on TV anyway. Perhaps it's better in person. I wouldn't know, I'm not able to attend.

• Like Like x 1
  23. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Actually it’s for TV production value which means it’s really more for the fans. It’s more audible on TV than in person. But it’s annoying in person too.

• Like Like x 2