UTEP up on 0u

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Horn2Run, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

blocked punt, 7-0...this after a missed Miner FG [​IMG]

2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

What channel?

3. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

FOXSW and about all the FOX sports channels (DTV has about 35 of them)

4. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

that didn't take long......landry has 6-7 seconds in the pocket, long td...tie game

but the 1rst ou possesion was snuffed....might be a decent game here

5. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

7-7 after a quarter of play...0u= 3 possesions, Punted twice, one long td pass....UTEP with the ball @ their own 15 to start the 2nd

6. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

OU's o line is not that good. Lots of hurried throws. Too many drops when he does get a pocket. Price has his team ready to play.

7. tholly

tholly 1,000+ Posts

UTEP played us tough for a half against us back in 09 (?) in ElPaso. I'd expect ou to pull away in 2nd...

8. catfishhorn

catfishhorn 100+ Posts

BlowU Oline is being dominated.

9. Bveaux

Bveaux 25+ Posts

UTEP with 2 sacks on this drive. Deep in the second and it is a tied game!! Missed an easy FG or they'd be up again! GO Miners 0U SUCKS!!!!

10. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

UTEP has missed two FGs or they would be up. They are playing really well. Sooner o-line does not look very good. Jones has been sacked a couple times.

Sooner FG just blocked as I type this.

11. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

OU looks bad. And I'm not just saying that because I ******* hate them.

They're out of sorts. I know when we went to El Paso we had rough footing in the first half, but the Sooners seems downright bad. I know they'll still win this game, but they sure as hell don't look like the #4 team in the country.

12. biganakhanhda

biganakhanhda 500+ Posts

Seeing two Stoops on the sideline bitching and whining this season will be fun to watch.

Go Miners!

13. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

Ha Ha. Metoyer out of bounds. Then a delay of game for 3rd & 11. Stoops is going to throw something before this is over.

14. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Metoyer looks like a friggin beast. With the right coaching and someone helping to keep his head on straight, he'll be right up there with the likes of Blackmon in a year or two.

15. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

16. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

Landry Jones might have flushed MILLIONS down the toilet. Hate to say I told you so....Wait! I actually enjoy saying it [​IMG]

17. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Bama would totally crush anyone in the Big 12. I hate it, but damn, their O line is friggin awesome. They graduate Richardson and still average 5.5 yds/carry against a decent opponent.

18. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

The final score was definitely not an indication of how close this game was. I just can't figure out if this is sign for OU's season being this bad or not.

On the one hand, pretty anything that wasn't in OU's direct control happened to go their way. Seriously, OU is getting every single break:
    -3 missed FGs by UTEP, all from short/medium range
    -3 fumbles by OU players, and all 3 bounced straight out of bounds
    -UTEPs most talented (by far) player misses almost the whole 2nd half with injury
    -Horrible decision on that fake punt (ok, OU did have some control over this, but 120 other D1A teams could have stopped a slow-developing upback run right at the defense's strength on 4th and 8.)
    -UTEP WR drops a perfectly-thrown 50 yard bomb

On the other hand, there is more parity than ever in college football, and there are no exhibition games, so lots of teams struggle in game 1 vs inferior opponents. And we've seen this from OU before - remember back when they needed some major home cooking to keep Alabama-Birmingham from taking them to OT in Norman, and then went on to win the conference? So it's not like their season is in the toilet just yet.

19. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

20. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

michigan is definitely overrated, as is denard robinson.

but bama looked really really good. they definitely looked better than any other team playing yesterday.

21. dangdirtysooner

dangdirtysooner 250+ Posts

Yep. OU sucked last night. Not sure if it was first game rust, playing in the middle of the night, or if this is just how it's going to be this year.

I expected to have O-Line & D-Line issues this year (especially D-Line), but the total discombobulation of the offense was just shocking to me. Though I will say all of the stoppages for reviews, penalties and all the Miners that had to be helped off the field due to cramping, hurt OU's ability to get into a rhythm.

But as someone else pointed out, OU has looked like crap in openers before & went on to have fine seasons:

- 2002: Up 3-0 at Haltime against an awful Tulsa team that eventually went 1-11.

- 2006: a 24-17 win over an eventual 3-9 UAB team. Game was in Norman.

- 2010: 31-24 win over an eventual 4-8 Utah State team. Game in Norman.

Those were all Big XII Championship teams, 2 of which eventually won their BCS Bowl games.

So all is not lost just yet. Though, to be completely honest, I have been predicting a 3 loss season since the spring. I may now change that to 4 losses. Even though there is talent and potential here, I'm ust not optimistic about this squad. Can't have a great team without great lines.

22. Alex_de_Large

Alex_de_Large 1,000+ Posts

Too bad Nathan Jeffries cramped up. Remember he set the High school scoring record the week before Traylon Shead broke it.

23. baoklhorn

baoklhorn 1,000+ Posts

Horns 11

I sure hope you are wrong about him. They just rave about the guys hands up here. They make him sound like his fingers are nine inches long.

We don't need that kinda problem.

24. Stormspencer

Stormspencer 100+ Posts

ddsooner, the issue that concerns me the most is that it appears there has been absolutely no new wrinkles or adjustments to compensate for the loss of Broyles. The only exception being that we've moved Stills to the slot at times. However, this looks like virually the same offense as the end of last year...with a worse offensive line.

It appears that our defense is going to have to be a more significant factor in winning games this season....rather than just outscoring opponents as in recent years. The good news is that the secondary covered/played well, but we need McGhee and Walker back ASAP to help containment in the interior front. I was encouraged to NOT see defenders throwing up their hands and gazing at the sideline appx 1-2 seconds before the ball was snapped....as we had become accustomed to in recent years. I think Mike Stoops simplification has noticeably helped already, but we don't have the horses in the front 7 to be a great defense. If we end up being a very good defense, I will be more than satisfied.

As you mentioned, we have gotten off to lackluster starts before and then "righted" the ship to have successful seasons....so I'm not going to press the panic button yet. However, I would be lying if I said I wasn't disturbed at a couple of trends/bad habits regarding the offense that don't seem to be getting resolved quickly enough.

25. dangdirtysooner

dangdirtysooner 250+ Posts