Valentine's Day ... Ugh.

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by Barton Hills, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Barton Hills

Barton Hills 1,000+ Posts

So the shittiest day of the year is quickly approaching. I've got nothing. Haven't even thought about a present yet for the wife.

As a young couple money ain't always flowing, and we do have a few trips planned for the next few months ... so I was thinking that this year I'd go the simple route. Instead of buying $75 flowers that will die in 3 days + crappy chocolate she doesn't want + jewelry she doesn't need, this is my idea :

Nice dinner
    Card
    Couple hundy inside so that she can treat herself to some shopping

Just yesterday she was saying she needs to get some new clothes.

Any way this idea blows up in my face ? The wife usually is cool with any present, so I should be OK. Making sure it just wasn't too lazy/"not enough" from me.

Thoughts ?

F Valentine's Day.

2. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

Cash? I guess it depends on what type of woman your wife is. Many women would not appreciate cash because it doesn't involve thought.

3. WhoseHouse

WhoseHouse 250+ Posts

Add a potted orchid... they're like $20 and last longer than fresh cut flowers and I don't know any female that doesn't love an orchid. I don't know if you are in the Houston area but the Krogers around here have TONS of them.
    Since you don't really have to make any "effort" to get a card and put cash in it, going to the store/flower shop and getting a plant makes up for any potentially perceived laziness in your idea.

4. Barton Hills

That was my initial thought ... but after thinking twice, I think I could get away with it.

She's not overly enthused about Valentine's Day either, so hopefully she'll see the cash as free reign to buy what she wants.

That has to be better than some "spa day" present, or a necklace she probably won't wear.

5. WhoseHouse

WhoseHouse 250+ Posts

Maybe you could at least get the cash put on some type of pre-paid Visa or something (they probably have a "valentine's day" edition) so it's not so much like you were like "Oh ****, it's the 13th", fished around in your pocket, and stuck some cash in a card.

6. Barton Hills

Wouldn't nice, crisp hundy's also cancel the thought that I pulled a last second idea out of my pocket ?

[​IMG]

Valentine's pre-paid card is a good idea too though.

7. Eastwood22

Eastwood22 250+ Posts

Holy crap... 3 days and it has totally slipped my mind. [​IMG]

Take her for a picnic in McKinney Falls. There is an awesome area in the west side of the park where there is basically a huge slab of rock that overlooks some falls and a small river. A little bit of a hike, but worth it. Cost of admission and picnic supplies should be under $30.

8. Barton Hills

It's not about saving money ... it's about not wasting it on dumb **** she doesn't need just so I appear to be romantic.

9. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

Are there guys out there that actually enjoy Valentine's Day? Its like cruel and unusual punishment.

10. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

i don't mind valentine's day. my wife doesn't give a **** about flowers or cards or gifts. she just wants to have a decent dinner and some time alone. i can dig that.

11. crayon1973

crayon1973 500+ Posts

chicks hate cash... go to Nordstroms and have the salesgirl pick out some shoes for your wife. Take credit for picking them out. All women have a weakness for shoes.

12. SubliminalHorn

SubliminalHorn 500+ Posts

As Elaine once said from Seinfeld, "Cash? What are you, my uncle?"

13. Barton Hills

Thanks to all for ruining my good idea.

[​IMG]

Maybe I'll name a star after her instead.

[​IMG]

14. Sneezy

Sneezy 25+ Posts

15. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

Valentine's Day is for people that are still courting.

Once you are married you should not have to do anything.

My wife and I have been together for 25 years and she could care less about it.
    You guys need to start grooming your wife to do the same.
    Especially if you have been together more than a few years.

16. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

Instead of the cash, just promise to take her shopping. She'll appreciate the effort as you are schlepping bags through the mall, and waiting for her to try on 50 things.

17. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

18. Barton Hills

Amen Hayden ...

19. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

20. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Obligatory candlesticks post.

21. Horneius_Maximus

Horneius_Maximus 250+ Posts

Boycott Valentine's day.

22. AstroVol

AstroVol 500+ Posts

My wife had her heart broken on Valentine's Day when she was in junior high school, so she hates it, not to mention that my birthday is two days before Valentine's Day.

Therefore, we do not really celebrate Valentine's Day, except maybe going out to dinner, but no corny exchanging of gifts.

Reason #56,759 why my wife is the perfect woman.

23. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

If you want to enjoy a romantic dinner for Valentine's Day, see if you can talk her into celebrating the occasion a day or two before or after the actual day. This is one of the busiest days of the year for restaurants and it will be very difficult to get good service and not have to wait two hours to get in.
    Or get her some diamonds so you won't have to sleep on the couch, like the radio ad says.

24. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

Im amazed at the number of people that still dont see v-day for what it is. Its just a giant marketing opportunity to tell guys that if they dont spend tons of money they will be sleeping on the couch. I actually heard that one on the way home from work today. I will be making dinner and I might buy some flowers. If your woman insists on you spending a large amount of money for a made up marketing opportunity - find a new woman. [​IMG]

25. westptx

westptx 100+ Posts

i hate this time of year...not only did I just recover from all of the Xmas stuff...but I have V-Day and then her b-day two days later...just to top it off. The nice thing is that the anniversary isn't until November.

26. LongIslandIceSIP

LongIslandIceSIP 500+ Posts

one of my chicks gets to have me over for dinner, so she'll make dinner for me, I'll bring the wine, and that is a good valentines day for her.

my other chick, I had to tell that I was going to be out of town, so for her I sent her flowers and a teddy bear to her house, and she gets to spend the weekend with me.

I don't really get why y'all are complaining.

27. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

28. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

29. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

I'll be watching Survivor and packing for Daytona. [​IMG]

30. Horneius_Maximus

Horneius_Maximus 250+ Posts

We would not need to worry about this **** if we lived in Saudi Arabia
    The Link