Vegetable Dishes

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by georgecostanza, Feb 19, 2013.

1. georgecostanza

georgecostanza NBHorn7’s Protégé

In recent years, my dad is the one that cooks the most at my house, but the man has never been incredibly fond of preparing vegetables. He's never been a big veggie eater, so whenever he finds a veggie dish he does like, he tends to make it over and over again until everyone gets sick of it.

Anyone have any suggestions of something simple and not too exotic for us to try? I plan on introducing new veggie side dishes on the nights that I cook.

2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I’m probably a total simpleton here but my favorite veggie dishes are just fresh steamed ones: broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, spinach, cabbage. A little salt and pepper, maybe some garlic butter — divine!

That may not be what you’re looking for but these are super simple to do and delicious. I'm sure there are some really good things you can do with brown rice as well, and probably a hundred good potato recipes.

Good luck Chef George!

3. Bye Week

Bye Week 250+ Posts

I agree with Dionysus, but if you want to fancy it up a bit (and get people who aren't usually into to veggies to eat them) I would suggest adding meat and/or cheese to the mix. One great way to make asparagus is to put 4-5 pieces side by side, microwave a piece of bacon for a minute or so to partially cook it, wrap the asparagus with the bacon, skewer through the bacon and asparagus and grill until the bacon is crisp and the asparagus is cooked. Another favorite is grilling corn, removing the corn from the cob, and mixing that with cream cheese and green chilis on the stove until fully gooey/cooked. Good times.

4. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

5. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

Sesame Kale Salad

[​IMG]

6. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Roasted Garbanzo Beans. They are delicious esp. for a snack. I have a convection oven and use 325 degrees. Here is a recipe close to what I do and it saves me typing. They are flat out delicious and crunchy.

Roasted Banzo's

7. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Make a variation of Pico de Gallo. Include spinach leaves, bits of asparagus and maybe some fine chopped broc and bell peppers. But use the red, orange and yellow type for color and sweeter flavor.

Add your onions, jalapeno or other pepper, lemon/lime and there you have it. Oh, cilantro too, duh. For further variation, blend it to make a fresh salsa to put on top of food. Be minimal with the salt and sometimes roast some fresh garlic. Maybe put in some turmeric or actual curry. Lots of variations but still veggies being consumed.

How about refried black beans in a healthy way? Take either canned (wash salt off if need be or better yet, find a no salt added brand...add later if you want but that way you control how much) or make 'em fresh. Put into a blender and use the liquid from the can or what cooked off the beans. It's better to use too little and add.

Blend in blender till you get a nice consistency. Take some onions and maybe some garlic/spices and saute in olive oil in a pan/pot. When they are golden you add the bean paste mixture and fry up. You can put this on top of rice, quinoa, meat or anything you want. Toss some of that pico or salsa you made for more veggie impact. It's delicious and if you throw on cheese you are a hero.

Also make for good corn tacos.

8. georgecostanza

9. georgecostanza

l00p, your Garbanzo link doesn't work.

10. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

It didn't work for me either when I just checked. It gave me an option to try another link and it worked so hopefully this one does for you as well. I made some up on Friday and nibbled them like they were Corn Nuts.

Banzo's Try 2

11. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

12. georgecostanza

Tried the zucchini fritters. Damn, they're good.

13. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

georgecostanza,

Glad to hear that you liked them.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with your initial foray with kale. I'll think you will like that recipe. I brought some to a work lunch potluck and had four people ask me for the recipe.

14. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke 500+ Posts

I do this a lot, especially for the finicky who don't like veggies, 'cus everyone loves a twice-baked tater:

Sauté a melange of small-cubed veggies like zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, mushrooms, tomato even some chopped spinach, broccoli and Brussels sprouts with onion/celery/bell pepper until soft but not cooked to mush necessarily, in a little oil and butter.

Bake a large potato until soft enough to spoon out the meat and place in a large mixing bowl and mash.

Add the veg mixture and fold in some butter and a little sour creme, or better for you yet, plain Greek yogurt. Add s&p to taste.

Spoon back into the reserved potato skins and top with a little shredded cheese of your choice.

Place in in oven-proof dish and bake at 375 for about 20-25 mins.

I guarantee, if you use a little imagination w/ the veggie combo/s and your favorite herbs, these will be the best "Twice Baked Potatoes" you'll ever have and a great way to sneak in some "good-4-u" vegetables to those that think they won't eat anything that doesn't have a mother.