Venezuela

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by TheBrit, Dec 6, 2006.

1. TheBrit

TheBrit 25+ Posts

Heading down there just before New Year for a 10 day trip.

Looking to hit up Angel Falls and Los Roques.
    Is it easiest to stay in Ciudad Bolivar and try to get a trip from there to the falls.
    Any tips on airlines to fly internally?
    Tips on accomodation/restarants/tour companies....

Caracas - any recs some great local places to eat in the Las Mercedes place?

Cheers

2. HornInDub

HornInDub 100+ Posts

You'll need to get to fly into Canaima ultimately to see the falls. If I remember correctly, we had to fly from Caracas to Cuidad Bolivar then we walked to the bus station to get to Ciudad Guayana. Once in Ciudad Guayana we booked our entire trip -- we flew out the next day to Canaima, did a 2 night trip to Salto Angel (normally you have to do a 3 day I believe). Was really amazing. Slept out in hammocks right by the river -- no mosquitos thanks to the tannins in the trees. Then we flew to the southwest corner to a town I believe was called San Diego to start our trek of Mt Roraima (5 days)

For flights, we flew into Caracas, arriving late. No way were we going to take a taxi to town for the night (too dangerous), so we slept in the international terminal (supposedly safer to sleep in than the domestic terminal as only international passangers have access to it). The next morning we walked counter to counter to try to find the earliest flight to Ciudad Bolivar - it was pretty inexpensive.

If you book your entire tour w/ one agent in Caracas they will handle all of your internal flights. We made it to Ciudad Guayana and used a tour operator recommended in the Lonely Planet guide, and they took care of the rest of our internal flights. So that part is easy. When we went (1999) it was much easier to book the tour while there (and way cheaper). Back then it may have been difficult to get lodging and a flight into Canaima as it seemed all flights and lodging were dominated by the tour companies.

3. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

I was in Caracas for a weekend and stayed at either the Sheraton or Marriott beach resort (not sure which one). I do remember that it was very near a really bad part of the city. From what I recall, Venezuela doesn't really have a middle class. However this was 10+ years ago and I am not sure how things have changed.

4. HornInDub

HornInDub 100+ Posts

also wanted to mention that the road from the Caracas airport into town is very dangerous -- we've been receiving travel warnings for over a year about that stretch of road. So if you do go into town, make sure you book with a reputable car company or at least investigate the situation before you go...Good Luck

5. LonghornLawyer

LonghornLawyer 500+ Posts

6. HornInDub

HornInDub 100+ Posts

Having said all that, I loved my trip to Venezuela. The key is to just get out of Caracas as soon as possible. Like the state dept warning mentions, fly in during daylight if you can. And I'll add on to that by saying try to fly out 3-4 hours after you arrive so you can spend your first night outside of Caracas...

7. RunTex

RunTex 25+ Posts

HorninDub?

Did you happen to go with a friend and his brother down there and are you recently engaged?

8. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

All fair warnings, but don't let them put you off. I read all the State Dept. warnings prior to my trip to C. America and it made me really think twice. Of course, when we got there it was nowhere near as bad as what they said, although you never know. We did get mugged once, but it wasn't really that big of a deal.

I'm trying to make it to Venezuela this summer to see the U.S soccer team in the Copa America. I just hope that there aren't any games in Caracas, as I really want to avoid going into the city. I've never heard anything about the city except that it's incredibly dangerous.

9. LonghornLawyer

LonghornLawyer 500+ Posts

DHH's post is the single most confusing, self-contradictory post I have ever seen on this board.

Central America was "nowhere near as bad as what they said" . . . but "we did get mugged."

"Don't let them put you off" . . . but "I've never heard anything about the city except that it's incredibly dangerous."

No offense, DHH, but it just strikes me as funny.

10. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

Hahaha. Sorry about that.

I guess my point is that the State Dept. warnings make most places sound like you will get murdered if you go there. I was scared shitless before going to C. America, and it was in our last week there (after four months of travel) that we had a purse stolen from my girlfriend's friend. We had roamed all over the "very dangerous" cities - Guatemala City, Teguciagulpa, Managua, etc. without any problems at all. We essentially let our guard down, and after going to the Panamanian soccer championship, we got some stuff stolen by some drunk teenagers.

I didn't want to make it seem like travel throughout Latin America is all peaches and cream - **** does happen. But the vast, vast majority of travelers have few, if any, problems.

Those State Dept. warnings are there so that if you do run into trouble, you can't say you weren't warned. But I would take them with a grain of salt.

11. RunTex

RunTex 25+ Posts

Pertaining to Caracas-
    the nicer hotels will pick you up from the airport and get you to the hotel without incident. Try the Tamanaco Intercontinental, nice hotel and in a nice neighborhood.
    Hire a driver too and you will likely be ok unless you totally avoid all locals advice. The hotel folks will do everything possible to keep you from getting mugged- listen to them.

In my experience there are areas in every country in Latin America where your probability of having your bag stolen or light crime is exaserbated tremendously. I travel often down there and consider myself a savy traveler but once every 5 or 6 trips I always get something stolen and its always when you least expect it. Most recently my briefcase was stolen while I was standing at the concierge desk at the JW in Lima at 7am. It just dissapeared from my feet, no one saw it happen and they were very accomodating but literally no one saw it happen. Quite honestly, I have never even read the State Department warnings and my pops works for the DOD.

12. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

Be sure to kick Chavez in the nuts while you'r down there.

13. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

Ok, so it sounds like Venezuela is a go for me this summer. Some people are talking about renting a car and driving around - we're going to watch the US play in Copa America and we'll have to get around between Maracaibo, Barinas, and Barquisimiento (and possibly more).

Normally I'd gladly take buses everywhere we go, but I've heard it will be difficult with the swell of tourism for Copa America. Plus, we'll have some expensive production equipment with us, and I'd rather not load that onto buses.

Anyone ever driven around Venezuela (or anywhere in S. America, really). I think it would be somewhat safe in the more rural areas, though Maracaibo is not exactly rural.

Terrible idea or fun adventure? Or both?

14. hornimal

hornimal 500+ Posts

certain areas of caracas are dangerous. the rest of the country not so much.

I'll also be attending the copa america.

send me some PMs about venezuela, I know the country really really well.