Very Good Article

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by overseasbbfan1, Nov 26, 2016.

1. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

I think the following is one of the better articles I've seen on the team, in terms of depicting where we're at, and highlighting both positives, as well as challenges. Essentially it notes that we lost three starters from last season, and four overall (since Brady started 2 of 4 years here), and that of the current starting lineup, 4 of 5 are playing new roles in the rotation. But it also makes clear just how much talent is on this roster, and the real point of the story is the importance of facing five top ranked programs in the span of four weeks. It's interesting because I was just talking with someone about this a few days ago. On the one hand, a few might think facing that level of competition, and such a large number of tough opponents so close together early on, is a bit ambitious, in particular if we end up on the losing end of most of the contests. But I think the tough early schedule is an incredible thing, and just what the team needs at this point. Regardless of what the W-L column looks like afterwards, and I am feeling good about the upcoming games, we know the Big 12 is ultimately where our fate will be determined. And it promises to be as brutal as ever. IMO having the team face all of these top programs, and players, in quick succession is going to make us a whole lot better a lot more quickly.

http://www.texassports.com/news/2016/11/24/womens-basketball-adjusting-to-new-roles-new-faces.aspx

• Like Like x 3
  2. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

I like this quote from Aston:

"What you see with these young players is remarkable improvement from game to game because we've gotten exposed," Aston said. "When that happens, it humbles you, it makes you start paying attention to detail a little bit more and I think you fix things a little quicker. They are a good, hard-working bunch that has inexperience in some areas."

• Like Like x 2
  3. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I was explaining to a long-term seat neighbor of mine at the game. I told her we're gonna get spanked pretty hard at the front end of the season because the team needs to see what it takes to play well at tournament time. The volleyball team does this to "toughen up" and have a high RPI (of course they win a lot of them too!). If you have to go up against Stanford, UConn, South Carolina...then it gets you better ready for Baylor. Beating Northwest State is like a dessert...nice but doesn't do much for your players mental training.

• Like Like x 2