Very portable but cheap laptop?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by RollingwoodHorn, Jul 29, 2006.

1. RollingwoodHorn

RollingwoodHorn 500+ Posts

I'm starting law school next month and looking for a new laptop to take to class, the library, etc. Any recommendations?

I've got a home computer so I really just need something small and light, with long battery life for taking to campus. I was looking at the Dell Inspiron E1405 that I can get for like $850 after my 30% off coupon. Anything else I should look at in the same price range?

2. rustjs1

rustjs1 100+ Posts

I'm looking for one as well and all I've heard is stay away from Dell lapttops. From what I understand, IBM is the best but pricey. That's as far as my research has gotten me. That's all I've got if that helps.

3. Dr Fear

Dr Fear 500+ Posts

Goto Best Buy. Buy Something Cheap. Double the Ram.

You dont need a power laptop for law school. You will, however, need a bunch memory in order to have your outline open in Word, internet browser to espn, multiple online games, and IM all at the same time.

4. Dr Fear

Dr Fear 500+ Posts

5. dendox

dendox 250+ Posts

I started law school with a Dell and it didn't last the three years. I went through 4 mother boards, three video cards, 7 or 8 power adapters, and a few different keyboards.

I bought a toshiba and it has been nothing but a pleasure. I bought a lot more computer than you are looking for, but I would advise you to seriously consider them.

6. CleverNickname

CleverNickname 500+ Posts

You have the right idea. Don't spend more than $1000. Laptops seldom physically hold up for 3 years, and even if it did, it would be a dinosour. Buy cheap & often. Backup your notes. Use gmail. This will make your life much saner.

7. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

8. Orange&White

Orange&White 1,000+ Posts

I needed a new laptop for nothing more than surfing and music. Last month I picked up an Acer for $400 ($549.99 - $150 MIR) at Circuit City.

Celeron M 1.4mhz
    256 mb RAM
    14.1" screen
    Video Accelerator
    40 GB HD

The hardware seems decent enough, but the plastic chassis doesn't seem like it will last very long. But at $400, I am not that woried about it.

9. Orange&White

Orange&White 1,000+ Posts

You won't find any cheaper than this.....

HP Presario V2000Z Customizable Notebook $280 at OfficeDepot.com Click Here Discuss (11) : History : Posted 8:25 AM PDT 07/30/06 by Ben In-store only with Configuration Code 02187895. OfficeDepot.com has the HP Presario V2000Z Customizable Notebook for $560 - $280 rebates = $280. Free All-in-One Printer included.

AMD Sempron 3100+, 14.0" WXGA, 256MB DDR, 40GB Drive, DVD/CD-RW Combo

10/100 + 56k,

10. santa

santa 25+ Posts

Dell has cheap refurbished laptops available online. I bought the Dell Inspiron 600m for about $1400 3 years ago for law school. It has always functioned well,is light, and easy to use. They are probably cheaper now.

11. Xminus6

Xminus6 500+ Posts

dells also seem to be bursting into flames at an alarming rate.

12. Does one have to pay more for the spontaneous fire option? Is this their "firewall"?

13. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

What kind of specs are considered mid to high right now?

RAM, screen size, processor, etc.

14. CumberlandBlues

CumberlandBlues 25+ Posts

my Dell's worked great since I bought it.

15. Bob Wills

Bob Wills 500+ Posts

Cheap is still cheap. Buy something durable and powerful that you can use for at least 2 years without complaining.

If you don't mind using Macs, the MacBook is a very nice laptop for around $1k. If you would rather stick to PCs, go for either a higher-end Dell or perhaps a Lenovo if you don't mind China's government logging all of your activity.

Yes, I was kidding about Lenovo...sort of

16. Bob Wills

Bob Wills 500+ Posts

17. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

treat any laptop, even in the case you use to transport it, like china and it will last. Drop your laptop in the case on the couch every day you get home, or intot he car seat every day after class and it will require multiple fixes in a short time.

Set it down carefully every time.
    The Link usually tells you the best deals running at the given day for dell deals. Compusa seems to be running some good deals lately too.

18. origino

origino 250+ Posts

i have never used one, but i vote for Acer too. i mean, if you know you dont want anything "special", i am sure this will work. i would just add some more memory and you are set for about $500.