Vic’s MSU Coaching Staff

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Apr 5, 2020.

1. LonghornsWBB

LonghornsWBB 25+ Posts

Jeff Walz and Nikki McCray are the two finalists, so welcome to Austin Johnnie Harris!

• Like Like x 8
  2. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I'm leaning more towards Nikki McCray. Not for any specific reason I just have a feeling she might get it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

She's from a town in Tennessee not that far from Starkville. Also, Walz may be reworking his contract at Louisville to get a significant boost in pay after the year of paycuts. I'm thinking Nikki McCray too...and it'll be a good fit I think.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Come on down Johnnie Harris.
    Hookem'

• Like Like x 1
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Looks like McCray will be named the new head coach at MSU tomorrow. I believe she is earning $250k at ODU. The number being mentioned for her salary at MSU is gonna be $750k.

So, all things being equal, Johnnie Harris (and Elena Lovato and Dionnah Jackson) would most likely receive a much better salary increase at Texas than by staying at MSU.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Carolyn Peck makes Johnnie coming to Austin sound like a certainty...

• Like Like x 7
  7. HnH

HnH 100+ Posts

McCray is not a done deal yet. Apparently MSU tried to put in an SEC non-compete clause and McCray is not having it. Basically trying to block her from taking the Tennessee job should it come open in the future.

I expect them to come to an agreement, but in the event talks break down, Johnnie Harris could be back in the picture just like that. The article in the local paper may have been a bit premature.

8. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I expect an agreement will be met too.

9. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Came across this article about D1 ‘Impactful’ Women’s assistant coaches. Elena Lovato and one of my favorite Longhorns were on it:

Coach Lovato has an astoundingly diverse coaching background. She has coached at a variety of levels and filled many positions as a coach. Therefore she brings a whole lot to the table as an assistant. She has had great success in the recruiting realm. She has won national championships as a head coach at the community college level. Coach Lovato is not afraid to stretch herself as a coach. She embraces challenges and knows how to get out of her comfort zone to be successful. She has been very instrumental in helping recruit and develop the players that have made the Mississippi State Bulldogs the powerhouse program they are today.

Enemkpali was a beautiful hire for Coach Bonnie Henrickson at UCSB. Enemkpali has brought elite level skill development for the Gaucho post players. Ila Lane’s rise to prominence as just a freshman can be credited in large part to Coach Enemkplali’s ability to develop elite post players. Lane finished the 2019-2020 season as the #1 rebounder in the NCAA DI (13 RPG), Big West Freshman of the Year and AP All-American Honorable Mention. Enemkpali came to UCSB by way of Gonzaga video coordinator. She was drafted 26th overall out of Texas by the Seattle Storm. While at Texas, Enemkpali averaged 10ppg and 8rpg.

50 Impactful D1 Women's Assistants

• Like Like x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  10. Jacob Johnson

Coach Johnnie harris just followed me back on Twitter! I hope that's a sign of her interacting with Texas fans and making her way to the 40 acres:hookem:

• Like Like x 4
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Saw that Kathy Harston and Erica Routt started following all 3 MSU assistant coaches on twitter.

Johnnie Harris started following Shaka Smart and TexasMBB.

• Like Like x 8
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  12. LonghornsWBB

LonghornsWBB 25+ Posts

One staff member is expected to remain at MSU per their 247. Perhaps Vic wants Blair to become an assistant?

13. Jacob Johnson

Well Johnnie Harris has completely changed her Twitter profile. Nothing represents Mississippi state anymore so that one member might be Lovato. Coach jackson responded to a tweet from a fan thanking her for her time at Mississippi state so the only other coach who has not said anything is Lovato.

• Like Like x 1
  14. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Staff “might” mean support staff rather than assistant coach. Daughter was a staff person. Could be her or another.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Blair is definitely coming to Austin - she announced that a few days ago but didn’t say in what capacity (assistant or support).

16. LonghornsWBB

LonghornsWBB 25+ Posts

Now a different 247 staff member is saying Vic is taking the whole staff with him, even better! They can all recruit. One even followed Aaliyah Moore today.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Johnnie Harris started following Celeste and Charli on twitter.

I think all signs point her to joining Vic's coaching staff at Texas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Terry Nooner no longer has any Texas Longhorns references on his twitter page; I assume that means he will be moving on.

19. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Will this affect the S&C coach, or is she safe because she works with both men and women?

20. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Hudy is safe. Zach Zillner is dedicated to WBB but he’s got close ties to Hudy and unless Vic feels strongly about having someone else, is probably going to stick.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Good news. I like Hudy's work. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Looks like Mississippi State zeroed out their coach/support staff page - only shows McCray now. UT can’t even get Vic on their coaching page - 404 error.

23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Most head coaches bring their own S&C coaches. So, I actually don't think Zilner is a shoe-in. I still can't believe we never heard why the S&C coach he replaced left Texas.

I went to the MSU website, and noticed all coaching bios except Nikki McCray are not listed for 2020-21. But, here is for 2019-20:

Women's Basketball Coaches - Mississippi State

The name 'Maryann Baker' (Director of Operations) rang a bell; believe she is a former Aggie hoopster from the DFW area; I recall some posters on here had wished she's come to Texas; forget how her recruitment went. I'd expect her to come back to the state of Texas, unless she is too much into the UT/A&M rivalry.

As for the S&C coach, MSU did have one dedicated for women's hoops:

Strength & Conditioning - Staff

Marci Hoppa:

Marci Hoppa - Strength & Conditioning Coach - Staff Directory - Mississippi State

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

You have to change the year in the upper right to see Vic's staff from 2019-20 . . . :cool:

25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Re: Zillner - That’s why I qualified the statement saying unless Vic felt strongly about it, he might stick. Vic has kept Hoppa around for almost 3 years so he could bring her but Hudy oversees all basketball S&C programs. You’d think a young S&C coach would jump at the opportunity to work with her.

I completely agree with your take on Baker. Hard to imagine her not joining his staff at Texas.

Last but not least, never forget the athletic trainer.

Julie Martin - Associate Athletic Trainer - Staff Directory - Mississippi State

• Like Like x 1
  26. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Say what you want about the whole ‘gender issue’ - just noticed Vic was the only man on the coaching or support staff at Miss State WBB.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I noticed the same thing

28. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Lovato IS coming to ATX with Vic....

• Like Like x 4
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1