Viewer numbers for the game

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by FridayNiteLites, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Joe2005

Joe2005 500+ Posts

2. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

The cheapest packages on satellite do not include ESPN

3. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

The DIY channel's show titled "Watching Paint Dry" ratings soared in last nights 8pm slot. Anyone know why?

4. RobbyHorn

RobbyHorn 500+ Posts

nobody at work talked about it before the game, nobody at work talked about it today. that game won the pillsbury bore off

5. Owlhorn

Owlhorn 500+ Posts

this isn't the old days. Cable/Satellite have huge penetration, and ratings of sports programming is approaching that of network television. You actually have the reverse of the old situation in many places now. Most can get cable, while many claim they can't get OTA, and some cable companies don't do the basic packages anymore. So really, no excuse.

6. Zona Horn

Zona Horn 500+ Posts

Not only was it the lowest rated BCS game ever, but this year's Rose Bowl got a far higher 16.8.

In short, a glorified exhibition game between two 2-loss (albeit exciting) teams got far better rations than the "championship" game.

Espn's corrupt boosterism on behalf of the SEC (their wholly-owned subsidiary, business partner and general suck-up) may have bit them in the backside on this one. They outright campaigned for a matchup no one wanted to watch, and lost money because of it.

Serves them right.

7. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

8. Dogbert

Dogbert 500+ Posts

One of my co-workers is from Louisiana and I ran into her today. When I asked what she thought of the game she said she changed channels. "The women on The Bachelor were a lot tougher and meaner than LSU."

9. Joe2005

Joe2005 500+ Posts

10. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

11. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

According to the link, which apparently updated after more data, the game was the third lowest BCS championship game, not the very lowest.
    Also, the Sugar Bowl was the lowest rated BCS game ever.
    I'm sure Alabama/LSU got high ratings in the south, but who really cared elsewhere?

12. Fritz

Fritz 500+ Posts

I was so riveted by the game that I flipped over to watch Law and Order at 9:00. Nothing says riveting like flipping the channel to catch a rerun from 2004.

13. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

14. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

It was what we thought it was!

15. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

16. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

17. Longbomb

Longbomb 500+ Posts

18. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

It isn't suprising that TV ratings were lower. Despite the fact that many were protesting the game and just not watching (including myself) the matchup did not draw attention from other areas of the country. If you put a West Coast team in that game for instance, then you get many viewers from that area even more interested. And this is what bowl games are supposed to be....teams playing out of conference and cross-country to see what happens. Unfortunately we did not get that game as fans and the ratings show how disappointed we were.

19. It Hurts

It Hurts 100+ Posts

Didn't watch, I am still trying to figure out how a confrence rematch game can be concidered a National Championship Game? There should be an asteric next to the 2011 NC.

* Lame due to Bull Crap System.

20. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

There should be an asterisk next to most of them throughout college football history.

21. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

22. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I'm ok with calling the sole undefeated team the champion, especially in years like 2002 or 2005 when it knocked out the only other undefeated team and the clear-cut other choice for the final game.

23. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

When the players and coaches who put in the time and work necessary to win a national championship say there should be an asterisk so will I. Until then the fans,who are just along for the ride, should continue to respect their efforts and hope for a playoff as soon as possible.

24. Trusted Insider

Trusted Insider 1,000+ Posts

Um, the fans pay the coaches salary and generate nearly $100 million dollars every year for the University. This loyalty allows athletes to attend college for FzrEE when most people incur massive debt for that same opportunity. I dont really think I need a pass from any coach or any player to voice my opinion.

25. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

26. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

27. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts