Vince Young carves out a second career at UT

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Bevo1970, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Bevo1970

Bevo1970 100+ Posts

This thread was originally submitted by member = giveemhell
    This post was made just before going to the new 2015 platform. Post as normal after it if you wish.

giveemhell
    (1000+ posts)
    02/12/15 09:19 PM
    Vince Young carves out a second career at UT

In reply to:
    Young is comfortable in front of the kids. He immediately launches into the story of his own childhood and speaks candidly: "We [he and his two older sisters] were always at home by ourselves. My mom was strung out on drugs. I went through a lot as a young man." Later, while speaking about the necessity of hard work, he says that "even though my mom was out drinking and smoking and having a good time, she went to work every morning." In talking about the ripple effect of his own college degree, he says, "I was raised by women. The women in my family were true leaders." And now he leads them. His mother is back in school, and one of his sisters now has a real estate license.

The Hero Returns
    Texanne
    (10,000+ posts)
    02/13/15 07:49 AM
    Re: Vince Young carves out a second career at UT

I love [​IMG] and always will.

[​IMG]

Bill in Sinton
    (5000+ posts)
    02/13/15 09:44 AM

[​IMG]

No le hace
    (500+ posts)
    02/13/15 09:58 AM

[​IMG]

Horn6721
    (10,000+ posts)
    02/13/15 10:35 AM

Great article, it doesn't shy away or sugarcoat VY's problems.

We all know he should have been a great NFL QB if he'd gone to another team.

Ad it turns out he will make a more meaningful contribution for a much longer time where he is now.

I will always remember how VY kept his promise to some middle school kids. Not long after the Rose Bowl he visited a middle school urging the kids to study hard and learn. He told them the Horns would be playing in the national Championship game and if the kids would study hard and VY would come back and visit them after we won the game.

So fast forward to March or April 06, VY is in the midst of getting ready for draft BUT he kept his promise and went back to that Round Rock school, Of course the kids loved it and VY once again urged them to study hard and learn.

He is a great representative of the University.We are so blessed to have him.
    This quote from him explains it
    "Young answers simply, "I was the kid that we are supporting."

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

arieshorn
    (1000+ posts)
    02/14/15 09:25 AM

[​IMG]

yelladawgdem
    (2500+ posts)
    02/15/15 04:57 AM

[​IMG]

LonghornCatholic
    (5000+ posts)
    02/15/15 08:48 PM

[​IMG]

BevoJoe
    (5000+ posts)
    02/15/15 10:19 PM

[​IMG]

kchorn
    (5000+ posts)
    02/16/15 02:26 PM

[​IMG]

Hook 'em.

cmtsip
    (500+ posts)
    02/16/15 04:52 PM

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  2. shaggy refuge

shaggy refuge 500+ Posts

Both VY and Colt never had/have a chance to show their skills with a good NFL team.

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Not good ...

4. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Not good. We are trying to finalize a recruiting class with VY as a part of the athletic staff. I think Strong is going to need to take a step back from VY for a while.

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

6. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Can't stop shooting himself in the foot....

7. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

8. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

9. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

If this is true, no excuses for ever driving in that situation.

10. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

11. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Augie got away with it.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  12. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

^ Some people get away with DWIs. Some do not. Welcome to how all DWIs work. It's rather suprising VY did not get away with it. Must have been an aggy cop.

13. Hipsquare

Hipsquare 100+ Posts

Was Manziel with him?

• Like Like x 1
  14. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Anyone know a good lawyer for DWI's that could help out VY?

15. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Sad. How sad will depend on the facts of the situation we will learn at trial or plea.

16. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

VY being part of athletic staff, if reworks closely with football operations, recruiters will have a field day about Charlie's core values...VY needs to resign or distance himself from football at UT, if that is an issue. I know Augie's history, but he is BASEBALL not FOOTBALL related.

17. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Coach Strong and his core values may or may not be here a year from now. VY's national title is forever. I say VY should keep his job and the legal authorities, not his employer, can decide his punishment for a DWI.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Two words people - "Tony Edwards"

We have no knowledge of the situation, nor do we have any facts. Not because he is VY, but because our society has developed a total lynch mob mentality without ever knowing what actually happened.

Let the facts come out, then formulate an opinion. If, indeed, the alcohol content is known, I have not seen it in any of the printed media, nor electronic media. What was the probable cause for the stop? Was he weaving, speeding, bouncing off vehicles? Was he black driving a fancy car on the freeway at 1130 Sunday night?

Is he an employee of the athletic department or football?

As for Strong's "core values", VY was here before Strong, and will be here long after Strong is a position coach at a non power five school.

• Like Like x 1
  19. -Texas-

-Texas- 250+ Posts

I'm not going to judge Vince, but dang, this is yet another unlucky break. I hope that he is able to bounce back quickly from this.

20. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

VY’s statement.
    We all make mistakes. Learn from it, move on, do better next time.

• Like Like x 5
  21. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

No So Fun Fact: The Travis County District Attorney that prosecutes people for drunk driving got a DWI and still has her job.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

I made a similar mistake once. I admitted it, and moved on. Don't throw rocks unless u live in glass house

• Like Like x 2
  23. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Well, actually, the DA's office would not be involved until it got to the 3rd or subsequent DWI. The first two (generally) are misdemeanors, which are the province of the County Attorney. And, rare is the instance that the elected DA actually tries low-level felonies...

That being said, Lehmberg was a Class A misdemeanor due to being over .15 and did keep her job.

24. baoklhorn

baoklhorn 1,000+ Posts

Oh how I wish he stays through the '06 season. Wins a second title then goes to another team and coach then Fisher and the Titans. Good gosh... we just will never know what another year of developed maturity in school would have done for him and UT.
    I STILL LOVE VY.

• Like Like x 2
  25. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

:( Hope he can recover and be productive while learning from this not to let it happen again.

26. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

You without sin ready to throw the first stone?

• Like Like x 1
  27. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Isn't that the old glass houses and throwing stones saying in action.

28. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Vince did the right thing by not cooperating and taking breathalyzer.
    They had to get a warrant to draw blood, which they did.
    Now it will be a week or two before results are known.
    Hopefully it comes back under the limit.

29. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

Looking at the bright side, what's great about situations like this is that nobody got hurt. A guy makes a mistake, but there is no lifetime remorse over a tragic result. That's something to be grateful for.

• Like Like x 2
  30. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I do not condone this either, obviously. Been there done that in '89. Regardless if it is VY or John Doe, I am always puzzled (and this is a relatively new phenomenon brought on by the internets ability to hide identities) on folks throwing rocks whilst residing in a house made of glass.
    Question (rhetorical) the line forms to the right on those of us who never got behind the wheel with a BAC that would result in a trip to the pokie.
    No one hurt, if he (just like me) understands how this could affect others in a way that is unimaginable (as in a mandatory MADD meeting I was invited to by the Travis DA clearly showed me that I couldn't live with myself if I killed someone's child) and changes his life, then its all good. We all make stupid choices, this was one. If it happens again, just like with me, it is more than a stupid choice.

• Like Like x 1