Vince Young Steakhouse

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by pike, Feb 21, 2011.

1. pike

pike 250+ Posts

Wife and I went Saturday night. Great food,atmosphere and waitstaff. Wife had a filet and creamed spinach. I had bone in pork chop with mashed sweet potatoes. Filet and pork were amazing as were sweet potatoes. Spinach was average at best. Quail appetizer was also very good. Extensive wine list too.

We had read bad reviews. Great experience. Glad we didn't listen.

Pike

2. Tailgate

Tailgate 500+ Posts

I heard it was really good as well and have been wanting to go. Thanks for posting. I'll head over there now [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

It is very good. Not sure that it's the best but it is very, very good. They seem to be working out the bugs.

Never go to a top end restaurant in the first month or two of its existence.

4. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Obligatory, <Aggie> I heard the Reggie McNeal steakhouse is better. <Aggie>

5. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

So will your payments for this meal be completed by this time next year? It's somewhat pricey, isn't it? I would like to try it, but might have to get a home equity loan. Is it that bad?

6. pike

pike 250+ Posts

Reasonable price I thought. Wife's 12 oz filet was $38. My pork chop was $23. Quail appetizer was $14. Sides were sharable and $6. Quail was the least reasonable IMO.
    Wines can get up there in price but we had a nice $50 bottle.
    Pike

7. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

Those prices are right in line with other comparable restaurants.

8. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

We went once with fairly low expectations and were pleasantly amazed at how good the steaks and the fish were. Went a second time taking another couple from out of town, with high expectations (since we were hosting) and the place came through again.

I sort of thought it would have a sports bar feel, with a million pictures of VY up and all (and maybe Reggie Bush's Heisman on display), but it's a very subdued environment.

9. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

10. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

11. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

steak places have some of the highest markups on wine and liquor. there are a lot of really good restaurants in houston that only markup there wine bottles about 10% which is nice.

12. Horny Ringman

Horny Ringman 250+ Posts

Glad it's doing good. Stayed @ Hampton a block away last weekend and it never looked like there was much goin on for a fri and sat nite. Maybe the marathon crowd in town was taking it easy on rib eyes.

13. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

austin just isnt a steak town. leave that to the energy cities of dallas/fw and houston. ruth chris downtown is never really that crowded either.

14. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

I have enjoyed only a handful of steaks at restaurants that were better than what I can do at home, and even then, that was probably the result of the industry having access to better steaks than what I can typically get my hands on.

15. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I picture as the type to get your hands on meat as often as possible, daily even.

16. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Damnit, l00p, you are so fail you can't even sling an insult without fumbling.

But, yes, as often as possible. [​IMG]

17. Tailgate

Tailgate 500+ Posts

Went to check it out. Thumbs up in a big way. The bone-in ribeye was nailed and one of the bst I have had in a while. The creamed spinach was off the charts.

18. Tailgate

Tailgate 500+ Posts

Went there again. It's the real deal.

19. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

I want to party with you, tailgate. You've apparently got more money than I do.

20. Burnt Orangeman

Burnt Orangeman 1,000+ Posts

I'm going soon whether it sucks or not just to be patriotic.

Where is it (said the man too damn lazy to even Google)?

21. Tailgate

Tailgate 500+ Posts

22. NativeTXchic

NativeTXchic 1,000+ Posts

I've been wanting to check this out since I heard about it opening up. Heard it was pricey, too. My sister and her boyfriend went, and she said he paid about $250 for their meal, plus with her daughter/my niece. They bought a bottle of wine, but not sure what they ate or how much the bottle was.

What I want to know is.... can you cut your steak without a knife there?? I have yet to have that, but I'm told it's possible! [​IMG]

23. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

The key, if on a budget, is to just not order cocktails or wine. That brings the price down considerably and allows more allowance for desert or extra food items if they are a la carte. I am not a big drinker to begin with so it's not unusual for me to not order anything when eating so it works out nicely.

Still need to hit this place up.