Vincent R DiNino RIP

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by lhbruleshalftime, Sep 10, 2014.

1. lhbruleshalftime

lhbruleshalftime 250+ Posts

Longhorn Band Director 1955-1975.

Hook ' Em, Mr D!

[​IMG]

2. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

3. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

Many many years ago when I was in junior high school band, the sax quartet I was in (bari sax player) came to Austin for the UIL solo and ensemble contest. We were nervous but confident kids as we entered the room in one of the six-pack bldgs. Our judge stood up and introduced himself "Welcome to UT. I'm Vincent DiNiño." We were expecting a band grad student or local hs band director, but we got The director of the LHB. A very nice man who gave us a good critique of our piece - which made us even more nervous - but we found out a few hours later that he had given us a division one rating (first place). Although I got out of band in high school, he along with the '63 NC team are two of the many reasons I came to The University of Texas.

"According to Don Haynes, a former student, when DiNino was asked why he should be hired as the director of the Longhorn Band in 1955 , he told the university brass, "Because I will build you the best damn college band in the country."

That he did.

RIP to a great Longhorn.

[​IMG]

4. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

5. cmtsip

cmtsip 500+ Posts

6. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

7. 1918Speedway

1918Speedway 250+ Posts

8. No le hace

No le hace 500+ Posts

9. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Been out of town all week but heard this very sad news. The Great Vincent R. DiNino has passed away. Former Director of the Showband of the Southwest. Many great memories of him and his fantastic Longhorn Bands.

RIP [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

11. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

Ms. Dillo was in his band. RIP. [​IMG]

12. 36Crossbuck

36Crossbuck 100+ Posts

Wow, great guy. RIP and say hello to DKR.

[​IMG]