Volleyball vs Pepperdine

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by TempestHorn, Aug 24, 2011.

1. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

This Friday night at 8pm #4 Texas opens the season against #26 Pepperdine. They just announced a 48 hour sale with $3 tickets. If you're thinking you'll watch it on the Longhorn Network, I'd work on a very cheap Plan B.
    Ticket sale

2. OrangeForLife

OrangeForLife 250+ Posts

3. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

I think its sad, the contracts are not worked out for Longhorn Network. I would really luv to see that game.

4. s102r18

s102r18 250+ Posts

5. daytonhorn

daytonhorn 500+ Posts

6. UTVballfan

UTVballfan 100+ Posts

Everybody come out!

Let's have a great opening night!

7. OrangeForLife

OrangeForLife 250+ Posts

It would be great if we had a crowd like we had for the regionals...that was awesome [​IMG]

8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Out of town this weekend; planned for months.

But, I sure hope to catch the replay on LHN sometime soon!

9. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Texas won the 1st Set 26 - 24

10. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

Texas lost the second set 21 to 25 but won the third set 25 to 16. We need one more set to win the match as we lead 2 to 1 in sets.

11. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Is Bannister, Webster and Roberson hurt

12. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Good Job Ladies!
    Texas 3 - 1
    K.Bell and Eckerman was Outstanding!
    Hookem'

13. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

I don't know and I hope not. We won the third set 25 to 22 and win the match 3=1.

14. FBTxEx

FBTxEx 25+ Posts

Both Webster and Roberson played tonight.
    Bannister and Hutson did not.

15. s102r18

s102r18 250+ Posts

Shades of 2010 as Sha' Dare went down with a knee injury in game #2. Amber was sent in as her replacement, but after the deficit grew she was replaced by Sarah Palmer. Surprising as it may seen...Sarah became a six-rotation player!

Amber has enormous talent but she tends to play a laid back style of VB. When Sarah took her place it was like the team had received an adrenaline injection. She fired off some impressive attacks as a front row hitter! Alas, it was too little, too late, but the difference in how the team performed after she entered the lineup was palpable.

In the third game Texas rolled out its third lineup rotation of the night and steamrolled The Wave for a game and a half. Then, like a cat becoming bored with a cornered and well-abused mouse, our team seemed to lose focus and let Pepperdine storm back from a seemingly insurmountable deficit to nearly tie the game. JE juggled the lineup a few times to shake things up, and it all worked out in the end.

[​IMG]

16. UTVballfan

UTVballfan 100+ Posts

Very good turnout of 3100+ boisterous fans. The atmosphere was exciting. Had that home opener vibe, plus all the TV cameras and lights and interviews and stuff. During timeouts, they kept hoisting the cameras to get a good shot of the huddle, maybe hoping to catch a classic Elliott rant.

I love the freshmen. You can see why the fuss over Khat and Haley Eckerman. They both hit hard, can take it high, and have the angles. They play with spirit and animation. Remind me of Destinee Hooker, although I didn’t see any backrolls just yet. And oh, Khat played all the way around –17 digs to go with her 16 kills. These girls are very fun to watch.

The starting rotation included Haley Cameron, Haley E., Khat, Sha’Dare, Rachael and Sydney. 6-2 with Hannah and Michelle. Bailey subbed in for Kocher.

First set showed both our potential and some rough edges – Elliott was reaching for the pepto bismol with all the missed serves.

Sha’Dare was playing great until the second set when she got hurt. I didn’t see it but I couldn’t believe it, like “Are you effing kidding me!” Shitake mushroom-balls! 3,000 collective prayers were hopefully answered when she came out later and seemed not to be limping much. Hoping for good news on the MRI.

Another poster said Bannister was wearing a long leg brace under her sock, and frosh Hutson was holding a heat pack close to her stomach (maybe meaning a strained ab?). Let’s hope for the best there.

Meanwhile the coaches got creative with the line-ups. Sarah added energy and ball control, and everything steadied out when we settled on a 5-1 with Hannah setting - and Kocher on D!

The 3rd set was a blast. We blocked everything, until Pepperdine freaked and hit everything out. Just domination, and it really wasn’t as close as the 25-16 score.

Other tidbits: Haley Cameron was good! Coach E. had Salima take charge in some of the huddles; I love her demeanor. Coach Sullivan is engaged too, and I think he has definitely been helping the team with their passing, although it is a work in progress.

Around the league - Penn State lost to Oregon. Cal won but in front of a measly 896 fans at home. Ha! Nebraska needed five to beat New Mexico State in front of 657 in Albuquerque. USC battled back to take Minnesota in five.

Gotta run to do chores before heading back to Gregory.

This season should rock! Get your buns to the gym!

17. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Great start to season. [​IMG]