VY and Snow among Cuts

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by CanaTigers, Aug 31, 2013.

1. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

2. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

Green Bay cuts Vince Young and Buffalo cuts David Snow

3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I wonder what happened. Seemed like the coach was pretty optimistic about him, and he has played well.

4. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

That really surprises me. I thought he was set to be #2.

5. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

Damn. Hate that, probably his last shot.
    But we'll always have The Game to remember.

[​IMG]

So much for cheering for the Packers.

6. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

7. addicted to Horn

addicted to Horn 1,000+ Posts

? Wow did not see that one coming.

8. addicted to Horn

addicted to Horn 1,000+ Posts

? Wow, did not see that one coming.

9. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

The lone upside, I can go back to hating the Packers again. [​IMG]

10. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

VY was clearly their best backup in the preseason, so I'm a bit surprised at this.

11. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

There was a Thur night game with KC.
    VY fumbled twice, and not a high passing completion percentage.

What irks me is that by the time you get to the last pre-season game, the coaches have almost nothing on the field to speak of and are trying to cut from 75 to 53. The quarterback doesn't have much to work with, and the opposing defense has players fighting for their professional lives.

Such games should be garbage no matter who plays.

If I were a coach I'd pick out my skill players and QB in particular in the early games and only consider cuts in other areas by the last game. I'd also get backup QBs in a game early in the first half for at least one series with the 1st unit.

12. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

If you accept that the last pre-season game is garbage, then that makes the two fumbles even more egregious and unacceptable. Sadly, it was likely the turnovers in that game that did VY in...

13. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I did read something earlier from a source close to the Packers that said Vince's history of not protecting the ball was the biggest factor in his release. Not just in that pre-season game, but going all the way back to his time at Texas.

14. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

Then the Pack cuts B.J. Coleman and signs Seneca Wallace: Link.

I'd think VY would be an upgrade over Wallace, but I haven't been paying much attention either.

15. HornsinHutto

HornsinHutto 100+ Posts

Vince is better than Wallace. I think he might need to go light it up in Canada for a year.

16. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

17. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

he Packers GM says it is his fault for not bringing VY in earlier, that it wasn't fair to Bince
    that Vince did everything asked of him and everyone liked him, he worked hard showed leadership yada yada uada

so they cut him and bring in someone else now? [​IMG]

18. HornsinHutto

HornsinHutto 100+ Posts

Mack mentioned in his pressed today that he wasn't worried. That he'd be picked up soon.

19. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

VY has baggage. It'll take more than hard work to show that the baggage won't hold him down. He needed a spectacular preseason to show that he can be a halfway reliable backup, and his preseason was kind of "meh."

It's funny that Buffalo has such a QB need after cutting him last year. And Manuel is kind of like VY, but hurt and has no backup. Hmm...

20. UTDad

UTDad 100+ Posts

I agree with Hutto that maybe Vince should have a go in Canada. That open field game should be perfect for him. Good luck, Vince, with whatever the future holds!