VY wants to play again, hires agent

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Dionysus, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Has hired agent Leigh Steinberg. Could he still contribute somewhere?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

I know one thing, they have some pretty inept primary back-ups in this league.

Matt Cassel (year and a day older than Vince) is a prime example. He's dreadful throwing the ball beyond 10 yards and still played in 12 games the last two seasons...

2015 (8 games) - 70.6 QBR
    2016 (4 games) - 71.0 QBR

Young had a much better QBR than those in 2 of his last 3 seasons. If Cassel can still get ample opportunities, Vince has every right to try his hand again.

• Like Like x 3
  3. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Good decision IMHO. In the right situation VY can contribute.

4. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

he wouldn't be worse than the cowboys back ups the last few years

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Weeden was the highest producing QB for the 2015 Texans after Dallas prematurely cut him to suffer the suckage of Cassel.

In 2015...Weeden had a 92.1 QBR with Dallas and 107.7 QBR in Houston. He had a better QBR in both Dallas seasons than Vince had in five of his six seasons.

In 2016...well Romo might be just a tad better. :smile1: Yes, the Cowboys did have two top 10 QB's suited up this year.

For that matter, it's doubtful VY could even beat out Sanchez these days...

2014: 64.1%, 2,418 yards, 14 TD, 11 INT, 88.4 QBR
    2015: 64.8%, 616 yards, 4 TD, 4 INT, 80.7 QBR

However, it would be more appropriate to say VY might be better than the Texans multi-million dollar starter (72.2 QBR) this past year. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  6. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I hope he lands a spot somewhere and gets some PT this season.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

From the linked article:

A third overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft by Tennessee, Young played six NFL seasons with the Titans and Eagles and a member of the Bills, Packers and Browns. He’s thrown for almost 9,000 yards in his NFL career with 46 touchdowns and 51 interceptions while adding 282 rushing attempts for 1,459 (5.2 yards-per-carry average) and 12 touchdowns. The 33-year-old hasn’t taken a pro snap since 2011 with Philadelphia. He announced his retirement from the NFL on June 14, 2014.

Young, who won a NCAA national championship with the University of Texas in 2006, has had bumps along his pro career. Distraught by poor play and injury, he disappeared for several hours in 2008, leading then-Titans head coach Jeff Fisher to phone police. And in 2012, the Associated Press reported that Young had spent much of the $34 million he earned in the NFL. In January 2014, Young filed for bankruptcy.

Per Arash Madani, Young was on the Montreal Alouettes neg list from August 2012 but he was taken off by 2015.

The Riders currently have veteran Kevin Glenn as well as youngsters Brandon Bridge, G.J. Kinne, Bryan Bennett and Jake Waters under contract at quarterback.

Adding Young to the neg list does not necessarily mean that he will sign with the Riders, but given that the 2005 Heisman Trophy runner-up was added on Jan. 30, the timing is certainly curious.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

The man will be 34 in a couple months. GM's aren't going to take the risk on "not being as bad as some NFL backups" as their low bar for pulling a guy who hasn't played a meaningful snap in 6 seasons off the scrap heap.

9. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i hope he gives it his best shot though. some guys need to be trying to play for their sanity. it gives them focus. if that's what he needs for a few years, go for it!

10. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

I would take VY who hasn't played in years over Sanchez any day all day. Would like to think Wins are the most important stat but not for nimrod Fisher and a lot of others unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

He is certainly more mature now, so if he still has some athletic ability he might be a good fit somewhere, even if only in a backup role. I would love to see him do a little magic again in the NFL. How fun would that be?

:vy:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

I think being a backup QB in the NFL is the next best job to being a pro golfer. Good luck VY!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

Hoop you are 100% correct

14. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

He could be the George Foreman of football.

• Like Like x 2
  15. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

16. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

• Like Like x 4
  17. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

18. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

19. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

he'll never play in the NFL looking like that; at the weight and shape he's in.

20. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Thoughts? He's THICK! I must have missed the news where he switched to DE.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  21. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

Hope he's on a leave of absence from his UT job.

• Like Like x 1
  22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

George Foreman is the George Blanda of boxing

• Like Like x 3
  23. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

24. orngblud

orngblud 1,000+ Posts

25. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

The comments on that photo link with the green jersey were quite comical. Pictures can be deceiving. Would have to see a better picture to conclude he's as out of shape as people are perceiving.

26. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Article at The Undefeated, by Jason Reid: Vince Young is taking his talents to the CFL

Vince Young is coming back to the game. It was 2011, or roughly a lifetime in football years, when Young took his last snap as a professional quarterback. That was for the Philadelphia Eagles after a long stint as the Man in Tennessee. Now Young is coming out of retirement, signing with the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League.

The onetime absolutely mesmerizing college star hopes to revive a pro career that was actually better than lots of folks probably remember – but not nearly as good as Young believes it should have been. Derailed by financial missteps, bad advice and, admittedly, his own immaturity, Young hopes to rewrite the closing act of his career.

The Roughriders provided no assurances – “Just the opportunity to compete for the job, which is all I want,” Young said. At 33 and coming off a very long layoff, Young knows it won’t be easy to regain the form that made him a two-time Pro Bowler, but he believes in himself and is determined to prove that others can believe in him, too. In his first public comments since signing his two-year deal, Young told The Undefeated about his comeback plans, which include the quarterback trying to trademark the phrase, “MAKE VINCE GREAT AGAIN.”

“The biggest thing is just having the chance to get back into the game. Just to have an opportunity to go back and play football. I wanted to do it. It’s something I’ve been thinking about for a long time. But I didn’t know how it would happen. I didn’t know if it could happen. But then I got together with [agent] Leigh [Steinberg], who has been great for me. Leigh got me thinking that this could really happen. Everyone knows that Leigh is great at what he does. Leigh [credited as the inspiration for Tom Cruise’s character in the film Jerry Maguire] did what he does underneath the radar to get the deal done. I did what I had to do to get myself prepared. You have to start moving to get to where you want to be. This is the start.

Man, everyone with the Roughriders has been great. When people call you and tell you they want you, that they think you still have something to offer and they want to give you a chance, that’s a blessing. You have to feel good when people tell you they still have confidence in you. You know there are people out there who don’t look at you like that. Even when I was playing in the NFL, a lot of people didn’t understand that I did OK. I really feel I did OK. I was the rookie of the year. I went to the Pro Bowl a couple of times. That was pretty good. For me, I was proud of what I did in the NFL. I did a pretty good job.

A lot of people don’t remember that. I know why. I understand it. Some things got way out of hand. I can say I made some mistakes. Sometimes I was a little bit immature about some of the things that were going on around me. I didn’t know how to function the right way with a lot of things happening around me. Or you could say I didn’t handle business the right way. I can say that now. But some of that stuff people said about me … that stuff was just people being people. Like the thing about me buying all the tickets on the [Southwest] planes. You want to buy out a plane, you just go get a private jet. Again, man, that’s just people being people and talking. I just try to ignore that type of stuff. I just continue to be who I am.

Did I need to correct some things? Yeah, I had to clean up a lot of mess that my team [of advisers] got me into it. The finger was pointed at me because I chose those guys. That’s on me. I had to grow up a lot on my own. In the business world and the financial world, there was a lot I didn’t know. A lot was going on behind the scenes. I wish I was with Leigh back then. He’s a really smart guy. I could have used his help. I’m happy to say that almost everything is cleaned up now. And I’m a lot more mature now. I’ve definitely grown up.

One of the things I always tell people is that the best decision I ever made was to go to the University of Texas. Everything that UT has helped me with after football, especially making the transition to the business world, has been a blessing. My UT alums … they’ve been teaching me a lot about business and how to become mature, be a real man in your household and to take care of your responsibilities. I’ve been working for the university as well as the Longhorn Network. I’m using my foundation, the Vince Young Foundation, to do a lot of things for at-risk kids in Austin, as well in central Texas. I’ve got my Vince Young Steakhouse [in Austin]. I’m about to launch my real estate company.

I’m happy, man. I’m just enjoying life. I’m married. We’ve been together since high school. I’ve got a 6-year-old running around, driving me crazy. I’m giving back to the community and making the most of all these opportunities I never expected. But I’m not gonna lie: It was hard watching on Sunday when you feel you should still be out there. I’m just excited to tell my son I might be going back to play quarterback again. I want him to have the chance to see me play.

For this opportunity they’re giving me, I’m going to give Saskatchewan everything I have. A lot of guys have gone to Canada and done great. The NFL? I’m not thinking about the NFL. The chance to play for Saskatchewan, which believes in me, that’s where my mind is. And maybe I can be an inspiration to someone else. Maybe someone will look at everything that happened to me, see me now and keep the faith. You never know what’s going to happen. You never know, man. You never know.

* * *​

One of the greatest players in the illustrious football history of the University of Texas, Young led the Longhorns to the 2005 national championship. As a college starter, Young had a 30-2 record. The Tennessee Titans picked the dual-threat passer in the first round (third overall) of the 2006 draft. Young was selected the 2006 Associated Press Offensive Rookie of the Year, the 2009 Sporting News Comeback Player of the Year and was a two-time Pro Bowler. In six seasons as a pro, Young went 31-19.

Jason Reid is the senior NFL writer at The Undefeated. He enjoys watching sports, especially any games involving his son and daughter.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

28. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

I am hoping for the best, but I have to admit that I'm not entirely optimistic. That said, Vince looks good in the photos Dion just posted.

• Like Like x 1
  29. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Go Vince, give it you're all and you'll make it.

30. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Talked to Leigh Steinberg about Vince Young's return to football (he signed with the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the CFL Thursday), and he said VY is coming back for the love of the game.

"I asked Vince at the beginning of this process, 'If the NFL doesn't call, and the Canadian (Football) League is all we end up with, would you still want to do this?' and his answer was 'Yes,'" Steinberg said.

"He is realistic about this situation and simply has the desire to play more football. He is not doing it because he's broke. He's in a good place in his life. He has a great wife. He has really good people around him who have helped with his finances. He's a football player, and football players want to play until they can't do it anymore."

Young remains an employee in UT's Division of Diversity and Community Engagement, where he's earned $100,000 per year since 2014, according to UT spokesman Gary Susswein.

"Vince Young has been approved for an unpaid leave of absence from June 1 to October 31, and we wish him the best success during that time," Susswein said.

The average salary of a CFL player is roughly $80,000. But Steinberg indicated Young will be paid well north of that.

Steinberg, who represented former NFL and CFL QBs Warren Moon, Jeff Garcia and Doug Flutie said Young has been "training like he's going to Pro Day."

Saskatchewan has already signed the top offensive line free agent in the CFL, have an offensive-minded head coach and will play this season in a renovated stadium. Steinberg said tweets about the Saskatchewan Roughriders picking up Young's CFL rights a month ago "received 500,000 impressions."

"Vince Young clearly still has appeal," Steinberg said. "And why not? He's only 33. He's a two-time Pro Bowl quarterback who has won a bunch of games as a starter in the NFL."
    [HD]

• Like Like x 2