WaPo: 'GOP a Near-lock to take Senate'

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by HornHuskerDad, Aug 5, 2014.

1. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

The Link. Interesting summary of Washington Post report. IMO, this would be very good news for the country. GOP control of the Congress would certainly put a damper on the Obama agenda for his last two years. A critical point would be the ability to keep Obama from appointing a far-left nominee to SCOTUS.

According to the report, it looks as though the GOP should emerge from the mid-term election with 52 seats in the Senate-

2. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Considering who he has appointed to the appellate courts so far there is virtually no chance he would appoint a far leftist.

And the republicans are not going to let him successfully appoint anybody at all

I want to see if they try again to dismantle the health care act. I note my idiot republican tea party congressman has quit talking about it and is now concentrating on fixing the VA, which has been a minor train wreck for decades, and immigration. I guess it is too much to hope that he will suggest arresting employers and ending the debasement of the labor supply at its root. Too many repubilcans depend on cheap labor to make their money.

3. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

4. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Shush! Don't jinx it.

Boy would I love to see Dirty Harry eating some of the shiite he's been dishing out all these years.

5. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like the Mitch McConnell's plan finally is working when he vowed to be an obstructionist before Obama took office in the first term. Now the Republicans may have to come up with some ideas other than "no".
    At the very least, a shift in power will hopefully move Congress in a
    direction. They've been stuck in a stalemate for too long.

Ted Cruz scares the ever-loving-**** out of me though.

6. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

a conservative republican congress and a liberal president will equal total gridlock. Which is ok

7. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

PLEASE LET IT HAPPEN.

8. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Husker
    are you saying obstruction is a bad thing?

9. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

10. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

11. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mich
    I guess history doesn't interest you.

let me ask you
    do you think what husker called obstruction is a bad thing?

12. Roger35

Roger35 2,500+ Posts

13. SkySooner

SkySooner 100+ Posts

14. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

SkySooner,

That article is a little outdated. I think he had something more recent that puts the likelihood of a R takeover of the Senate at 60%.
    The Link

15. SkySooner

SkySooner 100+ Posts

About 3 weeks later. Thanks for the update. Didn't see that in his headlines.

16. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

I've been predicting a gop edge for over a year but I am starting to back up a bit: this morning a republican friend who owns a small business told our coffee bunch that his new insurance plan is costing him a little under $200 A month less than the one he had last year.

Add in the millions who now have insurance who did not before and you see why the gop is not so loud about how they are going to repeal the health care act.

Not that they could do it anyway as long as he is president

17. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Huis
    there is so much more than just premium
    did he tell you if the coverage and docs were the same?
    how much is his deductible?
    co pays?

and even at that I doubt seriously if he, as a real Republican, would switch a vote on that alone

18. Seattle Husker

19. Seattle Husker

Horn6721- Obstruction for the sake of obstruction is a bad thing.

20. 314

314 250+ Posts

Are you comparing Dick Morris to statistical models?

21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Husker
    When it is your party doing it obstruction is seen as a good thing and is always done for the values and ideology of a party.
    It is the same whether it is Dems obstructing or the GOP obstructing..
    I know you are bright enough to see it cuts ,has cut and will cut both ways.

22. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

23. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

24. Roger35

Roger35 2,500+ Posts

25. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

R35 throwing out standard BS. Many more healthcare providers are complaining about ACA. I was at a hospital two days ago where the CEO complained about a huge increase in his uncompensated care this year. These $200 per month premium folks are overwhelming his ER and not paying their co-pay or deductibles. This is a common story among the hundreds of hospitals we work with.

26. Roger35

Roger35 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

27. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

Hmmm, I would've guessed Rog35 would welcome complaining with open arms. After all, he stumps hard for Obama, the Complainer-in-Chief.

28. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Uh R35You left an important part of the statement off as if that actually makes your point. people can read you know
    here let me repost it so you can perhaps see the important part you left off and understand it doesn't make your point at all. Just the opposite:
    "where the CEO complained about a huge increase in his uncompensated care this year.
    "
    An NPR report yesterday mentioned how many Internists had stopped taking obamacare plans. When NPR reports on something disparaging Bo and his plans you know it is serious.

29. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Yes, a not for profit hospital CEO. Good news for liberals to see a hospital close! Are you really happy about hospitals closing?

30. Roger35

Roger35 2,500+ Posts