War Horse

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by gecko, Nov 29, 2011.

1. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

Trailer here

If the horse dies there is no way I can see this movie. It opens Christmas Day...someone go see it and PM and let me know whether the horse gets it at the end.

2. TRRW#31

TRRW#31 250+ Posts

Me either. I don't think I'll be seeing it.

3. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

Saw the play...PM'd you.

4. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

it is a stephen spielberg christmas movie.

He will make you cry and you will leave the theater in a good mood.

Spielberg goes for gold every time and would put a happy spin on the death of little nell.

5. texas_ex2000

Which movie horse would you want?

Joey (War Horse) - TBD

Seabiscuit - Ends the Great Depression by winning the Santa Anita Handicap and beating War Admiral

Hidalgo - Saves the American Mustang from extinction by winning the "Ocean of Fire" 3,000 race across the Arabian Desert

The Hell ***** - Captain Call's mare on the first cattle drive from Texas to Montana

6. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

I can't take another Marley and Me movie..I saw an ad for this- I wish I could change it to an interesting WWI movie without the personal feelings for a horse bound for the glue factory.

7. texas_ex2000

8. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

I'll miss Spielberg when I am reduced to glue and dog food.

He is a corny sentimental jerk who has never made an honest film in his life and never will.

You will cheer and cry at the same times in the film generation after generation. Yep, that is little Stevie.

He is a tear jerker with excellent film making skills and he hits home runs over and over so he can afford to hire John Williams to write excellent scores and hire the best photographers, etc.

His films are cotton candy and have never aspired to be anything but entertainment. Too bad, what a waste.

Coppola and Scorcese are equally talented but both tried to say something and did so.

9. texas_ex2000

10. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Didn't say he wasn't great, just that he makes popcorn films.

If you just want to be manipulated into sadness but guaranteed an ending that will send you out in a good mood, he's your man.

And McMurtry wrote some very thoughtful novels before he had his health problems.

As for Fitzgerald, Gatsby says more about the effects of the class system and the human capacity for self delusion than anybody else in history. He wrote a lot of junk for money for the magazines too.

Spielberg does the equivalent of just writing for the Saturday Evening Post.

11. Y Sanchez

Y Sanchez 250+ Posts

Hell ***** please.

12. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

Bloated and predictable movie. The cavalry charge sequence, however, was excellent.

13. texas_ex2000

14. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

texas_ex2000,

Please don't presume to guess that my dislike of the movie is based in some lack of ability to appreciate a "GLORIOUSLY old fashioned" movie.

Old fashioned movies, new fashioned movies, stories of any kind for that matter are never intended to be predictable or bloated. That it is based on a children's book is also no justification for predictability.

I can see someone enjoying the movie where I didn't for a number of reasons. There is a great deal of sentimentality in the movie which is played very heavily and climaxing in the overdone tableau visual at the end of the movie. I could tell heartstrings in the theater were being pulled, and I bet those viewers have a different perspective on the movie than my own. I won't accuse them of being saps anymore than I like being accused of having some sort of prejudice against "old fashioned movies."

John Ford could dip into some pretty cornball sentimentality, but his movies survive as not just "old fashioned" movies, but excellent films. Look at how Frank Capra handles "It's a Wonderful Life." The sweetness is cut with the salt of failed dreams, suicide and the dark force of Potter.

For me, War Horse failed to generate much feeling. I doubt I'll remember anything from the movie other than the fine cavalry charge. I don't dislike old fashioned filmmaking. I do dislike Warhorse.

15. texas_ex2000

16. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

No worries. I think my post may have come out a little more pointed than I meant.

17. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

18. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

19. texas_ex2000