Was Clemson-Alabama the most exciting championship game in recent memory?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by bck031, Jan 13, 2017.

1. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

No.

1. 2005 season: Texas 41, Southern California 38
    Excitement score: 6.8

The 2006 Rose Bowl is widely regarded as one of the greatest games in college football history. USC and Texas both entered the game undefeated, and featured dynamic playmakers in Reggie Bush and Vince Young. The Trojans were seeking their 35th consecutive win before Young posted one of the greatest individual performances (467 total yards, 3 TD) in championship game history.

More importantly, this game was a thriller on the field. After a back-and-forth first half, USC took a 12-point lead with 6:42 remaining. At that point, Texas' win probability dropped to 3 percent before Young led the Longhorns on two straight touchdown drives. Young capped off his historic performance with an 8-yard touchdown run with 19 seconds remaining, which increased Texas' chance to win from 37 percent to 94 percent, the most impactful play in a championship game (based on win probability added) since 2005.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...most-exciting-championship-game-recent-memory

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

If the 2005 season is considered recent, then I agree with that the Clemson-Bama game doesn't stack up, although it was a good one.

To me 2005 is a distant memory. That was almost a quarter of my lifetime ago. It's time for the Horns to become relevant again.

3. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

UA and CU was a good game, but Texas v USC still the best I ever saw.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

It would be nice if 2005 was 1/4 of my lifetime ago. Hoop your prospective will change in time. The 1940's were a long time ago. 2005 was almost yesterday.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

My 2 cents

1. UT- USC
    2. Ohio St - Miami
    3. Bama - Clemson

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

So Olehornfan isn't just a clever name, then? :)

I just hope we don't have to wait 35 years between championships, like the last time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

I dunno......UT vs USC was good but Ut vs ND on 1-1-1970 was pretty damn good also.....plus it had this ......

[​IMG]

2 Longhorn legends sadly both are now gone but never forgotten...:hookem: :bevo:!

• Like Like x 6
  8. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

^^^^THIS....I ain't got no 35 years left!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

1- TEXAS-SC 2005
    2- Miami- Nebraksa 1983
    3- Clemson- Alabama 2016
    4?- Notre Dame-Alabama 1973'ish (#1 and #4 played)

(great photo of Freddie and Slick, above!)

• Like Like x 3