Was Someone Recruiting Mack?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by HornFan4Ever, Dec 10, 2009.

1. HornFan4Ever

HornFan4Ever 25+ Posts

First of all, congrats to Coach Brown for the well deserved raise. He is worth whatever the university can afford to pay him. However, I wonder is someone was giving him a long look... perhaps from South Bend? This raise was so sudden and so huge...it seems odd to do this without motivation and I'm sure we all agree that immediate motivation would be if another prestige school was waving big bucks at him. If Weis made over 4 mil then Mack was severely underpaid. Did ND make us realize that?? Makes one stop and think!

I personally hope he stays for several more years!!

2. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

he got a raise becuase he deserved it.

mack doesnt strike me as a guy who would even bother listening to other schools.

perhaps mack mentioned retirement, and dodds needed to sweeten the pot to keep him around a bit longer.

3. Extra Large

Extra Large 250+ Posts

They rolled the bonus that Mack was going to get next year into his salary. The total payment for his services next year is unchanged. The "raise" does not even really kick in until the 2011 season.

The value of the job went up though, and I am sure that the coach-in-waiting is happy to see that.

When you look at where Mack has brought this program from in 1997 to where it is now....wow....it's a business management success that is really off the charts.

His first few years, Mack would say "We have been in the neighborhood of the top 10 a few times, what we want to do is build a house there. The house is built and the mortgage is paid off.

Well done Mack, you deserve your raise.

4. HornFan4Ever

HornFan4Ever 25+ Posts

I agree that Mack wouldn't listen to or pursue other offers. He is just that classy. But that doesn't stop the hounds from barking!

5. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

I remember the first few years of the Mack era Longhorn fans were worried that his dream job was his alma mater Florida State and if Bowden retired and FSU came calling he would leave Texas. I think in the first 2 or 3 years of Mack's tenure that may have been a legitmate concern.

Now, I think Mack is too much a part of the University, Austin, high school football, and the State of Texas as a whole that he won't leave for any other job.

6. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

mack is now an institution here. him leaving would have been like seeing paterno leave penn st, bowden leave fl st., etc. we had recod revenue in a recession. he deserves the money, the state isnt paying a dime of it. this cannot be said at most schools.

7. pjohnson

pjohnson 100+ Posts

I love Mack as much as anyone, but to think he wouldn't listen to other offers because he is too classy is just silly. If that were true how in the hell did we get him.

I doubt that he would entertain other offers, but it probably has more to do with his feelings for UT and the security he has here than anything else.

8. allweatherHorn

allweatherHorn 1,000+ Posts

Mack deserves a raise because his work is creating enormous wealth for his employer and, above all else, he is one hell of a CEO/coach. I also agree that Mack has become synonymous with Texas football and he is among those coaches who really could not benefit from going anywhere else regardless of the money involved.

9. TDTexas!

TDTexas! 250+ Posts

10. Xcalibur

Xcalibur 250+ Posts

We gave Mack a raise because we could. We're Texas.

Mack looking into a coaching job at another school would be like Barack Obama stepping down from the Presidency to pursue the position of Mayor for the city of Chicago.

11. eugene11

eugene11 250+ Posts

12. Orangesweat

Orangesweat 2,500+ Posts

13. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

14. slipreerock83

slipreerock83 100+ Posts

Mack represents this University with such grace and dignity. I will never forget his post game speech in the locker room after winning the National Championship - in which he challenged his players to not let this be the best thing that ever happened to them in their life. - To go out and be great husbands and fathers, etc....( I know I am not doing his speech justice.) In my opinion, Mack Brown defines class - and represents everything that is good about College Football. THESE are the good old days, my friends! We need to stop and smell the roses and savor this moment. Thank you Mack. Thank you Colt! Thank you Jordan! Thank you Sergio! Now go out and shock the world and wrap up this magical season with a victory over Alabama. The Eyes of Texas are upon you!!!! [​IMG]

15. Tan Ted Deki

Tan Ted Deki 500+ Posts

when somebody makes your program ****-piles of money it is only reasonable to let some fall into their pocket.

16. banksypete

banksypete 100+ Posts

The answer to this question was "yes". However, I do not know if it resulted in this new contract.
    I had a converstation with the most visible football financial supporter who told me that ND had contacted and offered $5 million a year. My impression was that there was not much interest but he was going to follow up after the Nebraska game to make sure.
    Don't know first hand but this was said and I heard it.

17. HornFan4Ever

HornFan4Ever 25+ Posts

Interesting information, banksypete. Makes sense to me that someone was giving him a long look, probably ND. Hell, if you read their search criteria it probably resembles his bio from the last ten years!!