Washington DC Electoral Votes

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by majorwhiteapples, Nov 10, 2016.

1. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

How does DC get 3 Electoral votes?

I know it is heavily democratic and the democrats controlled Congress forever but 3 votes?

I always thought it was one?

2. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

It gets the same votes as the lowest populated state does, IIRC.

3. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

What does control of Congress have to do with how many electoral votes DC gets? Section 1 of the Twenty-Third Amendment reads in relevant part:

This was proposed by Congress in 1960 with broad bi-partisan support in both houses, and was endorsed by President Eisenhower as well as presidential candidates Kennedy and Nixon. It was ratified in 1961.

It is hard to make a case for why DC should have fewer than 3 electors. DC's population is greater than 2 states (Wyoming and Vermont) and it is gaining quickly on Alaska. Thus, DC is no more "overrepresented" than those states are. If anything, DC has a strong argument that it should have representation in the House and Senate.

4. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

That is pretty much correct. So long as there are low-population states that qualify for only 3 electors, DC can't get more than that. If the time ever comes that all states qualify for 4 electors, DC will not get a 4th unless its own population justifies that. This scenario is very unlikely, so for all intents and purposes DC will always have 3.

5. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

They should add PR, USVI, Guam, and N Marianna Islands to the D.C. electors.

6. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Why?

7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Let them have a say. None of the entities are states, just like D.C. Also, they vote in the party nomination. If not clear before, total electors remain at 3.

8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

But they're not like DC. They are overseas territories, and DC is a federal district that exists only to be the seat of government. They really aren't similar.

For the record, I don't think either should have representation in Congress or in the electoral college.

9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Well, that's not fair. Seriously they are overseas territories that are important strategically (Guam and PR).

10. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Would make more sense to me for DC's votes to count as part of Maryland for purposes of the Electoral College.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It may not be fair, but the Constitution gave electoral votes to states, not territories.