watch crystal repair

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by CaptainEd, Jan 19, 2008.

1. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

i recently got my great grandfather's gold omega seamaster bumper automatic (late 40s or early 50s) that was a 25 year service watch from his tenure at shell. i need to replace the band but more importantly, the crystal is cracked and needs replacing.

is there anywhere in austin that anyone can recommend for this type of service on either omega watches or vintage watches in general?

gracias.

2. 1990txgirl

1990txgirl 250+ Posts

I would inquire at some of the fine jewelry retailers in town. Copeland's, Russell Korman, and Bailey Banks & Biddle come to mind.

3. TxStHorn

TxStHorn 1,000+ Posts

I have an Omega I bought about 17 years ago.

I don't think there's anybody actually in town who has an Omega repair certification. I've always had to take it to Russel Korman's - they send it up to Omega for service & return.

4. whickums

whickums 250+ Posts

It's not antique but my husband cracked the face of a brand new watch I bought him for our wedding. He sent it to Krueger(?) downtown and they did a great job.

5. crayon1973

crayon1973 500+ Posts

despite the age of the watch, a crystal is a VERY easy general repair. Almost any jewelry store can take care of it. I think Korman and Austin Watch and Jewelry do those repairs in-house so it would be faster to take it to one of those places. As for the band, Austin W&J can probably get you a replacement in the proper vintage. Talk to Joel over there and tell him you are a friend of mine.

6. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

much appreciated, man...i was hoping you'd chime in. [​IMG]

i'm going to pm you as well.

7. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

I have a 1959 Omega Seamaster that was given to me by my grandfather. Do yourself a favor and send it to Omega for repair. They will register the watch and keep papers on it. If you want the watch to keep its value, you must send it to Omega in NYC. An authorized dealer can send it for you. I send mine every two years for tuneup and their customer service is awesome. Omega loves their watches. This is not a Seiko or Timex watch. Would you take a Ferrari to a Ford dealership?

8. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

how much does the omega tune-up run you?

9. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

10. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

that's what i'm looking for here as well - not an everyday wearer. can you either post or pm me the contact info you use? i may go that route for the tune-up & crystal and go to crayon's recs for the band.

11. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

I take mine to the Tourneau store, authorized dealer in my area, and they send it to Omega. If you are in Austin, Russell Korman and Ben Bridge are authorized dealers and they can send your watch for you.

I looked on the Omega website and their repair shop in the Texas is in Dallas. Here's the info.:

Time Tech
    13140 Coit Road, Suite 519
    Dallas TX 75240
    T. 972 644 1774
    F. 972 644 1775

Omega Watches website

Also, Russell Korman or Ben Bridge can appraise the watch whenever you have all the repairs made.

I bought a couple of brown/brack croc looking watch bands on ebay that were inexpensive but very high quality.

12. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

looks like i'll probably go with a local shop here. the certified omega center in dallas informed me that the "bumper automatic" (if that truly is what this watch is) is no longer serviceable - omega does not make parts or do tuneups. the listed price for service is $750 and the watch itself, according to my research is worth about $900-$1000.

13. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

14. crayon1973

crayon1973 500+ Posts

Where had the watch been this whole time?
    [​IMG]