Watching the 69 Arky game on LHN

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by wadster, Oct 24, 2018.

1. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

What is most amazing is how close to the LOS the D's played. Arky has 8 guys within 2 yds of the LOS. Also, hang onto the damn ball. Surprised how loose they held the ball. Oh and get a real face mask.

• Like Like x 1
  2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I always like how quickly the refs called penalties and stepped off the yardage.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

Now THOSE were Stormtrooper Whites, baby!!

4. horninchicago

Which is better? The Peschel catch or the reaction of the clarinet player so overwhelmed she can't play "Texas Fight"?

• Like Like x 3
  5. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Yea, there are some iconic shots during the game of the band and cheerleaders. Ones you won't ever forget. Lost the TO battle 6-1 and still find a way to win. That doesn't happen often.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. horninchicago

In an extremely hostile environment to boot. Nixon had it right in his post game comments about coming back from 14-0, not losing their cool, and winning.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Watching that game shows how much the game has changed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. everette

everette 250+ Posts

I was in a Navy school learning about _______, watching the game with a large crowd in our barracks. Everyone in the room was rooting for Arkansas except me. One other guy there was from Texas, but was an aggy fan. They, especially the aggy, razzed me to no end until we went up 15-14.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

I like how fast the game moved because of the lack of passing, tv timeouts, reviews, etc. Run a play, get up, huddle, run a play, get up, huddle, run a play. No one ran out of bounds, hardly any passing, the clock just kept running.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I remember being 16 years old, at home in Ft. Worth watching the game IN COLOR with my Dad & brother. I was emotionally worn out after that game. If you had told me the Horns would turn the ball over 6 times and still win I would have thought you had lost your mind.... what a gut-wrenching game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I love how Darrell Royal figured out really back in the 50s that it's better to go for 2 after the first touchdown when you're down by 14 in the 4th, and coaches are just now rediscovering this 70 years later.

And James Street's 42 yard TD run was some amazing escapability in the pocket followed by turning on some serious jets. It was like watching a VY play, decades before there was a VY.

I also find it funny how the ref has barely had time to signal "completed catch" and "first down" after that Peschel play before there's already a cheerleader doing flips across the field.

6-2 as they threw another pick trying to come back and win after we went ahead.

• Like Like x 2
  12. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Story goes, on the bus trip from the motel to the field that morning DKR walked back to Slick and told him: "James, I believe this is going to be a low scoring game. For our first touchdown, we'll be going for 2. Just want you to know now."

"Uh, okay, coach." (probably had a look on his face similar to when much later in the game with 4th and long, down 14-8, DKR called 53 Veer Pass to Peschel."

"Are you sure, coach?"

"Yes."

• Hot Hot x 2