Watermelon: Salt or No Salt?

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by 4th_and_18, Jul 12, 2007.

1. 4th_and_18

4th_and_18 100+ Posts

Girlfriend and I are debating this. she freaked out when i put salt on my watermelon. i'm from east texas. she's from austin.

what's your opinion?

Salt?
    No Salt?

2. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer 500+ Posts

Salt. If I'm feeling really exotic, I might make it seasoning salt.

I know people who put chili powder on it. It's "ok" but not my favorite.

3. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

NaCl for me.

4. #3Rules

#3Rules 250+ Posts

I've never heard of any of this ****, I grew up in SA. I may just be uninformed, but I can't even imagine salt on my Watermelon. Why you gotta f**k with Watermelon?

5. 4th_and_18

4th_and_18 100+ Posts

i'm starting to think that this not a central texas thing. it's not a "new" thing either. my grandparents have always eaten salt on the melon.

6. Pimpology

Pimpology 100+ Posts

My mom and grandparents are from Missouri, and they always use salt. I prefer the unaltered sweetness of the melon.

7. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

salt. really brings out the flavor of the watermelon.

8. IRC

IRC 1,000+ Posts

Lee County.

With salt.

(Ever salted an apple?)

9. TX_FLAG

TX_FLAG 25+ Posts

an apple? no, but i will try it now.

10. S197HQQKEM

S197HQQKEM 500+ Posts

Sodium Chloride on my Dihydrogen Monoxide Melon please.

11. Garibaldi

Garibaldi 25+ Posts

A little salt is great on watermelons, cantaloupes, and apples.

Do not try to salt bananas though, a curious 9 year old version of me learned that the hard way. Stick with peanut butter.

12. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

my west texes grandparents and dad put salt on their watermelon.

I usually don't.

13. Luke Duke

Luke Duke 1,000+ Posts

I didn't know that this board was full of commies. Watermelon is perfect by itself.

14. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky 25+ Posts

putting salt on watermelon is like putting ketchup on ice cream

15. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

Growing up putting salt on watermelon was not unusual at all. Today, I prefer it without.

16. ERhine

ERhine 250+ Posts

Never heard of this before.

17. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

salt is best on granny smith apples.

i seriously doubt anyone who degrades a dash of salt on cold watermelon has ever tried it, just bash it because it "doesn't sound right." understandable i guess if you weren't brought up with it, but it is great.

18. Butch Coolidge

Butch Coolidge < 25 Posts

I've tried salt on a watermelon. I didn't like it. It made me feel dirty.

19. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

I can't say it sounds good, but I do love a good salty-sweet flavor combo.

20. ajax

ajax 100+ Posts

Salt can turn a crappy watermelon into an acceptible watermelon. But if a watermelon is at its peak ripeness, then unadulterated is best.

People in Southeast Asia will salt pineapple. Same thing though, if it's a crappy pineapple, then salt will make it better. But don't mess with a pineapple at its peak.

21. shorty

shorty 250+ Posts

Just like the flavor of fine chocolate is enchanced with a pinch of salt, watermelon is better with salt.

I have never salted my apples but I know many who do.

22. Prairie Style

Prairie Style < 25 Posts

23. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

W. T. F. I had never heard of this before today. Frankly, I wish I had never heard of it. Ever.

But, everyone likes what they like.

24. VoodooChi|d

VoodooChi|d 500+ Posts

Watermelon with salt sounds like something Bob Stoops would eat...

25. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

ajax nailed it. A watermelon at its peak is fine without salt, though adding a dash can enhance the flavor even more. A less than perfect melon can become edible by adding salt.

Granny Smith apples are good with salt, but they are much better with peanut butter or cheese slices (pretty much any common cheese other than American). A sliced apple on a plate with a dollop of PB and some slices of Longhorn Cheddar makes an awesome snack. It's either/or for the accessories. Do not put both cheese and PB on the apple; that's just gross.

I only eat bananas with peanut butter if I am making a sandwich.

26. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer 500+ Posts

BTW - I suggest using a nice freshly cracked sea salt. None of that iodized salt powder that comes in the blue tube.

Fresh tomatoes out of the garden are also fantastic with a little salt and fresh cracked pepper. Cantaloupe is also really nice with salt. Sometimes salt AND pepper.

Salt makes almost anything better. I think I could take a turd and sprinkle some fresh cracked salt and pepper on it and it would be good.

27. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke 500+ Posts

Salt on WM is far from a "new" thing. I don't dislike it, but I prefer mine w/o.

My G-parents, framers from Locust Grove Tx, ate salt on melon regularly.

Here's one that oughta make y'all's head spin. A pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper, is delicious on a bowl of mixed fruit, with a dollop of yogurt on top.

28. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

I like it both ways actually.

As a matter of fact I am having a fruit salad right now for lunch consisting of sliced strawberries, cantolope and bananas with a dash of salt and black pepper.

You should try it sometime.

Oh and one thing that goes really good with some chopped watermelon in a Ziplock bag is Tito's.
    Especially on the beach in Port Aransas. [​IMG]

29. TJKDone

TJKDone < 25 Posts

Lazy...TMI on the universal benefit of salt.

My whole family likes salt on Watermelon whether it is ripe or not.

I prefer no salt.

Hook'em

[​IMG]

30. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts

I don't put salt on it now, but did when I was a kid. My folks grew up in west Texas (San Angelo and Sweetwater).

I am going to try it again this weekend.