WC 2010 Draw

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by BA93, Dec 4, 2009.

1. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

US gets England in their first game

2. hornfanuk

hornfanuk 100+ Posts

That's going to be a great game, but I wish it wasn't in the first round.
    Algeria and Slovenia added to the group now.

3. OrngNugz

OrngNugz 500+ Posts

Welcome back to World Cup N Korea.. good luck with that one.

4. History Horn

History Horn 100+ Posts

I was pissed as hell when Mexico got drawn into the South Africa group. My thoughts were that this is going to be another "Group of Cake" for them again this WC.

It turned out to be pretty even when they got France out of Pot 4.

I think the US draw is one to be happy with. England is tough, but we match up pretty well with them. We've got strong athletes to match up with them and as long as we can handle their set pieces, I think we can get points.

Algeria is the absolute best possible side to get out of pot 3 for us. And finishing with Slovenia....things could have certainly been worse out of the Pot 4 with the Euro sides.

Things will be in our hands. Take a point from England, and we can beat both Algeria and Slovenia.

Hook 'em & Go Yanks

5. baylorbear245

baylorbear245 100+ Posts

I'm pumped for england! our group very manageable so i look forward to seeing how the U.S. holds up. USA! USA!

6. hookem2003

hookem2003 500+ Posts

We are expected to get out of our group. Now after that:

Germany's in a tough group so we may not draw them in the round of 16 with a little luck. If we don't get them then it's a pretty even match.

Win that and you likely play either Argentina or France in round of 8. Both big names w/ big players, but neither team has played worth a damn in qualifying. Both lucky to even make the tourney - there's a chance.

Semis could be vs. Spain, who we beat in South Africa this year already.

Draw Brazil/Dutch/suprise team in final? Remember we were leading Brazil 2-0 at half last time we played them. That's right: this year in SA.

In no way am I saying it's likely, but none of those games are a wing and a prayer. It's reasonable to think we would have at least a chance to win every one of those games. Crazy.

Grant Wahl at SI breaks it down pretty well

sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/grant_wahl/12/04/wcup.draw/index.html?eref=sihp

7. LondonOllie

LondonOllie 250+ Posts

Bring it *******!

[​IMG]

8. overmaars

overmaars 1,000+ Posts

The European squads are going to suffer in the South African heat.

9. ilsa

ilsa 100+ Posts

10. overmaars

overmaars 1,000+ Posts

Thanks Ilsa. I'm an idiot. I forgot the seasons were reversed. [​IMG] Clearly I've never been to South Africa.

11. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

The draw could not have gone better for the US absent being drawn into South Africa's group without France having been added. The US should be favored to advance to the second round and that is the goal they must achieve. The US has advanced out of the group stage every other Cup having failed in 90, advanced in 94 on U.S. soil, failed in 98 then advanced in 02 and failed again in 06. If form holds this is the Cup they will advance in. In addition the US has advanced every time the Cup is not held on European soil so that is to our benefit as well. Something about games in Europe just guts the US team. Brazil's group will be fascinating and the top two teams in Brazil and Spain are drawn together in the elimination rounds. Interesting stuff today.

12. 1899horn

1899horn 500+ Posts

Who would have thought that it would be Honduras who got the CONCAshaft.

It's about time that Brazil gets a tough group. Ivory coast will survive, and they will make the semis. Allez les elephants!!

Mexico and the US caught huge breaks. Holland's group is pretty interesting as well.

13. History Horn

History Horn 100+ Posts

Agreed. There should be two CONCACAF teams that advance into the knockouts.

I actually like our draw slightly better than the Mexies. Recent form notwithstanding, I think you can equate England and France. South Africa should be a win for Mexico, but the whole home side thing would scare me a little.

Fortunate draws for both countries. Let's see what our boys can make of the good fortune.

Hook 'em & Go Yanks

14. ilsa

ilsa 100+ Posts